mtbr member

Demo 8 vs. '04 Big Hit Expert?

Hey - I don't want to start flame war or anything too controversial - just interested in the facts.

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade my fantastic '04 Big Hit Expert to a Demo 8? I can imagine the improvements in some respects moving to a 26" rear wheel. Anything else?

I'm curious if there are any real benefits to the Demo 8 for fast DH riding / drops at bike parks. Preferred comments from people who've owned both bikes.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have owned a demo 8 I (2006) and a 2005 bighit fsr. Now the demo 8 will **** all over the fsr initially just by the spec list (eg demo 8 has 888's and DHX4 rear shocks, compared to fsr's crappy stance kingpins and average fox vanilla r rear).. So I can't really do a direct comparison of frames. So I can't tell you if its the suspension or the frame, but man does the demo 8 rock. My old fsr use to bang and crash down tracks, the demo 8 just glides. And the rear has a bit of the bottemless travel feel (or maybe I just haven't dropped from a high enough height).

I would like to ride a bighit with better equipment one day so I could see if it's an improvement over the 05 fsr.

mtbr member
    Yeah - you could be very right about the specs masking the '05 Big Hit's true capabilities. It's too bad Specialized needed make a clear marketing distinction between the new flagship Demo 8 and the displaced flagship of old. The '04 Big Hit Expert came with a pretty decent kit - Manitou 4-way and something better up front (Boxxer Race?). I have a Sherman Slider Plus, which is decent enough to not clang and crash all the way down. It feels pretty bottomless on DH and handles some good sized 6' - 7' drops to flat. Bottomless on anything with a tranny at Whistler.

But I hear ya - the Demo 8 sounds like a solid bike!