mbabaracus

De-Braining an Epic?

I have an 04/05 epic. I'm wondering if I can remove the intertial valved shock that is on there and replace it with a Fox RP23. Anybody know if this is possible? Anybody try this?

bm

mtbr member
    Not sure how you would do this, as the brain shock sits to the left of the rear wheel, whilst all other FSR's have their shock in the middle of the seat tube. There is NO provision for it to be anywhere else.

Why do you want to do this???
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mbabaracus
    The reason is because I want a fully compliant bike. The latest generation of shocks with propedal are pretty darned good. I just bought my wife a Titus Racer X and I was hoping to get a similar feel to my epic. Obviously it would require attaching the RP23 using the same method as the epic shock. After all, the epic's shock is just a fox float with an inertial valve hanging off of it.

bm

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yes.. the Epic is a Float, but the length and attachment points of the brain won't allow you to use another shock.

The only alternative (not sure) would be maybe one of the Manitou SPV shocks that Centurion uses on the bikes (same shock position, no horst link), but even that is a long shot...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

simple solution

why not install the new Specialized AFR shock that comes on the 2007 S-works and Marathon? (I have it on my S-Works) When you open up the Trail-Tune dial, the suspension is active all the time.
    You'd have to ask Specialized if the eye-to-eye length is right for your Epic, but it would seem like the ideal solution, since the shock is engineered for an Epic.
    If the shock won't fit, I'd recommend selling the frame and buying a different one, like a Stumpjumper or Racer X (a bike I considered very carefully before buying my new S-Works carbon....) Engineering your own solution is probably going to be expensive and disappointing.
    Anyways, there's my .02 cents

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The spring and damping rates on the Brain-equipped Fox rear shock were developed specifically for the Epic. In other words, the shock is designed to complement the rear wheel telemetry of that particular bike. Fitting an off-the-shelf shock or one from another brand would have unpredictable results in terms of performance.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    I don't see the point on "de-braining" the Epic. I mean, the bike was designed for that kind of shock. Trying to adapt a different shock than a Brain one, should result a PITA. If you're after an "all-the-time-active" kind of rear suspension, I'd suggest you sell your Epic and buy something else...
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I guess it's possible to retrofit another rear shock to the Epic. Here's a bike that is similar to it's design.

Check it out http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_INT/Bikes.Detail.50

But like the others said, just sell your Epic or just wait for the AFR to be sold separately. I heard it'll be out this year. Good luck and post some pics if you do decide to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by ALFRED

I guess it's possible to retrofit another rear shock to the Epic. Here's a bike that is similar to it's design.

Check it out http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_INT/Bikes.Detail.50

But like the others said, just sell your Epic or just wait for the AFR to be sold separately. I heard it'll be out this year. Good luck and post some pics if you do decide to change it.
    the centurion I posted above is the same system, centurion is the german distro for merida and they sell under their own name too using the same LRS suspension system

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Crisillo - I kinda figured that it would be the same bike. You think it'll work?

Quote Originally Posted by ALFRED
    Crisillo - I kinda figured that it would be the same bike. You think it'll work?
    they are similar enough.. but I am not sure if the use the exact same length stroke... because for instance the centurion above has 120mm travel... so it would be good if you could check the specs.

for example here is one on ebay.de right now (size 320 x 63 mm)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Manitou-Swinger-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Fat Boy
    Not that I read bike mags when i'm at work, But I seem to have left my copy of mbr there. They looked at this years merida carbon framed bike and it was fitted with a dt swiss shock. They might be able to hook you up with a different shock to give you the suspension action your looking for.
    Hope this helps. JTB

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_INT/Bikes.Detail.49

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yep, the DT Swiss also products shocks for the merida's LRS system. And you can find them on the market. I've seen them in online stores.

What is the size of the Epic's shock?

Members who have read this thread: 0