I <3 NM

Upset Damnit all to hell.... My '02 Stumpie broke!

Was a mile from the end of a 10 mile ride last night and I heard a *snap*... not good. Had to hike it out.

And I leave for a week in NM on Saturday too....

I <3 NM
    I don't know anyone that has had a linkage failure on a Stumpie. I had the bottom pivot bolt sheer in half a couple months after I bought the bike and there is a pivot bolt that love to back out on the bottom bracket underneath the chain rings, but nothing like this.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Was a mile from the end of a 10 mile ride last night and I heard a *snap*... not good. Had to hike it out.

Perfect opportunity to get yourself a BETD link, and increase your travel.
    Astigmatic Visionary

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Perfect opportunity to get yourself a BETD link, and increase your travel.

BETD link? Tell me more!

'Calm Down'
    Here's their website: https://www.betd.co.uk/

They make great stuff and will ship it to you fast.

jw

BETD link? Tell me more!
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Mine cracked about a year ago, I caught it before both sides went, I had to bail on a ride because of it. Specialized replaced it but I had to pay for labor to install it.

Team Blindspot
    BETD link? Tell me more!

Here's the specific page.

https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=48
    Astigmatic Visionary

Boomslang

Warranty

Hey,

Just take it to your closest LBS and we'll take care of you! We reimburse the dealer so you should not have to pay labor, as someone else suggested.

Jake Wake

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Hey,

Just take it to your closest LBS and we'll take care of you! We reimburse the dealer so you should not have to pay labor, as someone else suggested.

Jake Wake

It is at my LBS (Bikes Etc, Bossier City, La) and they have an RA and Specialized says the part is being shipped. However, it's Fri afternoon and I leave in the morning for a week in NM. I was looking forward to hitting the South Boundry Trail outside of Taos on my Stumpie, but now I'll have to see about a loaner/rental.

Is there a Specialized dealer or two in Albuquerque I can get a loaner/rental from?

Boomslang

www.specialized.com

It is at my LBS (Bikes Etc, Bossier City, La) and they have an RA and Specialized says the part is being shipped. However, it's Fri afternoon and I leave in the morning for a week in NM. I was looking forward to hitting the South Boundry Trail outside of Taos on my Stumpie, but now I'll have to see about a loaner/rental.

Is there a Specialized dealer or two in Albuquerque I can get a loaner/rental from?

I'm sorry that your trip is hampered. You'll have to try our dealer locator on www.specialized.com.

JW

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Hey,

Jake Wake

My shop called today and said my bike was ready, BUT, Specialized charged them $40 for the part!?!?!?!!

Is this true?

Please advise on if this is a legit charge and they aren't 'double-dipping'...

-Nate
    mtbnate@yahoo.com
    Last edited by MTBNate; 08-02-2005 at 07:04 AM.

Team Blindspot
    My shop called today and said my bike was ready, BUT, Specialized charged them $40 for the part!?!?!?!!

Is this true? The bike shop is:

Bikes, Etc.
    2208 Benton Road
    Bossier City, LA 71111
    (318) 746-0174

Please advise on if this is a legit charge and they aren't 'double-dipping'...

-Nate
    mtbnate@yahoo.com

If it's a warranty replacement, there should be no charge for the parts and the LBS will charge for labor.

I can't believe you would be charge $40 to change out a suspension link. What's that going take, 15min tops?!? Are they charging for labor?

Also, $40 cost for the link sounds high as well.
    Last edited by S-Works; 08-01-2005 at 05:45 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

I <3 NM
    They charged me $45 for the part. They said, "Specialized charged us $40 for the part, but, the shipping was free."

I paid and didn't say a word.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 08-02-2005 at 07:04 AM.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Sounds like the shop got it done. You shouldn't be mad because a flimsy linkage broke, do you think the shop is getting rich with their $5 profit.
    I don't think the Specialized warrenty covers the linkage only the frame...you know tubes with welds and stuff. Cut the shop a break unless they treated you like sh!t.

mtbr member

Just a hint...

I'm sorry to hear about your bike and vacation, but if you are open to a little advise- Specialized has a GREAT warranty and customer service. Instead of broadcasting life's troubles on a public forum before you know what the final score is, wouldn't it make more sense to give everyone involved the opportunity to make it right?

Your LBS is not getting rich off $5. If Specialized works like most similar industries, they require the dealer to order the part then file a claim for that part as well as the labor. It does sound strange that the dealer is requesting you to pay if it's covered under warranty. I would work with Specialized and your dealer off-line on this and I'm betting you will get satisfaction. Then post the outcome.

Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Link broke last week

I had the same thing occur just last week. Except my link was cracked on one side. Noticed it as I was wiping down the bike after a ride. My LBS charged me $87.00. $54.99 for the link, $11.99 for 2 bearings, $15.00 for labor and $4.92 tax. I inquired about the warranty since it is a lifetime warranty, but they said since it was 2 years old it wasn't covered. But I said it is a lifetime warranty. But they said not on this part. Sounds like I got ripped off.
    Last edited by kevindef; 08-02-2005 at 03:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Suspension parts are not covered under warranty after a year.

