mtbr member

New question here. Disc brake conversion for 2000 Specialized S-WORKS FSR XC?

This began with a query to find replacement bushings for my rear triangle.
    See thread:
    Replacement rear bushings for 2000 S-WORKS Specialized FSR XC
    Now my best friend has told me that my life will be all perfect if I go to disc brakes
    I love this 2000 Specialized S-WORKS FSR XC frame and the Specialized dealer I bought it from even said it is one of the best and lightest frames and not to replace it...

Via this forum I was made aware:
    1. That BETD bicycle components makes a rear seatstay to upgrade my frame to disc.
    https://www.betd.co.uk/
    2. That Specialized makes a disc upgrade for this. ( ? )

How will this conversion affect my bike's weight? I will be upgrading my 2001 CrossMax wheels to lighter CrossMax SL Disc. I am currently running 2000 XTR brakes.

Any other assistance would be appreciated.

Muchos gracias.
    Last edited by sklein; 08-10-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Specialized used to sell a "shark fin" to bolt on a disk mount to the FSR frame seat stays.

Last I heard they were sold out (but it is still working checking) but you might be able to find one used for sale some where.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

converted my 99 FSR XC Pro

using the Specialized adaptor. I went with Avid mechanicals, cause they're cheap and they work. Most any disc brake set up will be heavier than a V brake set up. However, that said, the performance improvement regardless of weather is the biggest improvement.

The Avid mechanicals(as well now as some others) are compatible with your linear pull v brake levers. So if you have a combo shift/brake set up, you don't need to replace anything on the bars.

If your getting a big $$ wheelset, you might just be offsetting some of the weight anyway.

Now, speaking of the adaptor, aka "shark fin" from Specialized, I have my old one available for sale. I know it cost $50 new, and was used for about three seasons. It comes with all the hardware and instructions. I don't know if they're on e-bay that often, so I am unsure of the value.

I would sell mine for $40 shipped.

I understand that some later model disc chainstay's are also a direct fit to the older frame. Let me know if your interested in the adaptor.

mtbr member
    2K Sworks was really nice ride!

The BETD link is nice
    Risse also has a link
    I road a MRP XRated link with MRP bearing kit in the dropouts. Kickin mod!

2001-02 FSR RockHoppers had the same frame design and had disc tabs.
    I think that if you need bushings ask Spec for this frame parts, they should have them
    But I am not totally sure, I have just seen the bikes not taken them apart

I too have a "Shark Fin", mad hard to find, but I was thinking about selling
    I was going to put it on my Wifes FSR Elite but she weighs 100 wet so V's are fine.

Disc always adds weight over a good VBrake setup.

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Thanks Crashmaster.
    I e-mailed These Risse folks.

mtbr member
    After I posted this I looked at Risse and though the printed catalog showed a link the website no longer does. Maybe the catalog was old?

They also showed a bearing kit but that is also not on the site. A buddy had their link a couple of years ago and it look cool and worked well, but I like the MRP better as it had upper and lower bearings and fit a regular DU bushing and alloy spacers.

I also found that with the adjustable geo you could run a 100mm fork well with the MRP

MRP still lists the XRated:
    http://www.mrpbike.com/product-xrated.php
    But they no longer sell the bearing kits.

The only issues I have heard with BETD is the CS issues being in England an all.

RideOn!