Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

No good Different 2007 Enduro SL Fork and Frame Problems!

Hi Folks,

Iím writing because my Enduro SL Pro has developed a fork problem Iíve not seen discussed in other threads. Also I have an additional issue regarding the bumper on the fork stanchion denting the frame.

To correctly sag the fork for my weight I have to use approximately 78psi. At that pressure the fork doesnít return to full extension on its own. Iím losing a little over 8 mm of travel due to this situation. My LBS has some parts from Specialized that they will hopefully use to fix that problem when I take the bike to them this coming Monday. Iíve seen a number of posts concerning this situation but no explanation as to why itís happening. According to my LBS the lowest pressure that should ever be run is 70psi.

However, today I went to adjust the compression on the fork. The lever, which is supposed to have 8-9 clicks from lock to lock if I remember correctly, just continually turned without ever hitting a stop in either direction. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didnít get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling canít totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isnít a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?

All the aforementioned issues aside I love this bike! I can only hope that Specialized steps up and handles these problems as theyíve rectified the problems that other folks have already had. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your story if youíve experienced similar problems.

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Upset Sounds like a different problem

Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.
    Hi catnash,

Thanks for sharing your experience. However it sounds like your fork is working correctly regarding the return to full extension. It sounds like youíre talking about going from the short travel position to the long travel position. Mine works as you describe; move the lever to the correct position, take the weight off the fork and it returns. My fork doesnít come to full extension when you get off the bike after Iíve been riding it in the long travel position for many miles. I have to literally put one hand on the tire and pull on the handlebars to get the fork to fully extend. Iíve seen a number of other posts regarding this issue. Weíll see if Specialized has a fix. I agree with you that, other than these problems, the bike is a dream to peddle!

Thanks again,

Michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. Several Questions???

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeAl
    Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.
    Hi Al,

Several Questions:

How many millimeters of sag are you setting in the fork? What pressure are you running in your fork to attain that much sag? How much do you weigh? Do you reach full extension if you run 90+psi in the fork? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Michael

mtbr member

Correct Sag

I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
    For me; Want and Need are much the same thing...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Listen! Setting Sag isn't the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocroc
    I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
    Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Iím not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesnít come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after Iíve dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel. Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork. Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!

Thanks,

Michael

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Iím not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesnít come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after Iíve dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel. Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork. Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!

Thanks,

Michael
    Mine is the same with 77.5 PSI, though when my fork goes for service I'm sure any known problems will be done then? That's what TF Tuned do with other forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?
    Hi wheelhot,

Here is what happened to my bike:

"Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didnít get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling canít totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isnít a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?"

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Having a similar problem with my fork. Has developed bad stiction very quickly. I need to put 10psi less than recommended in to get it to settle into sag while stationary as it's binding badly. With the right pressure in it sticks so much there is no small bump compliance with compression fully off. Tried to convince myself that it was a break in issue/in my head because the shop I bought if from is a fair trek away due to availability issues in Ireland (live in Dublin bought in Belfast). Left leg is now showing oil marks that don't get wiped away by the seals and is fairly resistant to rubbing with gloved fingers-the curse of the early adopter comes home to roost. Going back to the shop asap-400k round trip nice-

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    How many hours have you ridden the fork? Mine has a similar feel with stiction, going to lube the foam rings when I get the chance, Let us know what the shop tells you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didn’t get my foot unclipped and fell to the left.
    Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.

Wuss extraordinare
    Michael,
    Bummer on the bike dude, on the other hand do you wanna ride on Friday, what does your schedule look like, I'm thinking of going out in the afternoon, maybe Auburn for a few shuttle runs if enough people can go?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. Is that the best thing you can think to say?

