Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

No good Different 2007 Enduro SL Fork and Frame Problems!

Hi Folks,

Iím writing because my Enduro SL Pro has developed a fork problem Iíve not seen discussed in other threads. Also I have an additional issue regarding the bumper on the fork stanchion denting the frame.

To correctly sag the fork for my weight I have to use approximately 78psi. At that pressure the fork doesnít return to full extension on its own. Iím losing a little over 8 mm of travel due to this situation. My LBS has some parts from Specialized that they will hopefully use to fix that problem when I take the bike to them this coming Monday. Iíve seen a number of posts concerning this situation but no explanation as to why itís happening. According to my LBS the lowest pressure that should ever be run is 70psi.

However, today I went to adjust the compression on the fork. The lever, which is supposed to have 8-9 clicks from lock to lock if I remember correctly, just continually turned without ever hitting a stop in either direction. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didnít get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling canít totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isnít a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?

All the aforementioned issues aside I love this bike! I can only hope that Specialized steps up and handles these problems as theyíve rectified the problems that other folks have already had. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your story if youíve experienced similar problems.

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Upset Sounds like a different problem

Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    I use similar pressures to you on the front and I know what you mean about the return, though I just unweigh the front and it slides back out, No problems with the rebound clicks, or the compression dial yet. Bit worried to hear re:those bump stops denting the frame though, let us know what specialized tell you. So far this bike lives up to my wildest dreams of what I wanted from one bike.
    Hi catnash,

Thanks for sharing your experience. However it sounds like your fork is working correctly regarding the return to full extension. It sounds like youíre talking about going from the short travel position to the long travel position. Mine works as you describe; move the lever to the correct position, take the weight off the fork and it returns. My fork doesnít come to full extension when you get off the bike after Iíve been riding it in the long travel position for many miles. I have to literally put one hand on the tire and pull on the handlebars to get the fork to fully extend. Iíve seen a number of other posts regarding this issue. Weíll see if Specialized has a fix. I agree with you that, other than these problems, the bike is a dream to peddle!

Thanks again,

Michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. Several Questions???

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeAl
    Huh, I just checked on my bike and it does something similar. If I compress it a few times and then let off, it extends almost all the way back. If I lift the bike up, the fork extends a tiny bit more. I really never noticed this before and I don't see why it matters at all. If you're on the bike, the fork will sag at least that much, if you're not on the bike then it doesn't really matter what the fork is doing.

That having been said, I'd be interested to hear if Specialized or your LBS thinks this is actually a problem or a sign of problems to come.
    Hi Al,

Several Questions:

How many millimeters of sag are you setting in the fork? What pressure are you running in your fork to attain that much sag? How much do you weigh? Do you reach full extension if you run 90+psi in the fork? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Michael

mtbr member

Correct Sag

I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
    For me; Want and Need are much the same thing...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Listen! Setting Sag isn't the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocroc
    I am running 80psi and getting 35mm sag. I am 75kg (165lb). Found no problem at all getting the correct sag. Best advice is to watch the suspension setup videos on the Spec web site. Real easy to follow instruction...
    Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Iím not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesnít come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after Iíve dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel. Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork. Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!

Thanks,

Michael

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi Rocroc,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Iím not aware of anyone having a problem setting the sag on this bike. The issue arises when you need to use less than 80psi in order to get the correct 25% (37.5mm) of sag as defined by the manual and the videos. With less than 80psi a number of folks have found that the fork doesnít come back to full extension on its own. In my case, even after Iíve dismounted the bike the fork sits 8mm into the travel unless I manually extend the fork to its full travel. Additionally, my fork compression adjustment lever spins freely and infinitely in either direction with no effect on the fork. Have you experienced either of these problems? Finally, I agree that the videos are well done and an excellent resource for the theory of suspension set up as well as the instructions specific to this bike. Kudos to Specialized for producing them!

Thanks,

Michael
    Mine is the same with 77.5 PSI, though when my fork goes for service I'm sure any known problems will be done then? That's what TF Tuned do with other forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hmm, I have a question about triple and double crown fork though, since the fork stanctions is between the frame, what happen when you crash? My single crown fork ended up facing me when I fell, so I wonder what happen to your bike if you fell and what happen to your bike?
    Hi wheelhot,

Here is what happened to my bike:

"Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didnít get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling canít totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isnít a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?"

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Having a similar problem with my fork. Has developed bad stiction very quickly. I need to put 10psi less than recommended in to get it to settle into sag while stationary as it's binding badly. With the right pressure in it sticks so much there is no small bump compliance with compression fully off. Tried to convince myself that it was a break in issue/in my head because the shop I bought if from is a fair trek away due to availability issues in Ireland (live in Dublin bought in Belfast). Left leg is now showing oil marks that don't get wiped away by the seals and is fairly resistant to rubbing with gloved fingers-the curse of the early adopter comes home to roost. Going back to the shop asap-400k round trip nice-

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    How many hours have you ridden the fork? Mine has a similar feel with stiction, going to lube the foam rings when I get the chance, Let us know what the shop tells you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didn’t get my foot unclipped and fell to the left.
    Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.

Wuss extraordinare
    Michael,
    Bummer on the bike dude, on the other hand do you wanna ride on Friday, what does your schedule look like, I'm thinking of going out in the afternoon, maybe Auburn for a few shuttle runs if enough people can go?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. Is that the best thing you can think to say?

