"Fear is victory's fuel!"
    Dec 2012

Update - Deal made! 2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.

I've decided that it's time to upgrade my 27 year old CroMo SJ (go ahead and laugh...that bike and I have been around the country and back!)

Anyway, I've run across a 2012 SJ Comp Carbon that a guy is selling for $1,900. He says that he just didn't get into off-road riding like he thought and now wants a road bike.
    He's had it for less than six months and says it has about 55 miles on it. From the pictures, I'd say it's accurate.

Deal or no Deal?  2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.  Need feedback!-2012-sj-comp-carb.jpg

Deal or no Deal?  2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.  Need feedback!-logo.jpg

Deal or no Deal?  2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.  Need feedback!-top-tube.jpg

Does this appear to be the deal I think it is?

I've never owned a carbon mtb and hadn't really considered it until now. Is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of in terms of the carbon frame (i.e. things to look for)?

I've read several topics in this forum where guys have said that they were looking at 2012 models but were glad they went with 2013. Is the equipment on the new models substantially better than last years?

If I get positive feedback on this bike I'm going to make a short road trip and check it out in person.

Here's the old work horse:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deal or no Deal?  2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.  Need feedback!-trusty-steed-max.jpg  

Deal or no Deal?  2012 SJ Comp Carbon 29er HT.  Need feedback!-mile-12-max.jpg  

Last edited by TeamWahoo; 12-09-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Updated the title.

Dec 2012
    Additional details from the ad:

Size Large (19")
    SRAM X9 rear derailleur
    SRAM X7 front derailleur
    SRAM X7 trigger shifters
    Avid Elixir 7 SL hydraulic disc brakes
    RockShox Reba fork w/ lockout
    Specialized Roval wheels

Also included:
    ESI Racer's Edge grips (practically brand new, only two real rides on them)
    Bottle cages (weigh only 30 grams each)
    Specialized Speedzone Sport wireless computer
    Spare tube

MSRP was $2900. The 2013 model is over $3000 now.
    Last edited by TeamWahoo; 12-07-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Dec 2012
    Anyone have feedback they could offer?

Dec 2012
    I'm "on the hook" to ride it tomorrow. If someone could let me know of a solid way to evaluate the deal (in addition to simply riding the bike). Things I should look for...

Thanks.

p.s. We just got a Specialized dealer in the area, so if I needed to bag the idea of a carbon bike, I have options now.
    Last edited by TeamWahoo; 12-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just spent a few weeks shopping 29er's and picked up a 2010 SJ Expert for 1750 shipped to my door. Considering this is a 2012 and barely ridden, I would say that is a very good deal.

I was previously riding a 1998 Stumpjumper Comp. Can't wait to get "current". I think you should jump on that deal provided you like the fit of the bike.

Tom

official eMpTyBRain
    Yes, good value. Scoop it up!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To answer your other questions, the 2012 has a 'Dual Air' Reba fork, and the 2013 has 'Solo Air'. I myself prefer the Dual Air because you can infinitely and independently adjust your positive and negative spring pressures. With Solo Air you can't. It is advertised that it does it for you. I don't know what I think about that. Anyway, plus one for the 2012 in this regard.

The 2013's moved away from Avid brakes to Magura's. I've never used Magura's myself, but folks really seem to like them. The Avid Elixir 7's that come on the 2012 seem to be working fine (my wife has the aluminum Comp model of the same bike and they haven't given any issues).

As ambassador said, the bike seems like a pretty good deal if it is legit, just make sure it isn't stolen etc. I think that bike was $2900 new.

Oh, if you do get it, re-route the front brake line to the 'inside' of the fork leg.

Good luck, and enjoy it.

**edit...it looks as if the rear brake line could use a shortening too.

Dec 2012
    Thanks guys, for responding. That's the kind of feedback that I was looking for! I believe that this is a legit deal. I'll report back tomorrow. A Large quantity of beer (Hofbrau) has affected my typing, so if this doesn't make sense, I apologize! Dang, I'm surprised I could type that...it took 15 minutes!

Also, I'm concerned about the size. My current ride is a 19.5. It has always felt a little short. I'm 5' 11" with a 34.5" inseam. The bike I'm looking at is a Large (19"). I don't know how that compares to the "classic" size that I'm familiar with. (my bike is 27 years old)
    Last edited by TeamWahoo; 12-08-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamWahoo View Post
    Also, I'm concerned about the size. My current ride is a 19.5. It has always felt a little short. I'm 5' 11" with a 34.5" inseam. The bike I'm looking at is a Large (19"). I don't know how that compares to the "classic" size that I'm familiar with. (my bike is 27 years old)
    You should be fine. The effective TT on that bike is about 24,2 inches I think. At 5'11" you should be pretty good. I think you might even at first feel that it is a little longer than what you're used to, but in the long run, I think you'll be just right.

Ya, right.
    29er frames fit a bit different than 26ers. You'll likely be good to go!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Dec 2012

It's a deal!

UPDATE: It's a deal! $1,800!

I picked it up today.

Looks like it came right off the showroom floor!

Pictures Do Not do it justice! This is one smokin' sexy be-atch!

Took it around block when I got it home and it just kept wanting to go faster. Hills? What hills?! I scoff at your hills. Yeah, Yeah, I'm a little giddy right now.

Then I took my old work horse out and realized that it really is a tank!

What the H3ll, I should have made this move long ago!

official eMpTyBRain
    Wooohooo! WTG!! Enjoy that beauty!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Awesome! Remember to get those lines straightened out...

Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Awesome! Remember to get those lines straightened out...
    That will be my 1st order of business. Thanks.