Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Did I get the right size?

998 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MacbookPro 
#1 ·
I just got home with a 2007 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 17" size. Not sure what that measures but thats all I know, but the only measurement I found that resembled 17" was from the centre of the crank to the beginning of the seat post.

My inseam is 31 inches, and I do have the 2-4" clearance from the top tube to my groin.

The bike just seems small in relation to me. Im 5' 11". Its actually the frame that looks small. Should I exchange for the larger model?

#2 ·
MacbookPro said:
I just got home with a 2007 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 17" size. Not sure what that measures but thats all I know, but the only measurement I found that resembled 17" was from the centre of the crank to the beginning of the seat post.

My inseam is 31 inches, and I do have the 2-4" clearance from the top tube to my groin.

The bike just seems small in relation to me. Im 5' 11". Its actually the frame that looks small. Should I exchange for the larger model?
Do you feel comfortable on the bike? Does it feel cramped? Does it feel like you are stretched out?

BTW, did you test ride the bike before you bought it?

#3 ·
MacbookPro said:

The 17" is a Medium, and just from guessing, I'd say it's too small for you. When you mention 31" inseam, is that your pants measurement or "true inseam?" To measure, jam a book up your crotch, and measure from the top of the book to the floor...

Two things to check as well. How extended is the seatpost? Also, per Lumbee1's post, do you feel cramped in the cockpit? Your LBS could swap out the stem for a longer one and "extend" the length of the toptube.

Lastly, it's a $1,600 bike. Get on a Large and compare vs. the Medium. Work with your LBS to determine a proper fit including seat height, stem length, and seat position (forward or aft).

#5 ·
The seat post is in the lowest position and my feet do not make it to the ground. 31" inseam is from my pants. The bike doesnt feel small or cramped, but I can tell that if the bike were any smaller I would feel cramped.

I actually won the bike in a draw and if I want to they will swap it for a larger size. I took the medium because it was the black one. The large was the satin red.

#6 ·
MacbookPro said:
The seat post is in the lowest position and my feet do not make it to the ground. 31" inseam is from my pants. The bike doesnt feel small or cramped, but I can tell that if the bike were any smaller I would feel cramped.

I actually won the bike in a draw and if I want to they will swap it for a larger size. I took the medium because it was the black one. The large was the satin red.
Could you exchange it for the Satin Red? It would be better to have a free bike that fit with a paint color you don't like over a bike that is too small and uncomfortable to ride.

#8 ·
For your height, a medium could be considered small, but for your inseem (if measured correctly) I've read that it could be fine. I ride a medium and my inseam is 33", but my height is only 5'9 1/2". I agree, just test out a large and see how it feels. Be sure to adjust the seat proper when trying it.

#9 ·
ilmaestro said:
For your height, a medium could be considered small, but for your inseem (if measured correctly) I've read that it could be fine. I ride a medium and my inseam is 33", but my height is only 5'9 1/2". I agree, just test out a large and see how it feels. Be sure to adjust the seat proper when trying it.
He is not measuring his inseam correctly (using pants). MacbookPro, go to a flat surface (tile, hardwood, linoleum, concrete, etc.) and stick a tape measure between your legs. Push it firm against your "riding area" and run the tape out to the ground. Typically, large tape measures have a 3" body, smaller tape measures have a 2" body, but you can wrap the tape around and measure it yourself to be sure.

#11 ·
Ok this is what I did. Went back to the store and they didnt have the large size in this bike. So I exchanged it for a large hard tail stumpjumper disc. All the components were better than the FSR, except it doesnt have a rear shock. but i think hard tail will suit me better because i couldnt stand the pedalling sag i got.

#13 ·
i was just going through the manuals today and i found the original price tag of the stumpjumper. it says $2500!!!!!??? Then it has a marked down price of $1899. Could someone tell me why this bike is so expensive...i saw other hard tail stumpys for less than a grand on these forums...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.