Quote Originally Posted by djska
    Only advanced riders should be allowed access to an advanced bike such as the Enduro SL!
    Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
    2. If sarcasm is your goalÖ.try for something that isnít so weak.
    3. Next timeÖ.only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,

Michael

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmines
    In response to Catnashs question; about 20-25 hours on my fork-which is probably a good way through its service life if I remember the manual-why did I ever leave marzocchi Fit and forget sound very appealing now. I'll let you know what the shop says.
    One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi djska,

I have three suggestions for you:

1. Get a Life!
    2. If sarcasm is your goal….try for something that isn’t so weak.
    3. Next time….only respond if you have something positive to add to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing,

Michael
    I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    One thing you could try, upend the bike overnight and the lube in the foam ring will be replenished. The Specialized Warranty in the UK is second to none, I have never had to use them though.
    I'll give that a try-certainly preferable to the long drive to my not so local LBS drive-the shop have ordered in replacement forks so at least the warranty is working, but I'd prefer if the forks were working...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Let me add my apology to the mix

I apologize for this, couldn't help it, reminded me of a similar fall I had with my first mountain bike 10 years okay. From your pics it looks like you are quite a capable rider.
    Hi djska,

Let me add my apology to the mix since after re-reading the thread it looks to me like I over reacted to your comments. Iíll also admit to be anxious over what Specialized will do to fix these problems since Iím enjoying this bike immensely. I find it to be a really fun trail bike. Iím falling in love with going up hill again after years of stunts, jumps and downhill thrills. I hope you're enjoying your custom build. It would be interesting to hear what you thought of using a different fork on this bike. Have you ridden a stock version as well as your custom build?

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    In regards to the fork issues:

I would personally contact Specialized's warranty department and see what they have to say. Keep in mind that these forks are brand new and they are still working some of the bugs out. I think that the suspension engineers would definately like to know what's happening with the fork, it'll only help them produce a better product in the future.

mtbr member
    Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?
    Not on any of my Specd bikes, but my buddy put a huge dent in the middle of his top tube by the bike falling over onto his knee while in a crouhed position lubing the chain while it was leaning against a wall. This is perhaps the most benign fall ever, Mike didnt even get a bruise or have any pain. We didnt realize the TT was damaged till we got to the trail and saw it. We couldnt believe such a minor incident could have caused such damage, but it did. That was 2 years ago, still rides the same bike today w/o issue.

ps the bike was a giant nrs

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    hi michaelsnead,
    yes,its true - the rubber bumper dents the frame.it happened to me also at slower then walking speed, jumped off the bike, which landed on the left side of the handlebar and put a dent in the downtube. i could live with a 2oz reinforcement to prevent this from happening. my dealer (he has sold me about 6 high end specialized bikes over the years) was positive he could get a new frame. as it turns out specialized was highly uncooperative and is totally ignoring this complaint. i love the bike but think this will happen to most riders who actually ride the enduro sl and didnt just buy it to look at it.
    was hoping to have something more positive to say in my first post-of course the dials on the fork did not work at all at first, no sign of clicks, super stiff, just loosened after a couple rides, and now it does let me adjust the rebound and compression w/o breaking into a sweat.

mike
    Last edited by mikey29; 05-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Not on any of my Specd bikes, but my buddy put a huge dent in the middle of his top tube by the bike falling over onto his knee while in a crouhed position lubing the chain while it was leaning against a wall. This is perhaps the most benign fall ever, Mike didnt even get a bruise or have any pain. We didnt realize the TT was damaged till we got to the trail and saw it. We couldnt believe such a minor incident could have caused such damage, but it did. That was 2 years ago, still rides the same bike today w/o issue.

ps the bike was a giant nrs

wayne
    Mmm, not trying to put any possible problems with the SL under the carpet, but only after reading it closely I realized it was not an SL you're talking about!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi djska,
    Let me add my apology to the mix since after re-reading the thread it looks to me like I over reacted to your comments. Iíll also admit to be anxious over what Specialized will do to fix these problems since Iím enjoying this bike immensely. I find it to be a really fun trail bike. Iím falling in love with going up hill again after years of stunts, jumps and downhill thrills. I hope you're enjoying your custom build. It would be interesting to hear what you thought of using a different fork on this bike. Have you ridden a stock version as well as your custom build?
    I just bought the frame 2nd hand without the fork, so I don't have an opinion about the E150 fork. I just happened the have a Fox Talas 130mm and put it on. I've been enjoying the bike immensely. Previous bike was an FSR04. I really like the frame, feels very stiff, fast climber, fast descender, although the fork may now be the bottleneck.

This week I checked the shock pressure, adjusted it to more precisely match my weight, lubricated the shaft, and checked the bolt, loosened it and fastened it again. Yesterday on a rough course, I noticed the rear end was going to the travel way too fast, making a cluncking noise. When pedalling even at the firmest compression setting the rear end bobbed way too much. At home I found out this noise was caused by the shock bolt to the frame (the one I loosened a bit). I tested this by lifting the rear end by the saddle and dropping it. Fastening the bolt seems to get rid of the noise. Pressure (and sag) was still okay, I increased the pressure 10psi (from 140) and will test it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Problems...

Am I the only one NOT having problems with the bike?
    Just curious.

K

mtbr member

No good Different Riding Problems

I read this thread because I am in the market for an SL bike. After haven ridden a 35 pound Reign for 2 years I can appreciate the use of a 27-30 pound 6 inch travel bike.

But along with lightness comes some sort of comprmise. Usually it is strength. My 35 pound bike was built with DH rims and tires. Sure is was 2 pounds lighter with crossmax XL's but those rims flexed and the XC tires got too many pinch flats.

