mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Disaligned Specialized frames?

The Fox DHX 5.0 on my 2006 Specialized SX Trail II spilled out all its oil yesterday. I have ridden the bike less than 10 times without any big drops. The biggest is maybe 6 foot to tranny. The spring rate should be correct for me as adviced by spring calculators on Mojo UK and TF Tuned. The sag is also within the adviced range. I contacted the official Finnish Fox Service Center and they will do warranty repair no problem, but they adviced me to check that the frame is straight ie. there is no alignment problem present. I'm going to check the frame/shock-mount alignment this evening but I was wondering how commonplace this kind of issue has been with Specialized? The Fox Service Center guy said that he has seen atleast Norco, Intense and Specialized frames with this issue and I know personally two guys in Finland that received disaligned Intense VPX frames, but I think in their case the problem was just that the shock mount holes weren't drilled straight.

mtbr member

Not much help, but...

...I "heard" that the reason why there were so many 5th Element problems with the Enduros was possibly due to alignment issues. To me this makes sense as some people have had nothing but headaches with their shocks and other people have not had any problems whatsoever.

If alignment issues are the source of the problem then it doesn't surprise me that you would have the blowout that you just experienced, regardless of the shock. As far as how to tell if you have alignment issues, or how to fix them if you do, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I love my Enduro and it's a shame that so many people have had problems with them. I feel like I am on a ticking time bomb with no alternative if or when it does blow. Makes me want to go all hardtail, all the time.
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I inspected the frame by first unmounting the shock from top and then from bottom mountpoints. I noticed zero sideways disalignment which was quite a relief. At this point I have to assume that there simply was some kind of manufacturing defect with the shock itself. I guess I have to wait and see how long the repaired shock lasts. The nearby Bike Park opens quite soon so the bike will be getting more punishment then.