mtbr member
    May 2005

Demo7 + Saint Crankset + Front Derailluer (paging JakeWake)

Due to very few people having a Demo7 yet I'll be suprised if anyone can answer this other than JakeWake (those with Demo8s setup this way may be of help though).

I got my Demo7 last week and as this is going to be my do-it-all bike I have set it up with a double chainring (Shimano Saint Crankset) up front and a front derailluer (Shimano M760 low-clamp). I noticed when changing the cranks over that the standard Truvativ Holzfeller/Howitzer BB setup seems to have a wider chainline (56mm I believe though I could be wrong here).

The Saints have a 50mm chainline - is this going to cause any real hassles? It seems to all work OK other than when in the big ring up front and smallest at the back there is a bit of an angle on the chain which causes a little noise (doesn't bounce out of gear or anything though). I'm currently running 2.5mm + 1mm spacers between the BB cup and the frame to space it out a little more.

I am also looking to put a e-13 DRS or Blackspire Stinger (ISCG05 ??) on there - will this all fit in? Seems quite tight.

Looking at the article on NSMB about the new Demos I noticed there was a gold Demo there which had Saint Cranks and a Front Derailluer so I assume it should all be sweet (though I noticed there was no chainguide).

http://www.nsmb.com/images/gear/spec...06/d7jason.jpg

(judging by the photo name it may even be your bike Jason)

Any help really appreciated I still have 4 weeks off the bike due to a broken wrist so I want to get it setup mint.
    Last edited by bettermanNZ; 01-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure if the Demo 7 is like the Demo 8, but it sounds like it is. What size is your BB shell 68mm or 73mm? Does your rear wheel have a 6mm offset like the 8? If it does, check out my post below. I'm trying to do the same thing you are doing with my Demo 8. If I get my "problem" resolved I'll let you know.

Duc

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2658874

mtbr member
    You should be running a crankset with a 56mm chainline. You can get the 50mm chainline Saints to work, but it will not be optimal - if you have to ask why, do some homework. You need to understand why a 56mm is spec'd and should be run. Your choices are an ISIS 73-128mm BB with any ISIS crank arms or the Howitzer/Holzfeller combo.

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by bettermanNZ
    Due to very few people having a Demo7 yet I'll be suprised if anyone can answer this other than JakeWake (those with Demo8s setup this way may be of help though).

I got my Demo7 last week and as this is going to be my do-it-all bike I have set it up with a double chainring (Shimano Saint Crankset) up front and a front derailluer (Shimano M760 low-clamp). I noticed when changing the cranks over that the standard Truvativ Holzfeller/Howitzer BB setup seems to have a wider chainline (56mm I believe though I could be wrong here).

The Saints have a 50mm chainline - is this going to cause any real hassles? It seems to all work OK other than when in the big ring up front and smallest at the back there is a bit of an angle on the chain which causes a little noise (doesn't bounce out of gear or anything though). I'm currently running 2.5mm + 1mm spacers between the BB cup and the frame to space it out a little more.

I am also looking to put a e-13 DRS or Blackspire Stinger (ISCG05 ??) on there - will this all fit in? Seems quite tight.

Looking at the article on NSMB about the new Demos I noticed there was a gold Demo there which had Saint Cranks and a Front Derailluer so I assume it should all be sweet (though I noticed there was no chainguide).

http://www.nsmb.com/images/gear/spec...06/d7jason.jpg

(judging by the photo name it may even be your bike Jason)

Any help really appreciated I still have 4 weeks off the bike due to a broken wrist so I want to get it setup mint.

It sounds like you got it running fine. Yes, it's possible to run a 50mm chainline on Demo7/8. We have not encountered any problems yet, and in some cases it works better. It all depends on your exact components. If you are running a wide tire the chain may rub on the side knobs when in the lowest gear. If this is not occuring and the front derailleur shifts, then you are good to go. The chain may actually stay on better with the combination of an offset rear triangle and a narrower chainline.

The Stinger will work, but like most chain guides, you may have to shim something to get it perfect.

Jake Wake

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks a lot Jason! I was starting to think I was going to need to head out and buy another set of Holzfellers to go on there to get the setup I'm after.

Shimming, Dremeling, and chainguides go hand-in-hand :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How does the demo 7 pedal? does the cockpit feel big?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    you should search a few threads on the Demo 8 as it has the same issues as the new Demo 7's.
    the Demo 7 has a 73mm BB and a 6mm offset 135 hub just like the Demo 8.
    you are going to need a 57mm crankset for this frame too.