So your frame dented. What do you expect from such a light bike with a triple clamp fork? Where do you think the weight went? It came out the largest and heaviest part of the bike, the frame. And hey you crashed. Some people break their arms or legs on small crashes. So why would you not expect to maybe break a bike part, even on a small crash.

And about the sag of the fork. Who cares if yor sag is not correct at 76 psi because the low pressure is causing the topout spring to over power the main air spring. If I were you I would be more worried about getting the pressure correct so as not to bottom the fork on the huge wooden stunts you are dropping off of. Or to get the pressure correct so you can get maximum travel while bombing Butcher runs with out bottoming the fork more than once or twice.

You cant get your shock pressure setting from a book or off of the interweb. You can only get the settings that are correct for your body type and riding style by actually going out and riding and trying different pressure settings in real word riding conditions. Not buy sitting on your bike going nowhere and checking the "SAG."

To sum it up. Your post helped me absolutley zero in coming to a conclusion in making a purchase of the Enduro SL. From the sounds of it you really should go out, ride your bike and push the limits of the frame and fork. Then come back and give us some useful information about the bike not what is written on the intraweb or in the "Service Manual."

Booyakasha!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My Enduro SL

Ride, Ride, Ride... still kicking a$$.
    Love it.
    Love it.

My balls are getting bigger from peddling this thing.

K

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just bought the frame 2nd hand without the fork, so I don't have an opinion about the E150 fork. I just happened the have a Fox Talas 130mm and put it on. I've been enjoying the bike immensely. Previous bike was an FSR04. I really like the frame, feels very stiff, fast climber, fast descender, although the fork may now be the bottleneck.

This week I checked the shock pressure, adjusted it to more precisely match my weight, lubricated the shaft, and checked the bolt, loosened it and fastened it again. Yesterday on a rough course, I noticed the rear end was going to the travel way too fast, making a cluncking noise. When pedalling even at the firmest compression setting the rear end bobbed way too much. At home I found out this noise was caused by the shock bolt to the frame (the one I loosened a bit). I tested this by lifting the rear end by the saddle and dropping it. Fastening the bolt seems to get rid of the noise. Pressure (and sag) was still okay, I increased the pressure 10psi (from 140) and will test it again.
    This didn't solve the problem, I turns out I have the same problem with the AFR shock as other people had. Defunct compression circuit, hardly any or no rebound dampening, losing oil. When the shock extends it is no longer dampened anymore causing a loud cluncking sound. Hopefully my LBS is able to warranty it for me :-(

Boulder, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by goingleft
    Am I the only one NOT having problems with the bike?
    Just curious.

K
    I think MOST SL owners are not having problems with this bike, you just don't find people starting or responding to these types of threads when they are completely satisfied.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    May 2007

Smile

Without bringing a curse down on my ride, I have so far had no problems at all with my SL comp. I've been using all the features (attitude adjust on the fork is simply brilliant) and the rear compression adjustment is also extremely good. Being able to go from full 'firm' to 'soft' setting simply by flipping the level "over-the-top" makes life (even) easier.
    Fantastic bike. Its made the Yeti 575 I demo'ed just before I purchased seem like a soft, old, over-priced blancmange.....

mtbr member
    bought the comp last week.

so far the front fork doesn't hold air over night, and one of the seals completely popped out while re-extending the travel. I wasn't even sitting on the bike.

I also feel that the rebound on the fork in its fastest setting is a smidge slow.

and the compression damping on the rear shock seems to only just barely work. I mean that full hard vs. full soft yields only a small difference in sensitivity and alleviating the pedal platform. makes me really miss my VT2 with Swinger SPV 4-way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am having a problem with the front fork on on my SL. With the travel adjust in the lower travel setting the fork will extend to the full length travel after about 5 minutes. I did see another thread that this was happening to someone else, but I did not see that anyone said that this is normal. Is it? I have checked by setting the o-ring and can watch the fork gradually extend.

Also, I don't have the marking (black lettering) on my forks like others do that I have seen to let you know how much you can adjust them in the crown. Do I have an earlier production fork?

chameleoneel, My rear shock was like yours when I brought it home. I re-adjusted the amount of air and I am really impressed with how it feels. I think I need to have a little less air in my front to match as it seems a little harsh.

I do have to say that the few rides that I have gone on with it, the bike is really impressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by websterjody
    chameleoneel, My rear shock was like yours when I brought it home. I re-adjusted the amount of air and I am really impressed with how it feels. I think I need to have a little less air in my front to match as it seems a little harsh.

I do have to say that the few rides that I have gone on with it, the bike is really impressive.
    heh, it seems there are huge inconsistancies between each person's shock and fork. lame.

my fork, when set to the air pressure recommended for my weight in the book, is very sensitive and plush and I am happy with that aspect of it. it just has all of the other major problems that i described.

my shock, when set to the recommended PSI, is much too firm. now I haven't tried backing it off much, but I might try that. still though, the compression dial seems to do almost nothing, which is a huge problem. going to the bike shop tomorrow to see if I can get some repairs/replacements.

eventually If these kinks don't get worked out in a way that satisfies me, I'll be putting my Manitou Minute up front, and buying a Manitou Swinger 4-way for the rear. I hope It doesn't come to that though because that Swinger is gonna be expensive, and this bike already cost just shy of $3000.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am having a problem with the front fork on on my SL. With the travel adjust in the lower travel setting the fork will extend to the full length travel after about 5 minutes. I did see another thread that this was happening to someone else, but I did not see that anyone said that this is normal. Is it? I have checked by setting the o-ring and can watch the fork gradually extend.
    That was probably me. It has got worse since then and it extends to full travel even when I am riding it uphill. The bike went back to the LBS on Monday and I am expecting to get it back Fri/Sat, so I will post here if it gets fixed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just tried your O-Ring test.....

