mtbr member

Do I need to trim the rubber off my Mountain Sport shoes?

I own a pair of 2011 Specialized Mountain Sport shoes that have been used with Shimano M520 SPD pedals. I recently purchased a pair of Time ATAC ROC pedals and installed the Time cleats on my Moutain Sport shoes. Sometimes I have a hard time clipping out of the Time pedals because the sides of the ATAC bars get hung up on the inside cut-outs on the shoe soles. For example, when I twist my ankle out to unclip I also need to pull up at the end of the twist in order to get the shoe off the pedal. I can see black marks where the side of the pedal bars rub up against the inside edges of the rubber cut-outs. The shoe’s owners manual says that the sole will need to be cut if used with Time pedals, however it does not say how much rubber need to be removed. Does anybody have know how much rubber to cut off my shoes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting. I'm having a near identical problem (Specialized Sport MTB w/ Time X-ROC S)

Mountain Man Dan
    I have a pair of new Specialized shoes, and Shimano m540 pedals. I also had to trim the rubber. ( it's more like hard as **** plastic ), hard to trim. I just trimmed a valley on each side of the cleat where it goes over the pedal spindle ( on both sides of the shoe). That fixed it, and in a couple rides there will be a black spot on the rubber parts that are still touching.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    That fixed it, and in a couple rides there will be a black spot on the rubber parts that are still touching.
    Thanks, Dan. I have the "black mark" now, exactly as bwalton describes above.
    Are you saying the marks made after the modification indicate there's still a problem,
    or all is perfectly fine?

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by PDutch View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I have the "black mark" now, exactly as bwalton describes above.
    Are you saying the marks made after the modification indicate there's still a problem,
    or all is perfectly fine?
    The marks are from the paint on the pedal spindle and other areas where the rubber is still touching. I would trim until there is no more black marks.

The only thing that should be touching is the cleat into the pedal.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's unfortunate I have to do this, but here goes the utility knife to rubber (or hard as **** plastic)
    Thanks again.

Mountain Man Dan
    It's unfortunate I have to do this, but here goes the utility knife to rubber (or hard as **** plastic)
    Thanks again.
    Good luck. It's hard to cut!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, it's a helluva carve job (I did my best to keep it clean). Not sure if it's the Time's float, so it's still quite an angle to disengage, but at least I am disengaging. Maybe a break-in period is required to advance any smoothness. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Another option is to shim the cleat. I went that route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ahh... after I hacked & whacked an otherwise fine pair of shoes. Ha.
    Is there a generic sort of shim or does Specialize offer a set?
    If tomorrow's ride still turns ugly, I may explore this less invasive route.

mtbr member
    Ahh... after I hacked & whacked an otherwise fine pair of shoes. Ha.
    Is there a generic sort of shim or does Specialize offer a set?
    If tomorrow's ride still turns ugly, I may explore this less invasive route.
    The shims should have came with the cleats for the pedals. They are just thin pieces of plastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Guess I need to contact Time. There were no shims included.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Specialized Expert + Time ATAC XS Carbon

I'm also having the exact same problem with my setup (specialized expert + time atac xs) where the inside sole is rubbing against the pedal engagement bar when I try to unclip.

Can this issue be solved with using the CB shoe shield or is it really necessary to mod the shoe soles?

Thanks,
    ckc
    Last edited by ckc527; 10-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.