mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Demo 7 shock - custom?!

As the DHX 4 from my Demo is damaged I sent a DHX 5 (8.5x2.5) I had laying around to be reshimmed and serviced in order to be used on the Demo. However, after sending the DHX 5 I discovered that a regular bushing can be pushed in/out easily using fingers from the rear shock mount on the DHX 4. Is it custom with a larger diameter than regular shocks? Will I get a DHX 5 that can't be used on the Demo due to not having the correct diameter shock mount?!

Stray Bullet
    Nothing custom about the DHX on the Demo 7. You're spare shock should work no problem. If you're really worried why don't you test fit it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Nothing custom about the DHX on the Demo 7. You're spare shock should work no problem. If you're really worried why don't you test fit it?
    Because I can't, I sent the DHX 5 away to a service centre before noticing that a regular bushing probably can't be used in the rear of the DHX 4 because it's all loose and sloppy in there. It's all black with paint inside where the bushing is supposed to sit, so I don't think it's in any way worn. Tested with a new regular bushing from Fox that would need to be pressed in with a suitable tool on my DHX 5.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Demo 7 (and SXT, Enduro and probably more) don't have a bush in the rear end of the shock. In the case of the Demo 7 the rear end is clamped between spacers which are connected to cartridge bearings (no bushing to wear out - excellent).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bettermanNZ
    The Demo 7 (and SXT, Enduro and probably more) don't have a bush in the rear end of the shock. In the case of the Demo 7 the rear end is clamped between spacers which are connected to cartridge bearings (no bushing to wear out - excellent).
    Sorry about probably being unclear.

I don't have any issues or problems with how to attach the shocks on my Demo. I'm well aware that no bushing is used.

Trying to explain the question once again; the DHX 4 that was used on the Demo is laying around while the DHX 5 I plan to use on the Demo is sent away for service and shimstack configuration. Due to having to use the DHX 4 as a temporary solution at another bike I added the bushing which DIDN'T sit in there. It's REALLY LOOSE. A tool SHOULD be needed in order to press it in.

So the question is; will the axle in the rear shock assembly on the demo be TO BIG for the regular DHX 5 rear eyelet? Is the shock from the Demo, the DHX 4 shock rear eyelet custom size (bigger) that regular? Weird..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK, think I understand now. Sounds very strange that the bush you installed was loose, definitely should be a press fit. Very highly doubt that the eyelet size of the DHX4 is custom for the Demo so the DHX5 you have should work, keep us posted.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Did you get a Fox bushing? I'm quite positive that fox has a larger OD bushing than most other shocks.

Members who have read this thread: 0