mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Deciding between '07 Specialized FSRxc RIM or '08 Giant Trance 2... advice?!

Now before I get flamed, I need to preface this by saying a few quick things:

1. I've been out of riding for a number of years and am very excited about getting back into it. That being said, I've done hours of reading on catch-up research here in the forums and all over.

2. The Maestro (Giant) system is new (at least for me) and seems very impressive.

3. The FSR design has been around for a while. I dont think it has changed much...?

So, I need some objective advice about which you would recommend for me.

About me:

I'm 5'11" 185lbs. Intermediate rider. Mainly XC, I guess. Singletrack, drop-offs here and there, etc etc. Nothing EXTREME. Somewhat aggressive rider.

I want something that is going to ride efficiently. Climbs well (technical climbing, too), pedaling power going to wheels and not the rear shock (pogo stick effect on my 10yr old GT iDrive), etc, etc.

Please shed some light on why you would recommend the FSRxc RIM (cant afford COMP) over Giant's system.

Are they both VPP-like systems? Either better than the other?

Components are comporable, I think.

I'm hoping this helps others, and not just me.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    The FSR/Horst-Link suspension is more active at all times than the Maestro. The Maestro has a handy way of "locking out" and not pedal bobbing when climbing. For me, the Maestro will bob at all speeds except climbing, but if you like to mash the pedals when climbing the FSRxc might squat the suspension (basically suck the wheel into the travel a little bit) and bob up and down. The Maestro will stiffen with a lot of chain torque, but stays stiff over rocks and stuff while climbing. That reason alone is why I wouldn't own one unless I wanted a singlespeed conversion of a full suspension bike (and if I did, I would just go for an Epic).

Other than that, it's general fit parts spec.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert