mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Difference in 05 vs 06 Sworks epic shocks and frames?

I have the opportunity to buy an 05' leftover for a good price and was wondering if there was a difference from 06? I know most of the 07's at this level are carbon and i dont want to go that way. I plan on changing out the wheelset, upgrading to disc and some small other things but want to get some feedback on the frame and shock setup? I have been looking for a full suspension race bike for some time and folks have told me to also look at this bike.. Its purely going to be for racing. Its a good deal($3300) as it retailed for $4900. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    '05

Frame:

Quote Originally Posted by Specialized Website
    FSR technology, optimized for BRAIN shock, M5 Alloy fully butted and manipulated frame w/ ORE DT, FACT Carbon link, magnesium shock ext., Titanium brake pivots, alloy water bottle bosses/bolts, sealed cart. bearings, disc compatible, 90mm travel, repl. der. hanger
    Rear Shock:

Specialized BRAIN Adjust IQ shock, manufactured by Fox Racing Shox, air spring, rebound, and threshold (sensitivity) adjust, 11.7� X 1.875�

Frame:

All new Az1 FACT carbon front triangle, M5 alloy rear triangle, FACT carbon link, magnesium shock extension, 100mm travel, full cartridge bearing pivots, Ti cantilever bosses, disc mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Rear Shock:

Specialized Fox Brain Fade shock, adjustable from hardtail firm to trail tune, air spring, rebound adjust, 11.7" X 1.875"
    Looks like they went to the Brainfade knob on the 06 and the 06 frame got a bigger CF treatment.
    :wq

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    And 90mm (2005) to 100mm (2006) rear travel and asymmetrical chain stays too I think.

mtbr member
    I think in general all Epics in '06 also got a slightly slacker head angle from 71.5 degrees in the '05 to 70.5 degrees in the '06 due to the 100mm fork. Specialized also steepened the seat angle to 74 degrees in the '06 from 73 degrees in the '05.