mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Deciding on which Stumpy FSR model

Hey everybody,

I am in the market for finally buying an FS bike, and I've narrowed my search down to the following stumpies: 2012 stumpy evo, 2012 stumpy comp, and 2013 stumpy comp. Right now I have a fairly decent deal available on a 2012 stumpy evo comp (some upgrades to the drivetrain, wheels, handlebars, brakes) for $2100. I haven't been able to find any 2012 comps used for a reasonable price (at least not in a build that I care for). On the other hand I am also considering the new 2013 comp. I realize that their isn't much of a difference between the two (2012 vs 2013), so it's really coming down to whether or not I should go for the evo.

For your consideration: I will be doing a fair bit of cross country riding, with some modestly technical terrain. I like the idea of increased downhill capability, but I don't know that I will take full advantage of it. Basically, I don't want to sacrifice climbing prowess for a modestly better descender. My local terrain has a fair bit of cobbles, some large rocks, and a good bit of steep climbing and descending in loose conditions. I do like to hit the occasional "easy" downhill trail (suited to trail/AM bikes more than shuttling in my opinion), but again there will be a good bit of XC/trail riding in order to get there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and please feel free to ask any additional questions to help you, help me

Thanks.
    Last edited by beammescotty; 04-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Glad to hear you thinking about a stumpy. I have owned several stumpy fsr comps over the years. I currently ride a 2012 stumpy fsr comp 26er. Its got plenty of travel (140mm) and climbs just as good as my old stumpy with only 120mm travel. I ride southeastern wyoming and northern colorado trails. I have never felt the need for more travel like what the evo model offers.

mtbr member
    Have you considered the Camber Comp? I considered the Stumpy and my LBS convinced me to go with the Camber based on the type of riding I do which sounds very similar.
    Ride like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No Im not a 29er fan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you go with a stumpy 26er your dealer will most likely have to order you one.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the EVO changes to the standard SJ line. More travel and slightly slacker. This won't impair your XC needs, but it will certainly assist in any progress you're seeking in DH. That 2012 SJ Comp EVO you have looks like a pretty good price, especially considering the upgrades. You won't find any considerable advantages on the 2013 over the 2012 except a few iterations of color changes if that's important to you. Given the difficulty in locating new Stumpy's and the cost savings for 2012, it would be an easy decision for me.

Edit: I forgot that there is one advantage of 2013 over 2012, and that is the move from Fox 32 to Fox 34. Deal breaker, no. Upgradable in the future, sure.
    Last edited by ebeer; 04-05-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added comment

mtbr member
    I went from a 2011 Stumpjumper Elite to a 2013 Stumpjumper Evo. I even "evo"fied my 2011 for a while using a 150mm fork and the shock from the Evo model.

When it came to regular trail riding and climbing, there really is not much of a difference in feel to me. The biggest difference is in the downhill feel. The Evo feels a little more stable and capable and is just flat out more fun to descend and jump with.

$2100 for an upgraded Evo comp is a great deal. I love my Evo so much that I ride it on everything now. I have a 29er HT I use to ride on more mellow XC trails, but the SJ Evo is so fun to ride my 29er is collecting dust.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    Edit: I forgot that there is one advantage of 2013 over 2012, and that is the move from Fox 32 to Fox 34. Deal breaker, no. Upgradable in the future, sure.
    2013 Comp has a Fox 32 on it, actually. They don't spec a Fox 34 on any of the Stumpy models.

Regardless, if you're considering an Evo, the used one you posted is a great deal. If you're considering the Comp, one advantage of the 2013 is it has a thru-axle in the front and the 2012 doesn't. Other than that, they're not so different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all of the great responses, I'll let you know which one I pull the trigger on.

For those of you curious about the 34 fox fork, it is specced on the 2013 expert evo only. Thanks for all of the input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm sure the 2014 Comp Evo will have the new RockShox Pike on it. Might be worth waiting for. 35mm uppers, 150mm of travel, Lyrik stiffness/Revelation weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone interested...

I have a 2013 Stumpy EVO Expert for sale on eBay (may be listing in he classified as well). It the sweet color combo - Carbon, Cyan and Orange.

The EVO expert is a sweet bike, probably one the best I've ever ridden.

I wanted a Pivot Mach 429 for quite some time now; now that they have a carbon version I'm going to build one up.

2013 Stumpjumper FSR EVO Expert 29 L K | eBay

eBay user: mcdabq

Jay