mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Custom Paint Job

Thinking of painting an older Stumpy, however I have so many questions. Should I powder coat? Wet paint? I want flake, don't know what size. Something I could do myself? Body shop? Price?
    Anyone have any expierence/wisdom to bestow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by igotem
    Thinking of painting an older Stumpy, however I have so many questions. Should I powder coat? Wet paint? I want flake, don't know what size. Something I could do myself? Body shop? Price?
    Anyone have any expierence/wisdom to bestow?
    Personally I have had alot of powder coating jobs chip off way to easy on many different projects I have done ,
    I would just gently prep the frame and rear section all down and shoot it with a base coat clear coat paint job using PPG systems or Dupont systems,
    I would spend several nights designing what design and color sceems I wanted the finished bike to look like and do it up.

If you have not been into paint and or body work and do not have an area or equipment ready you would be better off finding a freind that does this kind of work , its not as easy as it looks , and the supplies are not cheep and its real easy to screw up .

Price will vary depending on what color combo and art work thats involved in you design ------its not cheep to do this right , but if you had a freind that would help you do it correctky you would learn a great deal

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I like powdercoat

Years ago i had a friend who worked for Yeti powdercoat my old stumpjumper. It looked great and I had no problems whatsoever with the coat chipping or flaking.

It may be hard to find a shop to do it cost effectively though. I do not know the cost differences between powdercoating and basic painting.

Just keep in mind, it will void your warranty.

mtbr member
    these guys in WA do custom powder coating. Don't know the price though.
    http://www.dropnzone.com/
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies. After checking with local powder coating shops, retail paint shops, Home Depot, auto body shops, and rental stores, I have chosen an auto body shop, they were the most helpful and gave me several options. I decided on a candy blue with flake, looks hot on the chip.
    Meanwhile I am rattle canning my hardtail, will post pics soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Finished the paint job, turned out better than I expected

Before

After

Dual Squishy...
    I had my old Bontarger powder coated recently. Matte Tan... Powder Coating has lots of options. Can get metallic colors, glittery colors, matte colors and everything in between. I think powder coating would be more durable and some shops are meticulous about the details. Ask a local bike shop if there is someone they know and recommend...

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! jeepnut22

You have great taste! Very nice looking stuff!

Is your Bontrager the old school "magical" one? The one that achieved mythical status?

It looks like the one that had the perfect ride feel, tubing kind & size, geometry angles etc.?
    Widely regarded as the BEST steel hardtail EVER made...

I think that's the one I've been looking for (for about 5 years) but can never find...very rare & people NEVER sell them. As time goes on, even harder to find any at all...

Any ideas on how to score the "magical" one? Size 16-17" small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Finished the paint job, turned out better than I expected

Before

After
    Nice color. Are you putting decals back on it? If so, what color?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No decals, the frame will go for the official paint job just after New Years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No decals, the frame will go for the official paint job just after New Years.
    Official paint job? I thought you already had it painted.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredr
    You have great taste! Very nice looking stuff!

Is your Bontrager the old school "magical" one? The one that achieved mythical status?

It looks like the one that had the perfect ride feel, tubing kind & size, geometry angles etc.?
    Widely regarded as the BEST steel hardtail EVER made...

I think that's the one I've been looking for (for about 5 years) but can never find...very rare & people NEVER sell them. As time goes on, even harder to find any at all...
    Yup!

I bought it in the Summer of '92 and it is a '92 OR Race Lite model. Arguably the best year for the Bontrager.

It was dying a slow death in my garage, but this buildup will be it's rebirth!

mtbr member
    what are the bosses on the chainstay for? near the bb.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    what are the bosses on the chainstay for? near the bb.
    Bontrager frames came with their own anti-chain-suck device and that is the mounting point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Skip,

The official paint job will be done by a local auto body shop, but they couldn't fit me in until after the new year. So I decided to rattle-can the bike just for fun. The future paint job will be a brighter blue, still no stickers