mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Demo 7 wheel dish?

I am getting a new rear wheel for my Demo 7 and I am wondering what the dish is?

Thanks
    Go BIG or Go HOME

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Specialized indicates in the Demo 7 users manual that the offset is 6 mm, but I have found that the dish needs to be closer to almost 10 mm. I recently had a wheel built with a 7 mm offset, and it was still about 4 mm closer to the drive side seatstay than the nondrive side. I then trued the wheel to be centered between the stays (and directly behind the rear shock) by truing with the wheel mounted in the frame and then used the truing stand to do the final detail truing.

Your best bet is to have the shop use your frame as a guide (if you are not building the wheel). If the shop sells Specialized they should know what's up, but I would still check it in the frame before riding it. That way you don't end up with your tire rubbing your chain or your frame.

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I work at a shop and one of the other guys is building my wheels. So tell him around 8-10 mm offset?
    Last edited by CountryBoy; 07-21-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Calm Like a Bomb
    i dished some deemax to 5mm
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I believe the 8-10 would be good, but I also never saw a dish gauge on my wheel, and only assume that they did the initial 7 mm that I told them to do .

If you work in a shop you should be able to hold the rim in the frame, mount the hub, and then use a dish gauge to get a starting number to work with. Then once the wheel is built, put it in the frame and make sure the rim is centered directly behind the seat tube and the rear shock. Then adjust accordingly.

good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out once you get going.

I noticed you run an '08 4X and an '07 demo 7. Great bikes! I run an '07 4X and an '08 Demo 7.

Calm Like a Bomb
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    i asked for 6mm dish and it fits perfectly central,and the dude that built them also recommended 6mm as he previousley owned a demo.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am beginning to think that some wheel builders don't understand the 6 mm offset and that my wheel was built incorrectly, then I actually dished it to the 6-7 mm offset while it was on the frame. Like I said before, I never saw a dish gauge on it so maybe it wasn't at 6 or 7.

mtbr member
    wouldnt surprise me in the least.

mtbr member
    I may be wrong here, but i believe the "normal" dish is 6mm towards the drive side to compensate for the cassette being there. Hense the shorter spokes on the drive side. So when you dish the demo 7 wheel it ends up being abotu 12 actual mm's (6+6mm).
    I've built up one set of wheels for my demo 8 which went to my demo 7 about 1.5 yr's ago. I had help along the way so im not sure if my description is correct about the spacing.

Ok. I just mesaured the dish on my wheel. It's exactly 12mm offset to the left.
    So to describe it would be= Place a normal wheel in the dropouts of the Demo and the tire will be closer to the right seat/chain stay and almost rubbing.
    Dish the rim 12mm to the left and you should be dead on (the 6+6mm)
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That would make sense. IF mine was dished the 7 mm offset I requested from the wheel builder, and I changed it 4+ mm more to the non-drive side, that would be 11+ mm. I am sure various people get confused by the terminology for dish, and offset, and everything else with wheel building. I think I'l build the next set, it just didn't cost me more to have the shop build this one, since all the parts were ordered new.

thanks for the info!