Looks like mine does the same

Am assuming this is okay as my weight will counter this on the climbs.

If it does get worse, It'll be back t'shop.

Hardwax, I'll be looking at your situation with interest.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spoke to Spesh UK today.

The fork will come back up in between 5 mins to 1 hour.

He talked about a bleed valve allowing this to happen, but I suspect you'd find it hard to stop air bypassing a seal over time.

mtbr member

Also, I don't have the marking (black lettering) on my forks like others do that I have seen to let you know how much you can adjust them in the crown. Do I have an earlier production fork?

Mine also doesn't have the black lettering. Took it in for service after 5 weeks as it had developed stiction and rebound was too slow. The anodizing on the stantchions also looked uneven - wasn't wear as the unevenness extended the full length of the tubing beyond the travel limit. They will replace the fork under warranty. Was advised that the ones without markings are early production models. Hopefully the replacement fork will sort it out - otherwise a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey29
    yes,its true - the rubber bumper dents the frame.it happened to me also at slower then walking speed, jumped off the bike, which landed on the left side of the handlebar and put a dent in the downtube.
    You got me curious, so I took a look at how the bumpers were set up on my Enduro SL fork. They are set so that when you turn the fork all the way left or right, that the edge of the bumpers contacts the bike frame. Why the edge? That would seem to concentrate the force and invite dents. Would it not make more sense to twist the bumpers so that their flat edge contacts the downtube? Would that not spread out the impact forces?

I am going to try and remember to ask my dealer about this next time I visit the bike shop.

BTW, I did try giving my own bumpers a twist, but they did not want to move, and I'm rather afraid to just ream on them really hard.

It would suck to ruin my frame just by twisting my handlebars too much.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I gave my SL a washdown after its last ride and those bump-stops spun freely once wet.
    Just warm water and car-wash shampoo stuff, (fairy liquid dish washing stuff contains salt).
    Once dry, the rubber bump-stops didnt move again.....
    Worth a try 'cos you're right, they seem like they should line up on their flat edge.

mtbr member
    I owe the bike a good washing. I'll get to it, and see about rotating those bumpers a bit.

Where are You ?
    Mar 2007
    Just my two cents: I also had the fork sticking / slow coming back up after being down.

Spesh told me to take it to the LBS for warranty. The LBS told me that some of the early models had this issue and that Spesh sent them some cartridges ahead of time. They replaced mine immediately and so far so good on the first ride.....

L8ters..

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Anyone lifted the seals yet for oiling the foam rings?

mtbr member
    Anyone lifted the seals yet for oiling the foam rings?
    one of my seals came up and out on its own (which makes me nervous).

the foam ring looked great though, storing your bike upside-down over night is a good idea occasionally.

and of course, anyone trying to oil the foam rings should be very very careful not to drip onto the front brake rotor

mtbr member
    May 2007

Compression adjust???

Seems that I have no Lo Speed Compression adjustment either.

Will send it back to Leisure Lakes-they can look at the Attitude adjust issue as well. Think Spesh UK was trying to fob me off.

Otherwise bike is gr8, however none of this technology is remotely rocket science. Tad worrying that we're having all these issues so early. How is this bike going to perform once the warranty has expired

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got my bike back on Friday, apparently a new cartridge was fitted. It may have been a newer design than the one that came in the fork. So far it works the way it should, if it starts acting up I will post here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    probably, the problem is the squarish tube - the bumper hitting the tube at the weakest spot,
    one could move the bumper higher to the welds or to the curved part of the tubes, or just reinforce that area.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Even more problems!!!

Will send my SL into LBS tomorrow to sort my lack of lo-speed compression damping out.

However, I've also noticed that there is a phenomenal amount of fore-aft play in the fork, and the torsional play is massive. All bolts are tight.

Anyone else have this?

Confidence in the product is at an all-time low

mtbr member

Klunk

E150 Klunk here.

HR

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    What are the symptoms of the low speed compression not working?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Lo Spd Compression...

Firstly I noticed that the dial was having no effect whatsoever (the blue compression one) and that the forks dived heavily under braking.

I've had new cartridges in and the dial NOW works, as does the sensation of a firmer setting on Hi damping.

The downside to the new cartridge is that there is a noticable clunk (metal on metal) as you first compress the forks along with a sensation that something aint quite tight in there. The stanchion bolts etc are all tight.

Getting dissapointed with the fork. Shame 'cos the rest of the bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Adios Enduro, Hello Stumpy!

Well, the LBS were great!

They fixed my fork, with new cartridges and all went well in the shop.

Next Morning (today) go out for an early morning ride and find the top right leg covered in hydraulic damping oil
    Wipe it off, then go out on a quick local blast to fing the fork making all hell of a clanking from the right leg Oil now reaapears.

Anyhow, go back to LBS and reject bike. They were great and I will pick up my Stumpy Elite on Thursday

Think the SL is a great product, though. Spesh need to concentrate on consistent quality for their suspension. Think the Stumpy will suit me more anyhow. I'm more XC than All-mountain and my last steed was an '02 Stumpy which did me well.

Happy Days

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    You'll have fun Mike, LL is where my bikes from, but no problems yet...need to service the foam rings now. hopefully never as its a 240 mile round trip. That stumpjumper pro came 10/10 in this months mbr for what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Both me and a friend both purchased new 2007 Enduro’s. a month apart.
    Last month he had his the front shocks cartridge replaced, and now my front shocks are playing up.
    They will compress and rebound but seem to have no dampening at low speed I guess this is what you call Lo Speed Compression. Also the movement is not smooth.
    A phoned the shop yesterday and was told to make sure the right fork (with the do not remove 10mm head) was set to 75psi. The fork had about 15psi and so I pumped it to 75. After my ride tonight the bike is worse then ever. I swapped bikes with my friend and the difference was noticeable straight away.
    If I ride my bike on a rough forest road the front shocks will compress to take my weight when I get on the bike but does little or no movement while riding.
    I have checked the serial number on both mine and my friends forks and they are only 11 apart.
    Any one else got similar problems?
    Last edited by Whizzo; 06-13-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    What's your serial number, that could explain my fork feeling harsh on the slow fireroad tracks.

mtbr member
    Spoke to my local shop and Specialized are sending 2 new cartridges and the shop will fit them this weekend. The bike is only 3 month old so I hope these will last much longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This didn't solve the problem, I turns out I have the same problem with the AFR shock as other people had. Defunct compression circuit, hardly any or no rebound dampening, losing oil. When the shock extends it is no longer dampened anymore causing a loud cluncking sound. Hopefully my LBS is able to warranty it for me :-(
    My LBS handled it perfectly for me, got a new shock which works fine. Btw. he was told the price for a new shock would have been around 1400 euro! (really, he also didn't believe this at first, 'frame you mean, no shock only').

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    After only 7 rides on my enduro sl pro, my forks are leaking air and there is completely no travel adjustment what so ever, it's stuck in the 6" travel mode.When I first read this thread I thought to myself that I must be the only lucky guy with no problems with his enduro sl, now I know how you all feel. Anyone Know what this problem is? I'm bringing it to myLBS on Monday.I did not buy the bike at my LBS because they could'nt get the size and model I wanted so I bought the bike out of state. Will there be a charge for labor even though the bike is still under warranty?

Thanks!

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Hope The bike is nice that the loss of it is BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by bbjr71
    After only 7 rides on my enduro sl pro, my forks are leaking air and there is completely no travel adjustment what so ever, it's stuck in the 6" travel mode.When I first read this thread I thought to myself that I must be the only lucky guy with no problems with his enduro sl, now I know how you all feel. Anyone Know what this problem is? I'm bringing it to myLBS on Monday.I did not buy the bike at my LBS because they could'nt get the size and model I wanted so I bought the bike out of state. Will there be a charge for labor even though the bike is still under warranty?

Thanks!
    Hi bbjr71,

I feel your pain and frustration! When this bike is working itís such a joy to ride that the loss of it is tough. The good news from what Iíve been able to learn is that Specialized has stepped up to the plate and fixed all the gross failures Iíve heard of. They havenít dealt with the dings in the frame or the lack of full extension on the fork at pressures less than 80 psi. However they have cartridge replacements that should fix the problems you describe.

I had a 2005 Enduro Pro with a broken chainstay that Specialized replaced and I didnít have the pay the LBS anything for labor even though the bike was purchased in a different city. Good luck and I hope you get your bike back as quickly as possible.

Michael

mtbr member
    What's your serial number, that could explain my fork feeling harsh on the slow fireroad tracks.
    Thanks for sending me your serial number catnash. Seems too much of a coincidence that yours are only 1 different from mine.
    It would be interesting to know other UK based Enduro E150 forks serial numbers that are also having problems!

I had 2 new cartridges fitted by my LBS on Saturday and still this has not cured my problems. Even the guy in the shop agrees they are not right. They are going to contact spesh and ask for a new set of forks.
    The shop are being as helpful as possible so will just have to see what they sort out.

mtbr member
    I got my damping cartridge replaced this week and all is well. In fact I think the fork works better than ever.

HR

mtbr member
    May 2007

forks knocking Feels like the leg bushes are gone

Bought my enduro expert in Australia a few months back and the forks have a knocking sound in them,its like the bushes in them are sloppy,if you drop the bike about 2 inches off the ground it rattles like a Huffy Its at the dealer now as it has lost dampening on both compression and rebound.The air cartridge has been replaced once.Dealer has been great Found the forks work really well but need some decent reliability from them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey guys, I am also having problems with my E150. In the 100 mode, there is a "clunk" feel when the fork is rebounding (doesn't happen during compression though). I am taking it to my LBS this week, and will point out all the problems people are having in this thread. Thanks, and I hope my fork can be brought back to normal.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue - only when in climb mode. Noticeable in technical uneven seated climbs - particularly when front end is unweighted. Thought it was an internal problem with fork, or possibly loose headset, but couldn't find anythng wrong.

In the end I worked out that the noise was originating from slight movement in the rear shock mount that was transmitting and amplifying through the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamt
    In the end I worked out that the noise was originating from slight movement in the rear shock mount that was transmitting and amplifying through the frame.
    Same here, it looks like that lower shock mount needs to be quite tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rear shock compression damping problem?

Bought a new enduro expert, first ride on Sunday and loved the bike, except going over the bars and hitting my plums on the stem/fork dual crown thingy. My question is about the rear shock compression damping dial. It seems to go round and round??? Is this right? or should it have definite end stops? I feel a trip back to LL is on the cards.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mishmash
    My question is about the rear shock compression damping dial. It seems to go round and round??? Is this right? or should it have definite end stops?
    It goes round-and-round. That's the correct operation. That way, you don't ever need to worry about which direction you are turning the dial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mishmash
    Bought a new enduro expert, first ride on Sunday and loved the bike, except going over the bars and hitting my plums on the stem/fork dual crown thingy. My question is about the rear shock compression damping dial. It seems to go round and round??? Is this right? or should it have definite end stops? I feel a trip back to LL is on the cards.....
    The lever is designed to go around on purpose. If you go left to right with lever in the bottom half of the rotation it goes from soft to firm in four graduated clicks which are numbered on the dial. If you flip the lever over on the top half of the rotation it goes directly from firm to soft with nothing between. Intended so you can flip it over from firm to soft more quickly while on the fly.

