Thread: Demo or Big Hit

mtbr member

Demo or Big Hit

So I am thinking of buying a more friendly DH bike and I have narrowed it down to a Demo or Big Hit, probably a few years old. My question is with sizing. I have found a bunch of mediums and wonder if it will fit or if I am wasting my time. I am 5'11", 160lbs. I have heard that some folks ride smaller DH bikes for the fling factor, but just wondering what you guys are actually riding?

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Only way you'll know is to go test ride one! I'm 6'1, 200lbs, and plan on grabbing a new B.H. FSR3 in the spring.

mtbr member
    im 5 11 and ride a med BH. great fit.

mtbr member
    thanks prophet, thats what I was looking for. Concise and straight-forward.

mtbr member
    Definitely get a medium. I'm 6' and ride one.

mtbr member
    Agree. Im 5'11'' also and ride a medium Demo 7 & 8.

The Other Dude
    5'10 with a 33" inseam and I ride a Medium Demo 8.....and i normally ride large bikes for my XC rigs, both of my stumpys are 19's.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I am 6' and ride a large demo 8 try to test one if you can.

Gnar
    I am 5'11" and ride an 08 Demo 7, the fit is great! Decide between a Big Hit and Demo yet?

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I haven't made a decision yet, so any help in deciding would be great. I have a Heckler built up as an AM rig and want something closer to a DH bike. I don't really know the difference between the two but I am looking for 8" of travel and pretty much a shuttle bike. I am entering my first DH race and if all goes well, my new bike will be a shuttle/race bike. Can anyone explain the differences between the two? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There are two huge differences between Demos and BigHits:
    1. price and parts, and
    2. geometry.
    Arguably, there is a 3rd: suspension design.

The first point is pretty self-explanatory. Better stuff costs more. But, it is cheaper for Specialized to buy good stuff in bulk than it is for a consumer to buy it one piece at a time. Moral of the story: get the best bike you can afford, rather than thinking you'll upgrade something down the road.

The Demo has always, I believe, been lower and slacker than the BigHit, which makes it better suited for racing, and some would say less suited for general "freeriding". The attributes that make it racier can be frustrating for less experienced riders because they tend to ring their pedals off rocks (low bottom bracket height), and the bike does not feel responsive at lower speeds (slack head angle).

Assuming we are not talking about the single-pivot BigHits of the last couple years, the bikes still have slightly different suspension design. They're all Horst link (FSR), but with the Demo bikes, the shock is driven from a different point on the rear triangle--the chainstay rather than the seatstay. I ride a Demo and I honestly don't know if I can feel the difference. Maybe I could in a back-to-back comparison. I just don't know.

If you go back far enough in the BigHIt lineage, they had 24" rear wheels. This would definitely be a disadvantage for racing.

With all of that said, you'll get a good bike either way. I have only done a tiny bit of racing (and I completely suck, by the way), but I can say that if I were you I would not let the desire to race influence my purchase decision too much. From what I have seen, fast guys are fast on any bike, and the rest of us are less so. Even if the bike makes a whole second or even two of difference, for most of us that might be the difference between 65th place and 64th. Get a bike that you will want to ride as much as possible, rather than only in special circumstances.

Hope some of that helps!