mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Difference between Specialized Epic '09, '10, '11 ???

I have the opportunity to but a new and unused 2009 or a 2010 Epic 26" frame, but was wondering which one would be a better buy? How does the Brain differ between the 2 different years? Are there any major differences? Curious.

mtbr member
    I have a 2009 and my buddy has a 2010. The brain on the 2010 seems smoother. The inertia valve letting oil past it isn't as abrupt and you can't feel it on the 2010.

The 2009 brain still works beautifully though and I love it. You can charge on technical trails and turn the bike around and it climbs like a hardtail. Other than the brain, I don't think there are any major differences between 2009 and 2009.
    F. B. I.

mtbr member
    The 2010 Fox Brain seems to be better than the 2009 Brain. That's about the only major difference.

The 2011 has an Evo Epic, 120mm fork as opposed to 100mm.

2010 and 2011 have 29er versions.

2011 has 2X10 drive trains,

The 2011 S-Works has rear 142 through axle.

Compelling, and rich.
    The 2011 Epics have an entirely new frame design. The position of the rear pivot has been moved closer to the rear axle to increase the small bump sensitivity of the bike and reduce how much the suspension relies on the Brain.

All 2011 29er Epics and the S-works Epic 26er have 142+ rear axles/hubs. Which means they're stiffer and track better than previous models.

The '10/'11 models rear shocks are produced by Fox and tend to be more reliable and function better than the X-fusion produced Brain on the '09. However, the warranty on the Fox (last time I checked) is only 1 year, rather than 5 years.

*I thought the 09/10 S-works Epics had alloy rear triangles, they don't. My bad.*
    Last edited by CasteelG; 10-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    The 2011 Epics have an entirely new frame design. The position of the rear pivot has been moved closer to the rear axle to increase the small bump sensitivity of the bike and reduce how much the suspension relies on the Brain.

All 2011 29er Epics and the S-works Epic 26er have 142+ rear axles/hubs. Which means they're stiffer and track better than previous models.

Both 2011 S-works Epics have carbon rear triangles (It's alloy on the '09/'10 S-Works Epics). Which makes them stiffer and lighter than previous models.

The '10/'11 models rear shocks are produced by Fox and tend to be more reliable and function better than the X-fusion produced Brain on the '09. However, the warranty on the Fox (last time I checked) is only 1 year, rather than 5 years.
    greg, i think u made a blunder. 09/10 rear sworks triangles are carbon.marathon on down are not.
    09 rear shock over 10 shock made by fox.fox is more reliable. went thru 2 09 shocks till warr. upgrade to fox.hows ur racing going these days. robbie burger hadnt raced in years...work.but he is thinking of racing or riding more these days.

mtbr member
    Funny, my 09 Epic has a carbon rear.

'10 got the Fox brain as mentioned. It also got the XX drivetrain. It also got the 11m carbon layup.

'11 got a new frame design and the not-compatible-with-anything 142+ rear axle. It also got a standard BB30 bottom bracket
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    That doesn't quite sound right to me.

This is how I interpreted their change in the pivot location... so that chain torque wouldn't activate the suspension quite as much so that one could run the brain on a lower threshold setting thus increasing small bump sensitivity.

At least that's how I picture it working when I look at the two different pivot locations. I'm no engineer though so draw your own conclusions.

Back on topic... from what I've read, I'd go with the 2010 with the Fox branded rear shock as it seems like it's more reliable. Specialized has great customer service though and I'm sure they'll take care of you whichever bike you choose.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for all of the information and opinions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Funny, my 09 Epic has a carbon rear.

'10 got the Fox brain as mentioned. It also got the XX drivetrain. It also got the 11m carbon layup.

'11 got a new frame design and the not-compatible-with-anything 142+ rear axle. It also got a standard BB30 bottom bracket
    what model is your 09 to have a carbon rear.i had an expert/alloy rear and now a marathon /alloy rear.09models.sworks has the carbon rear.both my bikes are carbon mainframes.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    That doesn't quite sound right to me.

This is how I interpreted their change in the pivot location... so that chain torque wouldn't activate the suspension quite as much so that one could run the brain on a lower threshold setting thus increasing small bump sensitivity.
    That's what I was trying to say, albeit badly.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    There's a review of the '11 S-Works Epic in the most recent edition of Mtb Action that comes to the same conclusion about the effect of the change in the pivot location.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    what model is your 09 to have a carbon rear.i had an expert/alloy rear and now a marathon /alloy rear.09models.sworks has the carbon rear.both my bikes are carbon mainframes.
    S-Works of course!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"