Watch the setup videos on the specialized website and all will be revealed...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamt
    I had the same issue - only when in climb mode. Noticeable in technical uneven seated climbs - particularly when front end is unweighted. Thought it was an internal problem with fork, or possibly loose headset, but couldn't find anythng wrong.

That isn't the problem I'm having, because I can reproduce it 100% of the time with the rear wheel off the ground. Changing the compression and rebound dials doesn't help either.

This sucks. Hopefully my LBS can get the parts they need to fix my fork.

(PS. I bought my bike only 1.5 months ago, and I probably have 80 trail miles on it so far).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The clunk was the final straw for me. That was on my second set of cartridges.

Think the bike will be flawless once they iron the reliabilty issues out. Just didn't have time/money/patience to be part of the product improvement programme. Went for the SJ Elite as a replacement.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cheers Mike
    Am getting frustrated with the whole process,i updated from a 05 stumpjumper 120 expert where i just set the pressures when i picked it up and didn`t have a spanner near it till i sold it.Swaping back to a stumpjumper may do the trick.

mtbr member

Enduro SL

Sorry to hear about all the problems, I just pickup my S-Works Enduro Sl on Monday and it has performed better then expected. I hope I have one without any of those issues.
    I love my new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Same here, it looks like that lower shock mount needs to be quite tight.
    Even after shock replacement and tightening the lower shock mount real good, I experienced a cluncking noise when landing or riding through very rough terrain.

A few days ago I discovered the right horst link bolt had loosened itself (in itself not a problem of course, nothing a bit of locktite can't fix), but also that the rear derailleur has been banging against the horst link, it's not bad, only slight damage but it explains the noise. I do run a shorter cage XTR derailleur, but that shouldn't matter of course. I used the same type of derailleur on my Stumpy but the horst links of the SL are positioned much lower (say an inch). The Enduro SL's normally come with an SRAM derailleur so that explains why I have this little problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've had my forks replaced for brand new ones which Specialised just suggested I keep rather than fixing the old ones and now a couple of months later the shock has gone clunk through the rebound stoke and they are doing the same with that. Can't complain about the warranty support just wished I'd listened to the voices in my head telling me not to be an earlier adopter on their suspension. Like everyone else; when it works it works but that hummer that I had on order with a 20% discount is starting to look more and more of a missed oportunity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mikertroid, did you get yours from leisure lakes cheltenham? I am getting close to wanting to get rid of my enduro and going for a stumpy or even an SX trail!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LiQuOrIcE
    Mikertroid, did you get yours from leisure lakes cheltenham? I am getting close to wanting to get rid of my enduro and going for a stumpy or even an SX trail!
    My forks going back there for them to have a look at the performance of the rebound/compression setting.

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    Hi Folks,

Iím writing because my Enduro SL Pro has developed a fork problem Iíve not seen discussed in other threads. Also I have an additional issue regarding the bumper on the fork stanchion denting the frame.

To correctly sag the fork for my weight I have to use approximately 78psi. At that pressure the fork doesnít return to full extension on its own. Iím losing a little over 8 mm of travel due to this situation. My LBS has some parts from Specialized that they will hopefully use to fix that problem when I take the bike to them this coming Monday. Iíve seen a number of posts concerning this situation but no explanation as to why itís happening. According to my LBS the lowest pressure that should ever be run is 70psi.

However, today I went to adjust the compression on the fork. The lever, which is supposed to have 8-9 clicks from lock to lock if I remember correctly, just continually turned without ever hitting a stop in either direction. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Finally, while standing still in a track stand on grass I didnít get my foot unclipped and fell to the left. The force of the left handlebar hitting the grass caused the bumper on the right fork stanchion to ding the top tube of the frame on the right side. I understand that damages caused by falling canít totally be accounted for in the design of the bike. However this was as benign a fall as can be imagined. There isnít a single scratch on the rest of the bike or me and yet the thinness of the top tube is such that the rubber bumper, which I believe is supposed to keep this damage from happening, created a ding in the top tube. Has anyone else experienced any similar damage from such a benign fall?

All the aforementioned issues aside I love this bike! I can only hope that Specialized steps up and handles these problems as theyíve rectified the problems that other folks have already had. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your story if youíve experienced similar problems.

Michael
    There has been a problem with the forks, as a now unemployed mechanic i have no loyalties with the trade at the moment. SBC sent a letter to all dealers outlining a potential prob with the negative air spring. If the spring did not contain 100psi out of the box then the fork had to be returned for repair. They did not do a recall, but tried to force the problem onto dealers. Tell your lbs. Good luck.
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yup, LL in 'nam sorted me out with a Stumpy. Very very good service.

Hope it all works out for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well......I am back in love!

Went to LL tonight and they replaced my shocks there and then! Also noticed the new shock is different to the old one, apparently its an updated version! They also said the max psi should be 75, the manual i got with the bike suggested a fair bit more, maybe why they were fooked!

The whole fork feels different, and when setting it up I could actually see it working how it should, nothing like my last one!

They said a specialized guy has been doing the rounds dropping off a revised front fork and 3 rear shocks to each specialized dealer!

