Oz
    mtbr member

custom Shimano crankset

Does anyone know much about the stock cranks on the Stumpy Expert 29 FSR? The model listed on the website is Custom Shimano FC-M762 XT. How do they compare to the Shimano XT cranks, or the SLX cranks? I see that Specialized uses a lot of "custom" parts on their bikes and wonder if they are the same as the regular Shimano cranks with a different finish. Just curious, I have the Stumpy on order and was just wondering, thanks for any feedback.

Compelling, and rich.
    They're slightly modified last generation XT cranks, if I remember correctly.

They're pretty nice.

Oz
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, does that mean that are a little different than what is currently listed on the Shimano website? I was also wondering if they are similar to the current SLX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Similar to SLX? Sort of, I believe the SLX has improved rings over the previous generation of XT. However the previous generation of XT may be a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The "Custom Shimano FC-M762 XT." crankset is the previous generation xt crankset. The crankset is "custom" because it has different paint/finish than the original (which was silver) and also custom because you cannot buy it in a shop.

The crankset is quite different from the current version or from the slx.

(Anyway the crankset is very good, I still cannot find any reason to upgrade my silver xt to the new version... )

Oz
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the additional feedback. Anyone have any thoughts on any other brands of cranks? I was thinking specifically about Race Face or maybe Truvativ as other options. Any addtional thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    my guess is shimano or specialized found a whole bunch of em in a warehouse somewhere, and cut a deal to get rid of them, still nice cranks, but anything in the mtb market more than 3 years old is considered outdated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz
    Thanks for the additional feedback. Anyone have any thoughts on any other brands of cranks? I was thinking specifically about Race Face or maybe Truvativ as other options. Any addtional thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
    The stock cranks are like 2006 XT style cranks, they weight like 4 grams more than 2007~2009 XT cranks, there is NO reason to upgrade them. When the middle chain ring goes bad, replace it with the CarbonFiber/Steel ring found on 2007 XTs. It weights a bit more, but should last a long long time.

Once you get the bike, the only real upgrades that need to be done are:

an XT 12~36 Rear Cassette (Not made yet)
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost
    different rims once the DT Swiss ones crap out.