mtbr member
    May 2011

Disc Brake Newbie Question

I purchased a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er over the weekend and this is my first disc brake bike. My question today is about storage. Can these bikes be hung upside down from the wheels on the ceiling or will I damage the bike in some way? Do they need stored right side up? I don't want to start leaking fluids or anything like that? Just figuring out a way to store them in the garage. Thanks.
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothie7 View Post
    I purchased a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er over the weekend and this is my first disc brake bike. My question today is about storage. Can these bikes be hung upside down from the wheels on the ceiling or will I damage the bike in some way? Do they need stored right side up? I don't want to start leaking fluids or anything like that? Just figuring out a way to store them in the garage. Thanks.
    The master cylinders (on the levers) will not leak.

<100%
    Putting a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down will sometimes let air bubbles migrate into places they should not be (master cylinder, calipers). If your brakes are bled properly, it should not be a problem. As you start getting towards that point where you need a bleed, problems are more likely to occur. If the brakes go a bit flat, pump them up. If that works, pencil in a brake bleed for the near future. if it doesn't, it's time to bleed the brakes.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Putting a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down will sometimes let air bubbles migrate into places they should not be (master cylinder, calipers). If your brakes are bled properly, it should not be a problem. As you start getting towards that point where you need a bleed, problems are more likely to occur. If the brakes go a bit flat, pump them up. If that works, pencil in a brake bleed for the near future. if it doesn't, it's time to bleed the brakes.
    Any air in the line (between the calliper & the lever) will affect braking regardless of where it is in the system (Master cylinder, hose or calliper). Having the bike upside down won't change this - the brakes should be bled.