mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. DH/Jumping- Stumpy-Enduro-SX Trail

I have a Stumpy '07 FSR Expert which i bought for XC and trail as its light and fast and a great ride really. Been riding it for 6 months and its superb. I havn't (until this weekend) ridden anything other than relatively easy trail and I took it out this weekend expecting some climbs and landed up doing proper downhill and 4x Jumping (that i havn't done for ages).It handled surprisingly well, but it seems its just not the proper tool for the job. Even though i am only 5''5" and ride a small frame, the Float R was heaving and it felt twitchy on decent. So the question is do i keep the Stumpy, can i upgrade the rear shock to a DHX? Is it worth changing the Expert 'cos it is what it is and its brilliant at what its meant for. Considering that i now have the bug again and will be doing more DH and jumping than XC, but would still like to ride trails and climb some, can anyone help with advice on an Enduro or SX Trail?

The Other Dude
    I love my SX Trail, and i do everything with it, including 20-30 mile XC rides, it climbs great, and decends like a dream. Out of all the bikes i own, it is by far the Most Fun bike to ride. I had an enduro expert also, and it is a REALLY nice bike, i just prefer the feel of coil and oil shocks over air, thats why i went with the SXT. Either route you go, you will be happy.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Jut8, thanks for your input. What about the spec on the '06 SXT, can still pick one up discounted now - has a Marzocchi 66F and DHX 40 Coil, bike was quite expensive as stock last year but seems to be better spec'd than the '07 SXT I , not as good as the '07 SXT II which has a 50 rear, but then it's cheaper than the '07 - this may be a plan after all...

The Other Dude
    Sweet. The SXT is a great bike, i dont know too much about the 66F fork, but i love my new 66 RC2 ETA on my SXT. The 4.0 is a great shock. I also sent you a PM, do you know what sizes they have left over?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net