mtbr member
    Dec 2006

To do or not to do.....

I have an 05 Stumpy FSR Expert for which I've put about 3500 miles on. It has been a great all around XC bike. I'm thinking of switching the 100 MM fox fork that came with it to either the fox 32 F120 or the Talas 32 (100-120-140MM of travel). So my question is will I notice much difference from the 100MM to the 120MM? Or should I go to the Talas 32? I know the 05 Stumpy Pro came with a 120mm fork. I'm pretty sure Specialized would not recommend having a 1400mm fork on this bike. I'm pretty certain most of the time I would have it on the 1200mm but thinking the option of the 140mm would be nice on some rough single track runs. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    A 140mm fork would probably void your warranty, but would probably work just fine aside from a different geometry while riding.

There is an aftermarket rear linkage you can purchase that will also increase your rear travel. The StumpJumpers that had 120mm forks also had 120mm of rear travel. If you are going to get a longer travel fork, you should also increase your rear travel IMO.

So to answer your question, yes you will notice a difference in increased travel.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    The notion of running 140mm on your Stumpy should be dismissed. Supporting your idea for more travel you 'could' run that Talas32 but keep it 120mm and lower...thinking for the money of that Talas, I would rather seek a hot deal on a Reba Race (80-120mm) and have some money left over.
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks Pop-M..... I didn't even think of the rear suspension. So this poses another question... is it worth spending the money on a 2005 model year bike, or just buy a new one or slightly used one with all components being newer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll look into the Reba Race. Is it as good as the Fox? I have not had any problems with my Fox fork, other than two fluid and seal replacements in over 3K miles of riding.

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    Is the Reba as good as the Fox? I feel the new Reba is a very worthy item...as good as the Talas? Sure. Better? Arguable. Both are a solid choice. I would just venture to say the unused 20mm of travel hiding in the Talas would be a waste of money.
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you 100% certain you currently have a 100mm fox fork? I have a UK 05 Stumpy FSR Expert lurking at the back of my shed and it came with a 130mm Fox TALAS RL. I think the FSR XC range had 100mm forks, but the Stumpjumpers had 120/130mm.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    There were 2 US versions of the stumpjumper expert in 05 - 120mm rear and 100mm rear. The 120 came with a 130mm talas, the 100 came with a 100mm rl. He must have the 100 version of the bike. If so I would 2nd the idea that if he goes with a new 120 or 130mm fork he should get the BETD link and increase the rear end to 120.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yep I have the 100mm fork with the same in the rear. So if I replace the front fork with the 120mm one and do nothing to the back link, will this make the bike handle odd? I know it will change the geometry of the bike. But what does that really mean? Has anyone had their bike set up with more travel in the front than rear? IE: 120mm front and 100mm in the back?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    yes, theoretically the handling would be slower since the head angle would be kicked back a bit.

Most people with your generation stumpy really like the betd link for other reasons besides the travel increase. Its stiffer than the stock link and the bearings at all the pivots are alot smoother than stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If I get the BEDT link I can just keep my Triad shock right? Or do In need a 4 inch travel shock? I was thinking of using the 130mm setting.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You don't need a different shock, the link just changes the mounting points.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I assume the BB height will end up being the same as the stock 120mm models, so this isn't something to be concerned about?