LL in chelt are a great bunch, think it helps that I have never had a go at them as i know its specialized fault!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Upset 2007 Specialized Enduro Pro SL ( just venting ) More fork problems

I purchased my Enduro Pro SL less than 30 days ago, I have only ridden it on 1 real ride. Since that ride, the tube on the left side had to have the insides changed out. That was 2 days ago. I loaded it in the pickup, brought it home and put it in the garage. I woke up this morning to go for a ride and now the air side of the fork has no air in it what so ever. I called my LBS and now they are going to order a brand new fork assembly. They informed me that they have mostly seen problems on the Pro and not the others. They said there was a flaw in the manufacturing process with the tubes. Does anyone know if Specialized has updated all their forks or will I continue to have problems with the new fork assembly ?

I do like the bike but I am not sure if I will keep it if problems continue. I want my bike to be sound and ready for me to ride it. I am not afraid of maintenance but I would hope the parts on a 4000.00 bike would last more than a 12 mile ride.

If I continue to have problems, does Specialized offer any kind of replacement offer with possibly a Stumpjumper Pro or a S-Works?

Many thanks to your replies

tireguyforlife

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

No good

I'm waiting for a replacement for my clunking rear shock to be sent out from my LBS, The second fork (a warranty replacement) was working fine for a short while but now has leaked it's air in less than a week. Too much hassle- I wish I'd bought something else

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Well I've had the cartridge in the left side replaced, ( Leisure Lakes Cheltenham) really due to the stiction/slow rebound I had that was there from day 1 which I thought was due to needing a bit of run-in. Now I havent used it yet, about to have two long rides today but already its nice and plush. It was only at slow speeds I noticed, when I went faster never noticed it as the bike was so much fun. I've done over 75 hours actual riding time and no other issues.

The Air sleeve service was easy just like the FOX. Nice quality inside the shock.
    Foam rings are split type so easy to decontaminate and clean.

This bike is 10/10 It takes everything I can dish out and If your on the fence about getting one, don't be. If I had been I would have missed out on 6 months the most fun I have ever had on a bike (including MX)
    Last edited by catnash; 08-09-2007 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just picked up a 2007 comp today, haven't taken it for a proper spin yet... but, I noticed that the stanchions seemed a little low (i.e. only about 148mm of travel seemed visible). Also, while messing around with the fork, I noticed that putting the attitude adjuster in 'climb' resulted in air loss of about 20-30 psi. However, I think I solved my problem: I let all the air out and cycled the fork through full travel, also turning on and off the 'climb' setting a few times. Result: 160mm of stanchions visible, no air loss anymore. How's that for strange? I'm guessing that a seal wasn't seated properly, and cycling the fork reseated it. Crossing my fingers that all will be OK now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So has anyone got round to lubing the O rings yet ?
    Is it easy ? Worth attempting ? Best left to the dealer ?......
    I've had a look at the Fox site for tips about lifting the seals - but Fox seals have those little screwdriver slots in them.
    Any suggestions/hints ?

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I have, not too bad, though I trained on Fox forks, just took my time and made sure I dadnt damage the stanchions and the edges of the lowers, While there saw that the foam rings in mine were split type, next time I'll remove them and degrease them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok. Sounds like something I could actually be brave enough to attempt.
    Did you just use fork oil or a little grease ? I've read Specialized recommend mineral oils and greases. No synthetics. Does that sound right ??

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I used Fox Float Fluid, though best to ask here and specialized.

Though this is what I heard.

Prep m works a treat and oil is 10-15cc of 5 or 7.5wt oil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRx7
    I just picked up a 2007 comp today, haven't taken it for a proper spin yet... but, I noticed that the stanchions seemed a little low (i.e. only about 148mm of travel seemed visible). Also, while messing around with the fork, I noticed that putting the attitude adjuster in 'climb' resulted in air loss of about 20-30 psi. However, I think I solved my problem: I let all the air out and cycled the fork through full travel, also turning on and off the 'climb' setting a few times. Result: 160mm of stanchions visible, no air loss anymore. How's that for strange? I'm guessing that a seal wasn't seated properly, and cycling the fork reseated it. Crossing my fingers that all will be OK now.
    Update: went for a 2-hour ride today, with lots of climbing in 'climb' mode and some gnarly descents. No air loss! I guess letting the air out and cycling it did the trick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Attitude Adjusment Knob is stuck

Quote Originally Posted by bbjr71

Thanks!
    Hello, I take my Enduro SL Comp only for two rides and appeared two problems:

I got a problem with the Attitude Adjustment Knob, is stuck in the middle position between 110mm "climb" and 150mm, it moves but doesn't reach neither 110mm nor 150mm... It also loses air... I bought the bike in U.S., I live in Mťrida Venezuela, so sending the bike to a authorized dealer its a very long trip, there is one in Caracas. it's possible send only the fork to the store in the U.S. for a replacement? or anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

I also have another problem with the E150 Fork, It's have a clack sound, this is more louder when I applied an uneven force over the handlebar. This seems partially solved when I follow the instructions on a technical bulletin "E150 Upper Crown Torque Settings" it says: "... The original torque setting for the upper crown/stem stanchion pinch bolts of 50 in-lbf, maximum 55 in-lbf (5.6 - 6.2 N*m) has been revised to 75 in-lbf, maximum 80 in-lbf (8.5 - 9 N*m) ..." now that problem is almost unnoticeable.

I hope that will be useful to someone.

Enlightened
    When I spoke to Specialized about it, they asked me if it lost a lot of air because a drop from 100psi to 90psi is considered normal while a drop from 100psi to 50psi would not be unless we are looking at serious user error.

Anyway, my E150 fork, as well as the rest of the bike is warrantly-less so I was looking for ideas to solve that clanging noise whenever I turn my handlebars. Miguel's bulletin had me loosen the upper crown bolt, give the front suspension a few body weight lunges down upon the bars and then retighten. Now seemingly almost all of the noise is gone? We'll see how long that lasts! Thanks for the suggestion Miguel.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This seems a bit weird.
    The fork still works perfectly. Smooth and bottomless - except the attitude adjust dial has become very stiff. It still works (the 40mm reduced travel I mean), but now needs the arms and grip of Schwarzenegger to get the dial around its quarter of a turn. Oil hasn't worked to loosen it up - so it doesn't seem a 'sticking' dial.
    As it doesn't affect performance, I don't really want to have to take it in hoping it will get to its first shock service. Do you think I will do any damage if I leave it 'til then though ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    DOH !!!!
    Well I can now quite easily answer my own question.
    Save anyone wasting any minutes thinking about my last post. Since posting I have been trying to work out just why this happened....
    The reason the attitude adjust dial was so stiff is because I tightened the top stanchion bolt too tight when I was getting rid of the creaking noise that appeared near the top of the fork.
    I read here that to clear the creaking, the bolts needed removing, cleaning off the loctite then re-inserted, lightly greased. Except I tightened them up. Way up. Doh.........
    So if you ever find your attitude adjust dial is sticking/too tight.......Mr_Ian_Credible has the solution..........and the cause. Idiot.........lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well my story is a little different from everyone else. Took the bike out for the 3rd ride on a down hill course. About half way down the rear shock blew and all the oil ran out onto the frame. But I just decided to go ahead and ride it down and try to enjoy the rest of the ride. I rode a little farther down and caught a small jump. When I landed the fork locked down in the compressed position. That put me half way over the front end then with the rear shock blown it sent me the rest of the way over the bars. Sucked walking the rest of the way down. Specialized said the fork had a problem in the travel adjustment as well as the cartridge. No explanation for the rear shock? Specialized sent new fork and rear shock out and had it on the bike 2 days later. I received a slightly different rear shock. But all seems to be good now.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Well I've had the cartridge in the left side replaced, ( Leisure Lakes Cheltenham) really due to the stiction/slow rebound I had that was there from day 1 which I thought was due to needing a bit of run-in. Now I havent used it yet, about to have two long rides today but already its nice and plush. It was only at slow speeds I noticed, when I went faster never noticed it as the bike was so much fun. I've done over 75 hours actual riding time and no other issues.

The Air sleeve service was easy just like the FOX. Nice quality inside the shock.
    Foam rings are split type so easy to decontaminate and clean.

This bike is 10/10 It takes everything I can dish out and If your on the fence about getting one, don't be. If I had been I would have missed out on 6 months the most fun I have ever had on a bike (including MX)
    Well the Atitude adjustment has given up the ghost, comes back after 2-3 seconds so a phone call to the bike shop Tuesday, Hope they';ll give me an 08 fork, I'd be better off posting the fork. costs me a day and £35 to get up there.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    No biking for me, posting them back so without a bike for about 10+ days now. Gutted.
    Just wish they'd send me a new fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I Have Been Reading The Posts On The Enduro 07 E150 Shock Problems For A While Now.
    This Put Me Off Buying A Enduro 07 And Speaking First Hand To Bike Shops And Owners Rideing On The Trails The E150 Fork Has Well Known Problems!
    The E150 Shock Is Suposed To Be Fixed On All 08 Models.
    However When I Tested The Enduro Before Buying At My Local Spesh Dealer. The Attitude Adjuster Stopped Working With A Click When The Shock Was Depressed.
    When I Showed The Dealer What Had Happened Without Warning The Seal Blowed Off On The Left Hand Leg.
    Spesh Need To Get Things Sorted Out !!
    Any One Else Had Specalized 08 Enduro Problems?

Wil109
    I have the dent problem. Positioned the rubber anti dinging devices well, even used IPA on the shafts to make sure they were rigid in their position and ended up with the rider left dent as shown in the image and a little nick in the right. I always follow a fall to the left with a fall to the right (it keeps me balanced ).

My main concern is the rider left dent, has this screwed my frame, is it still safe to cycle on? I was thinking of emailing Specialized and asking them as I don't have that much confidence in my LBS.

Any views?

I had intial fork problems but it seems ok now. I do put the maximum amount of air in for my weight because any less doesn't feel right (feels like the it would bottom out tho it never has and I have had some decent size hits, up to 8 feet).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love my bike and my bike loves me

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    No biking for me, posting them back so without a bike for about 10+ days now. Gutted.
    Just wish they'd send me a new fork?
    Almost had the option of sending the fork back to the shop for them to send the fork to Specialized UK, which I'm beginning to think would have been the preferred method, as they would have dynoed the fork and had a look at the whole fork, now it's just having the cartridge changed at the bikeshop. Been round the hospital where I work, no boxes and no bubble wrap.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikertroid
    Yup, LL in 'nam sorted me out with a Stumpy. Very very good service.

Hope it all works out for you
    Who did you deal with there? They're very good, but the distance is the thing.

mtbr member

Wayneo....

Them NRS's were notorious for hideously thin tubes. Rumor is that hitting a large moth at speed can dent and collapse said tubes....ok well I made that up to impart the point. From the reports on the streets the tubes were inappropriately too thin.

Funny how them NRS's were hot for a year or so then they went to instant cold oatmeal.

Peace

CS
    C.SPRINGS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0