mtbr member

Difference between the Camber 29er and Stumpjumper FSR 29er

Ok, so they look pretty much the same except for some difference in components...understand that. But aside from that, are they similar to say a comparison of Hardrock to Rockhopper or am I missing something.

I am gonna be in the market for one or the other by late December sometime (not necesarilly christmas). Had to make a deal with the wife (gotta buy her a dining room set in return, plus I need it for some business testing). Anyway, tell me your thoughts on the 2.

Which one would you go with and why

thanks
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The main difference is that the Camber has 100mm suspension travel front and rear while the stumpjumper has 130mm.Head tube angle is also slightly shallower on the stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah travel is the biggest difference besides components. The Camber essentially replaced the FSR XC if you want to look at it that way. So between and FSR XC and a Stumpy, I would definitely choose a stumpy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineE30M52
    Yeah travel is the biggest difference besides components. The Camber essentially replaced the FSR XC if you want to look at it that way. So between and FSR XC and a Stumpy, I would definitely choose a stumpy.
    Why?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    It really depends on your riding style and requirements. The Stumpy, ultimately, is a more capable trail bike and, in its more expensive variants, has a more sophisticated inertia valve suspension.

Unless you plan to use its full capabilities, however, you may not consider the extra cost of the Stumpy worthwhile.

mtbr member
    I guess for me...the sweetspot on funds (im thinking somewhere around 2500 or so...flexible to a degree) and am looking for the best bike for that price range. I just bought the Hardrock 29er disc sport and love the bike...modified it already but am going to move that to my riding with the wife on paved trails bike. I tend to ride trails in the woods, no jumps ( those days are over) plus I am a no longer in training body builder so im weighing in around 240lbs at 5'10. I need something that can handle some rough use, nice trail riding, and causal riding when I want it. I liked the idea of the brain until I started seeing that it needs adjustment often (at least thats what it sounds like) although non of the bikes I am looking at have it.

So now you have it...what do you think would be the best for what I am looking for....

let me know

thanks

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    IME once you have it dialed in, the Brain is pretty well set and forget.

For your riding needs, it sounds like a higher spec Camber may be just the thing for you. Ultimately, it is 90 (or 95) percent rider and you can get a really nicely appointed bike in your price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I keep going between the Camber Pro 29 and the FSR Comp 29.In the past, I had an Epic and know it climbs very well.

How does the STJ FSR/Camber with the Fox Triad climb?
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Did I mention that it has to be a 29er...just dig those big wheels...does that change anyones opinion?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by rmasse10
    Did I mention that it has to be a 29er...just dig those big wheels...does that change anyones opinion?
    Yes, you did in the title of the OP and no it doesn't change my opinion. SJ FSR Comp 29 is a worthy consideration in your budget range. I think at your weight, the longer travel and perhaps a slightly burlier frame might work to your advantage. Decent component kit and 2X10. There is one in my family and it is a great bike.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Is it Friday yet?
    Have you noticed the HUGE difference in price between the FSR 29er and the Camber 29er?

I own a bottom of the line 26" Camber Comp. I love the bike, but it weighs 30+. The one big glaring piece of crap on it is the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Ok, so just came from my LBS and test drove the Camber Elite 29er and the Stumpjumper comp 29er and I must say...the Stumpjumper just felt better....I can really say why, but it did. Was it worthy of the additional $600, probably from a component standpoint, from a drive standpoint...not sure. In either event, went with my gut...grabbed the Stumpjumper, having them change out the grips and put on clipless petals....

should get my bad boy by Monday...pictures to follow..this is my first FS bike so I am pretty excited about it...Still love my hardrock and will continue to ride it, but gonna start getting pretty serious and jump on the Stumpcrusher so Im good!

Is it Friday yet?
    Beautiful bike. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Congrats! Enjoy the heck out of it!

Oh yeah, and ride the heck out of it too!

mtbr member
    Thanks...I look forward to it...cant believe I have been missing all this fun for so long...but no more

FKA Malibu412
    Lots of full squish bike induced grins in your future. Good choice and go enjoy!
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Lots of full squish bike induced grins in your future. Good choice and go enjoy!
    Damn straight!

Is it Friday yet?
    I'll bet the wife doesn't pick a dining room that fast. Happy shopping!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How is the stumpy?

I am looking at the exact same decision.

Is there anything about the 29 Stumpy you don't like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnburn
    I am looking at the exact same decision.

Is there anything about the 29 Stumpy you don't like?
    Absolutely love the bike. Ride like a dream and the lack of brain doesn't really matter to me. Handles awesome. Only problem I have is the saddle. There is some weird "creaking" but aside from that...it's awesome. I highly recommend heading down and test driving both to see which fits you best.

Good luck

JRA
    Only problem I have is the saddle. There is some weird "creaking"
    A little grease on your seatpost and/or seat rails should solve your problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ok, so just came from my LBS and test drove the Camber Elite 29er and the Stumpjumper comp 29er and I must say...the Stumpjumper just felt better....I can really say why, but it did. Was it worthy of the additional $600, probably from a component standpoint, from a drive standpoint...not sure. In either event, went with my gut...grabbed the Stumpjumper, having them change out the grips and put on clipless petals....

should get my bad boy by Monday...pictures to follow..this is my first FS bike so I am pretty excited about it...Still love my hardrock and will continue to ride it, but gonna start getting pretty serious and jump on the Stumpcrusher so Im good!

I love mine! You made the right choice. Also you won't be replacing wheels in a month.