mtbr member

Demo 8 II mech/cassette alignment problem

I'm trying to install a 10 speed, short cage, X9 mech on my 2012 Demo 8 and can't get the top jockey wheel to align with the largest cog on the cassette, as per SRAM instructions. Despite adjusting the mech screw the top jockey wheel stops 1-2mm short of being directly under the large cog. The cassette is a 10 speed 11-26t SRAM cassette. The hub is a Chris King ISO. Attached are a couple of photos showing the problem, in the first I placed a piece of white card behind the cassette (looking forward from behind the bike) to try to make the alignment mismatch more clear. The cage is as far over to the inside as possible.
    I noticed there is about 3-4mm of axle visible between the small cog and the inside of the chainstay (2nd photo). Should that be there? Is the cassette too far towards the center of the wheel or is the mech cage not moving as far inwards as it should? Do I need some kind of spacer behind the cassette? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo 8 II mech/cassette alignment problem-jockey_alignment.jpg  

Demo 8 II mech/cassette alignment problem-cassette_gap.jpg  

adamant
    Sep 2006
    5-6mm from center of 11T cog to inside of frame on my 2011/12 demo 8.

i suspect you need a spacer on your hub. did you check Chris King tech docs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo 8 II mech/cassette alignment problem-bike-006.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks more like it! I found a 2mm plastic spacer off an old cassette and tried that but when I fit that the smallest cog no longer slides onto the splines and just spins and the lock nut doesn't reach the threads so I'm thinking I need 1.5mm or just 1mm.

My CK hub docs only mention spacers for use with the single speed hub but I've seen CK do 0.5mm steel spacers for this problem. Now I'll have to source a couple. Thanks for the reply, I think you've put me on the right track.