From Specialized website

[size=3]LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAMES AND FRAMESETS [/size]
    [size=3]Subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original [/size][size=3]owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that [/size][size=3]the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The [/size][size=3]lifetime limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal [/size][size=3]conditions and use, and properly maintained. This limited warranty does not apply to [/size][size=3]paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive [/size][size=3]train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components.[/size]

[size=3]Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive [/size][size=3]train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components are [/size][size=3]covered under the limited one (1) year warranty. This warranty is void if the bicycle or [/size][size=3]frameset was not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized [/size][size=3]dealer.[/size]

[size=3]LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON COMPLETE BICYCLE[/size]
    [size=3]s[/size][size=3]ubject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original [/size][size=3]owner of each new Specialized bicycle that this bicycle when new is free of defective materials [/size][size=3]and workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original [/size][size=3]purchase from an authorized Specialized dealer and is conditioned upon the bicycle being [/size][size=3]operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This warranty is void if the [/size][size=3]bicycle was not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized [/size][size=3]dealer. [/size]

[size=3]L[/size][size=3]IMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & [/size][size=3]SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT[/size]
    [size=3]Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the [/size][size=3]original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment [/size][size=3]points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front [/size][size=3]suspension forks, stays, plates, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or [/size][size=3]workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original purchase [/size][size=3]from an authorized Specialized dealer and is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under [/size][size=3]normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This warranty is void if the bicycle was [/size][size=3]not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer. Some [/size][size=3]branded suspension equipment may have additional warranty coverage offered by the specific [/size][size=3]manufacturer. Please check in your owner's manual pack for information regarding these [/size]warranties or check with your authorized Specialized dealer for details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why would the linkage crack or break?

I didn't realize the suspension parts were not covered. Sounds fair to me, Actually, I have had nothing but good things to say about my LBS. They have always been fair and reasonable. I just thought maybe this time they were wrong, but obviously they are correct.

What would cause the linkage to break? I guess a BIG hit would do it. Shock not pumped up enough? It would seem that the only way this could happen is if the shock bottoms out and puts all the stress directly on the linkage. I do fairly agressive XC, but nothing real real serious, maybe a 1 foot drop here and there while flying down hill. That just doesn't seem like it would be enough to do it unless the shock bottoms out for some reason.

mtbr member
    By buddy has the 02 model and has broken that link at least three times. If you notice the links on the new bikes are a lot different and murch beeffier. He is pretty aggresive and I just don't think it was design for anyone that ever gets the wheels off the ground.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    Suspension parts are not covered under warranty after a year.

From Specialized website

[size=3]LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAMES AND FRAMESETS [/size]
    [size=3]Subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original [/size][size=3]owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that [/size][size=3]the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The [/size][size=3]lifetime limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal [/size][size=3]conditions and use, and properly maintained. This limited warranty does not apply to [/size][size=3]paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive [/size][size=3]train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components.[/size]

[size=3]Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive [/size][size=3]train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components are [/size][size=3]covered under the limited one (1) year warranty. This warranty is void if the bicycle or [/size][size=3]frameset was not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized [/size][size=3]dealer.[/size]

[size=3]LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON COMPLETE BICYCLE[/size]
    [size=3]s[/size][size=3]ubject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original [/size][size=3]owner of each new Specialized bicycle that this bicycle when new is free of defective materials [/size][size=3]and workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original [/size][size=3]purchase from an authorized Specialized dealer and is conditioned upon the bicycle being [/size][size=3]operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This warranty is void if the [/size][size=3]bicycle was not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized [/size][size=3]dealer. [/size]

[size=3]L[/size][size=3]IMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & [/size][size=3]SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT[/size]
    [size=3]Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the [/size][size=3]original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment [/size][size=3]points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front [/size][size=3]suspension forks, stays, plates, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or [/size][size=3]workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original purchase [/size][size=3]from an authorized Specialized dealer and is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under [/size][size=3]normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This warranty is void if the bicycle was [/size][size=3]not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer. Some [/size][size=3]branded suspension equipment may have additional warranty coverage offered by the specific [/size][size=3]manufacturer. Please check in your owner's manual pack for information regarding these [/size]warranties or check with your authorized Specialized dealer for details.

Odd.. I called Specialized 10 min's before I picked the bike up and they said the part was sent to the dealer FREE.

mtbr member
    Well the 1 year thing is the stated policy but like anything else there are ways around it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BETD Link cost?

Anyone know how much a BETD link goes for in US dollars? It is for an 2003 Rochopper FSR Comp. Same frame as the 02 Stumpjumper.

Thanks,

Kevin