Thread: Demo Vs. Bighit

Old No. 7

Demo Vs. Bighit

Talk about the main diff. between the Demo bikes and Bighits.
    I've been free riding / downhilling for almost a year now and desire a different bike, well better bike. It feels like the Bighit just isn't cutting it anymore. Maybe I'm just way off on this one but a Demo is all I can think about when it comes to a new bike.
    So I'm wondering if the trouble of selling my bike, swaping parts, and paying the diff. for a used demo is worth the proformance diff. And if you think it is worth the diff. and trouble, why, why is the Demo so much better than the Bighit. What do you think about Bighits? Are they really just a good bike to learn on, and quickly out grow?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    May 2005

Yeah man I know what you mean..

I have a 05 bighit fsr and just lately I feel I have grown out of it, so I test rode a 06 demo 8 one for a day... holy crap the demo was awesome. I'm not sure it was just the better suspension components on the demo (i mean.. the 05 fsr has kingpins.. OMFG! they are crap), but the demo just nailed flat landing (where my 05 fsr would of bottomed out) and rolls better with the 26inch rear. One of my main reasons now for my getting the demo 8 is because it has the 26inch rear.

The demo 8 has given me room to grow again

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm sure it's hard to out grow the Bighit.

Some people think that the Bighit is somewhat 'lesser' than other Freeride-DH bikes because they are so cheap and have a 24" rear wheel.
    Well my Bighit had a 26" BETD seat stay.
    The 26" rear wheel rolls faster over very rough terrain and you have more tires too choose from....and that's about it.
    After 8 months on the 26" I tried the 24" again.
    I was amazed how much better it was in corners, manuals, acceleration, maneuverability...etc with the 24".
    So I decided to keep the 24" and I wanted less travel, because the bike felt a little sluggisch on most trails and tracks, so I bought a shorter shock.
    With the new 8.5" eye-2-eye and 2.5" stroke shock, the HA was slacker, the BB lower and I had 7" travel. My Bighit rode much better and I was faster on almost all tracks...
    with less travel and the 24".

The Demo's are nice bikes, but the Bighit is not that far beyond.

Don't underestimate the Bighit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's price...
    The demo is much more expensive because of the advanced suspension technology and better components it brings... it's the latest and greatest and what the pros are riding.
    The new big hits run a 26" rear wheel and at the top end get a less expensive 888 model that is found on the lower end demo 8. It's all about the price progression. They are both awesome bikes though...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBFreerideCT
    It's price...
    The demo is much more expensive because of the advanced suspension technology and better components it brings... it's the latest and greatest and what the pros are riding.
    The new big hits run a 26" rear wheel and at the top end get a less expensive 888 model that is found on the lower end demo 8. It's all about the price progression. They are both awesome bikes though...

The top bighit has 888VF were as the demo 8 I has 888 VF2. THe VF2 has external compression and rebound adjustments, compared to the VF having internal rebound adjustment (not sure if it has external compression adjustment)

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Racingroo
    Yeah man I know what you mean..

I have a 05 bighit fsr and just lately I feel I have grown out of it, so I test rode a 06 demo 8 one for a day... holy crap the demo was awesome. I'm not sure it was just the better suspension components on the demo (i mean.. the 05 fsr has kingpins.. OMFG! they are crap), but the demo just nailed flat landing (where my 05 fsr would of bottomed out) and rolls better with the 26inch rear. One of my main reasons now for my getting the demo 8 is because it has the 26inch rear.

The demo 8 has given me room to grow again
    did your kingpins blow their seals as soon as you rode off a curb sized drop like wut hapened to my friend todayhttp://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=162920&page=4