Quote Originally Posted by djska
    Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL!
    Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
    2. If sarcasm is your goalÖ.try for something that isnít so weak.
    3. Next timeÖ.only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,

Michael

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmines
    In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.
    One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
    2. If sarcasm is your goal….try for something that isn’t so weak.
    3. Next time….only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,

Michael
    I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.
    I'll give that a try-certainly preferable to the long drive to my not so local LBS drive-the shop have ordered in replacement forks so at least the warranty is working, but I'd prefer if the forks were working...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Let me add my apology to the mix

Quote Originally Posted by djska
    I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.
    Hi djska,

Let me add my apology to the mix since after re-reading the thread it looks to me like I over reacted to your comments. Iíll also admit to be anxious over what Specialized will do to fix these problems since Iím enjoying this bike immensely. I find it to be a really fun trail bike. Iím falling in love with going up hill again after years of stunts, jumps and downhill thrills. I hope you're enjoying your custom build. It would be interesting to hear what you thought of using a different fork on this bike. Have you ridden a stock version as well as your custom build?

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    In regards to the fork issues:

I would personally contact Specialized's warranty department and see what they have to say. Keep in mind that these forks are brand new and they are still working some of the bugs out. I think that the suspension engineers would definately like to know what's happening with the fork, it'll only help them produce a better product in the future.

mtbr member
    Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?
    Not on any of my Specd bikes, but my buddy put a huge dent in the middle of his top tube by the bike falling over onto his knee while in a crouhed position lubing the chain while it was leaning against a wall. This is perhaps the most benign fall ever, Mike didnt even get a bruise or have any pain. We didnt realize the TT was damaged till we got to the trail and saw it. We couldnt believe such a minor incident could have caused such damage, but it did. That was 2 years ago, still rides the same bike today w/o issue.

ps the bike was a giant nrs

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    hi michaelsnead,
    yes,its true - the rubber bumper dents the frame.it happened to me also at slower then walking speed, jumped off the bike, which landed on the left side of the handlebar and put a dent in the downtube. i could live with a 2oz reinforcement to prevent this from happening. my dealer (he has sold me about 6 high end specialized bikes over the years) was positive he could get a new frame. as it turns out specialized was highly uncooperative and is totally ignoring this complaint. i love the bike but think this will happen to most riders who actually ride the enduro sl and didnt just buy it to look at it.
    was hoping to have something more positive to say in my first post-of course the dials on the fork did not work at all at first, no sign of clicks, super stiff, just loosened after a couple rides, and now it does let me adjust the rebound and compression w/o breaking into a sweat.

mike
    Last edited by mikey29; 05-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Not on any of my Specd bikes, but my buddy put a huge dent in the middle of his top tube by the bike falling over onto his knee while in a crouhed position lubing the chain while it was leaning against a wall. This is perhaps the most benign fall ever, Mike didnt even get a bruise or have any pain. We didnt realize the TT was damaged till we got to the trail and saw it. We couldnt believe such a minor incident could have caused such damage, but it did. That was 2 years ago, still rides the same bike today w/o issue.

ps the bike was a giant nrs

wayne
    Mmm, not trying to put any possible problems with the SL under the carpet, but only after reading it closely I realized it was not an SL you're talking about!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi djska,
    Let me add my apology to the mix since after re-reading the thread it looks to me like I over reacted to your comments. Iíll also admit to be anxious over what Specialized will do to fix these problems since Iím enjoying this bike immensely. I find it to be a really fun trail bike. Iím falling in love with going up hill again after years of stunts, jumps and downhill thrills. I hope you're enjoying your custom build. It would be interesting to hear what you thought of using a different fork on this bike. Have you ridden a stock version as well as your custom build?
    I just bought the frame 2nd hand without the fork, so I don't have an opinion about the E150 fork. I just happened the have a Fox Talas 130mm and put it on. I've been enjoying the bike immensely. Previous bike was an FSR04. I really like the frame, feels very stiff, fast climber, fast descender, although the fork may now be the bottleneck.

This week I checked the shock pressure, adjusted it to more precisely match my weight, lubricated the shaft, and checked the bolt, loosened it and fastened it again. Yesterday on a rough course, I noticed the rear end was going to the travel way too fast, making a cluncking noise. When pedalling even at the firmest compression setting the rear end bobbed way too much. At home I found out this noise was caused by the shock bolt to the frame (the one I loosened a bit). I tested this by lifting the rear end by the saddle and dropping it. Fastening the bolt seems to get rid of the noise. Pressure (and sag) was still okay, I increased the pressure 10psi (from 140) and will test it again.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast