Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Did you pay MSRP for Stump Jumper FSR 29?

4K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Nods Dad 
#1 ·
I have a shop that is selling the SJ at the $3000 msrp just like the site and they told me that Specialized are so in demand that they sell for MSRP, not a cent lower.

#10 ·
From the looks of it, it seems like everyone is either getting some kind of discount or deal compared to just straight up MSRP. I would tell your dealer of some of these deals and see if maybe he can do a price match or work with you a bit. If not, see if there are any other Specialized dealers in the area.

#11 ·
My 2012 was 10% below MSRP, plus 30% off accessories, clothing, etc., with the standard tune-ups and adjustments for a year. It wasn't a steal of a deal, but demand was high and they were selling quickly. The support from the LBS has been excellent. No regrets at all.

#17 ·
I paid under MSRP for my Epic, but I also had a connection to that was the sole reason for the discount (and my purchase). I'd be curious to know how many posters had some sort of connections at LBS they bought from. I'd wager to say that a frequent customer might get a better deal than a fresh face to the shop.

#30 ·
I'd wager to say that a frequent customer might get a better deal than a fresh face to the shop.
After over twelve years of shopping at the same shop and buying 4 MOOTS bikes and 6 S Works bikes from them along with various Zipp, Easton, Mavic, Reynolds wheelsets and all kinds of other high end components and clothes and shoes etc... You do get a special deal off retail from time to time it's called customer loyalty.

Here is a tip if your seriously in the market for a 2014 and how we have purchased our last two S Works epics a S works stumpjumper and got a great deal.

The Specalized dealer camp is coming up next month and thats where they go to see all the new stuff for next year then they come back and make their orders for next years inventory that they start getting mid-summer.

The photos and info of the new bikes will leak out in the internets and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the new stuff is gonna be before your dealer even gets back from the camp.

That is the time to act as soon as he gets back from the dealer camp while he is making their initial new year bike model have them add in the bike you want.

if they can get a pre-sale order that is gonna be paid for before it even hits the showroom that's easy money since as soon as the bike comes in it's leaving the shop that day.

I've gotten our last three bikes that way and was out riding them while others were waiting. I got the 1st 2010 Cannondale flash carbon 29er in the state of Texas a few years back by doing exactly that and I got the 2011 S Works epic a year later without even riding either beforehand and both below retail and the hype.

#18 ·
10 percent off msrp. Plus i pay cash, another 10 percent off. Spesh actually mark up msrp so most shop can claim they are on sale for 10 percent off. Do yourself a favor and walk away from a dealer that said spesh are in such high demand that they cant take a cent off. Go to another dealer and be happy.

#20 ·
Over the weekend I ran into a LBS and got quoted on a 2013 SJ FSR Comp Carbon 29 for $2,799. Summer sale they call it, as the others I have seen at other shops were marked down to $3,699. Both sizes were marked down, so definitely not an issue with a specific bike they are trying to get rid of.

About to jump on that deal. What do you guys think?

#23 ·
I have scoured the Utah and NV bike shops. Found a place in SLC in can get a Stumpy FSR Comp 29er for $2650 also 10% all bike related products for 2 weeks. Also found another shop that will sell for $2,700 plus 10% all bike merchandise for 2yrs. Most all shops in NV are $3,000 and no incentives.

#28 · (Edited)
Warranty

Key Word above (GENERALLY) I have almost never hear about a new MTB that has not gotten some type of warranty repair. See mine Below

2002 Giant NRS Too much to remember 3-4 Frames replaced under warranty, Multiple Manitou front shocks which kept breaking the travel adjust, Wheel if I recall correctly

2004 Stumpjumper had Fork Seals, DW link bushings X 3 or 4, 1 or 2 rear shock rebuilds maybe more all covered under warranty.
2006 Racer-x New Rear Triangle New Front Triangle both covered under warranty
2008 Epic had about 20 AFR rear shocks repaired or replaced under warranty
2008 Racer X 0 Problems and I still own it,
2012 Cannondale Flash had New Avid Brakes, 1 Lefty Rebuild, and I have only had it 6 months.

I know that Specialized has been warrantying POS avid brakes, and rear hubs with known issues. Not sure on the models and specifics but there are recalls Almost every new bike I have owned has had warranty work done that would total 1000 or more if I had to pay for it out of pocket. The Warranty has Value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.