mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Deciding between 2004 SJ Expert Disc or 2003 Sugar 2+ Disc

I am in the market for a new bike for trail riding/adventure racing. I am trying to stay under $2000.

I have found a demo 2003 Gary Fisher Suger 2+ for $1400. It hasFOX Float rear and FOX Talas Fork(it does not have travel adjustment, must be an earlier run) and XT, XTR components with Hayes Disc brakes.

OR

I can get a new 2004 SJ Expert Disc for $1750.

What do you guys think??? I would not want to miss out on Sugar, but the weather is so cold and there is so much snow on the ground that I cannot really test ride it it on trails.

I am just looking for some opinions.

Thank You
    Cagri

MOOSE KNUCKLE?

The Stumpy!

Quote Originally Posted by cagri
    I am in the market for a new bike for trail riding/adventure racing. I am trying to stay under $2000.

I have found a demo 2003 Gary Fisher Suger 2+ for $1400. It hasFOX Float rear and FOX Talas Fork(it does not have travel adjustment, must be an earlier run) and XT, XTR components with Hayes Disc brakes.

OR

I can get a new 2004 SJ Expert Disc for $1750.

What do you guys think??? I would not want to miss out on Sugar, but the weather is so cold and there is so much snow on the ground that I cannot really test ride it it on trails.

Thank You
    Cagri
    check out the link below
    Do a search for "Sugar chainsuck "on old forum and get a Snickers cause youre not going anywhere for awhile.
    A TALAS thats not travel adjustable? TALAS stands for Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring. Dude stay away from that fork for Gods sake.
    http://www.specialized.com/sbc4Bar.j...site=10080&a=b
    [size=1]Bikes are life! Some people don't have a bike...
    [/size][size=3]Wade[/size]

mtbr member
    That's a great price on the Stumpy FSR expert disc I think...I'm hoping to get somebody down to $1850 so I can get out the door for 2K if that's what I end up getting. Everybody has it for $1999.99 around here.

I fell in love with that bike after riding it. Tried Rocky Mountain, Kona, Marin and liked the Specialized the best in that price range.

I'll be trying out some others including the Fisher Cake, I don't know if they suffer from chain suck as mentioned above as well...? Anyways the Expert disc is very sweet and it's gonna take a lot to make me want something else at this point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    That's a great price on the Stumpy FSR expert disc I think...I'm hoping to get somebody down to $1850 so I can get out the door for 2K if that's what I end up getting. Everybody has it for $1999.99 around here.

I fell in love with that bike after riding it. Tried Rocky Mountain, Kona, Marin and liked the Specialized the best in that price range.

I'll be trying out some others including the Fisher Cake, I don't know if they suffer from chain suck as mentioned above as well...? Anyways the Expert disc is very sweet and it's gonna take a lot to make me want something else at this point.
    Yes the dealer over here is very nice, and I will be buying 2 bikes so that helps, I I get sugar I will be replacing the middle ring(for free from manufacturer, gary realizes this problem) to stop the chain suck. I guess a log of sugers came with wrong middle ring which caused chain suck. Anyway, I am leaning towards SJ but this sugar 2+ is $2400 brand new, so $1000 off is a pretty good deal. The fork is the only thing that worries me a bit. Decisions... Decisions....

mtbr member
    There is a reason that the '03 Sugar is so much cheaper. Why you ask? Because they sold poorly, and nearly all the Sugar owners I know have had their rear triangle replaced. My old LBS sold quite a few when they first came out and have since all of the riders have moved on to other designs, and I forget how many came in with broken rear triangles. The suspension action is no where near as plush and actice when you want it to be, not when you don't (function of the Triad rear shock). Look at the parts spec too, The SJ wins this hands down.

Please ride both and see what you think. If the Sugars works for you, sure buy it. But all the same, 1850 for the SJ Expert Disc is impossible to beat. You'll be happier....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi, Chris. I'm sort of jumping in here.

Do you think the SJ Expert Disc (what you have) is race worthy? Do you race?

mtbr member
    Yes, absolutely. It is raceable. Nothing about the bike would impede your performance.

Yes, I do race, albeit very badly.

The Arkansas AMBCS series is run on courses that aren't groomed and are anything but smooth, with maybe the exception of Old Post. Personally I am definitely faster on the SJ than on my hard tail, just don't get bounced around, no longer have to muscle my bike back on the trail afte being deflected by some obstacle. This isn't a big problem for smaller riders, but unfortunately I'm 5'9, 180, and it's a problem for me. That being said, your weight will define what you ride more than anything else, or it should.

You've gotta go to a shop and take a spin on one, hopefully demo a SJ with a Triad rear shock. It's just a better ride, with the exception of the Blur, but even then I prefer the linear suspension feel to sliding off the back sensation of the Blur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cagri

Thank You
    Cagri
    For what it's worth I just sold my '03 Sugar 2+ Disc to a buddy who had a Spec Stumpjumper FSR. Odd thing is I just got my '04 Spec Epic Marathon a couple weeks ago. Vicious cycle it is...

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeH
    For what it's worth I just sold my '03 Sugar 2+ Disc to a buddy who had a Spec Stumpjumper FSR. Odd thing is I just got my '04 Spec Epic Marathon a couple weeks ago. Vicious cycle it is...

Mike
    How did you like your 03 Sugar 2+ Disc ??? So your body preffered Sugar to SJ FSR?

Thanks