Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 83
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470

    Custom Chris King Headset on Stumpy

    Just wanted to show off my new custom Chris King headset. No, it doesn't look like anything different fromt the stock headsets. However, if you read my previous thread concerning my CK problems you will understand. Basically the 33.9 diameter headsets do not fit well in 07 Stumpy frames in that my cups moved slightly after riding. After much discussion with Specialized and Chris King I determined the Stumpy headtube diameter is 34.1 so a custom Chris King cup is needed so the headset will fit properly. Those who are running CK headsets should keep an eye on their cups to make sure they aren't moving otherwise you could ovalize your headtube...bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,342
    Damnit, I think I'm going to have to go that route...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kcavtca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    312
    Woooow. So I just built my '07 SX Trail (bought as frame), and built using a standard King headset off my old 5-Spot. I saw a comment like yours a few months ago about Specialized using a different sizing standard. I replied with sort of a WTF you talkin' about, and no one else chimed in. Now I hear this. I haven't had any problems, so hopefully for my sake its only with the Stumpy's. Now hearing it again, I still have to ask - WTF, and How TF did this happen in our world of uber standards? I mean really. I think an explanation is in order from Specialized.

    PS - amongst this bashing, I may as well make my official, and first, declaration that my SX Trail rules over my old 5-Spot in every discipline. I've only got a few hours on it so far, but wow...with a Talas 36 on front for adjustability, and some propedal adjustments on the climbs - this thing is the best frame going on the trails today. For the record I had a Pike 454 on the front of the 5-Spot, and it was great...all the other parts are swapped over. So for a couple of extra pounds I got 2x the bike is how I see it.
    My headset better not get in the way of my now perfect fun...........((

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    305
    DId you install the headset yourself? Did it seem to press in a little too easily? I ask because it would be nice to know right away if my frame is affected rather than having to install it then just wait untill my headtube ovalizes. I'll be installing the headset myself, so Im wonding if there is anything to look out for....

    Also, I am REALLY trying to keep up a certain color scheme for my bike. Did you have to choose from "stock" colors? Or did Chris King say they will do any color for you? I gotta have my gold headset.....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,342
    Nope, theyre only doing black or silver... I know, there go my matching green hubs

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nebula8080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Just wanted to show off my new custom Chris King headset. No, it doesn't look like anything different fromt the stock headsets. However, if you read my previous thread concerning my CK problems you will understand. Basically the 33.9 diameter headsets do not fit well in 07 Stumpy frames in that my cups moved slightly after riding. After much discussion with Specialized and Chris King I determined the Stumpy headtube diameter is 34.1 so a custom Chris King cup is needed so the headset will fit properly. Those who are running CK headsets should keep an eye on their cups to make sure they aren't moving otherwise you could ovalize your headtube...bad.
    Didnt you also mention that not EVERY frame was affected by the problem? I have an '07 stumpy pro frame that I built up custom and (to date) I havent noticed my CK headset loose. After I read your previous post I tore down my front and the headset *seemed* pressed in tight.

    Anyway -- so how did you get the headset? Did you just call up CK and ask for the custom stumpy headset?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    -No I didn't install it myself in that I don't have the expensive press kit made by CK to ensure proper installation

    -The original headset seemed to go in just fine it was only after a few rides that I noticed the cups had shifted a SLIGHT bit. But still I would rather err on side of caution considering frame ovalization

    -I am not a Specialized rep,wish I was, so I dunno if every frame will have a problem. I would just make sure to keep an eye on those cups

    -I had to go through my LBS to get the cups in that they measure the crap out of my stock headset to make sure the oversized headset would fit. Can't call CK and ask for custom anything in that you have to go through a lbs to get anything. They took my old headset, took out the bearing assembly and put it in the custom cups.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83

    Ah

    Ah, SAME problem. New 07 Pro frame and a new King headset with the cups going in with easy pressure.

    Bike shop have put in some green locking (expensive?) adhesive and have a promise from the Specialized rep if it does go wrong.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nebula8080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by hora
    Ah, SAME problem. New 07 Pro frame and a new King headset with the cups going in with easy pressure.

    Bike shop have put in some green locking (expensive?) adhesive and have a promise from the Specialized rep if it does go wrong.
    Since I was going to be out of town for a week I dropped of my '07 pro frame off @ the LBS before I left to have them investigate it more...sure enough it needed a larger cup size which they ordered from CK. Annoying to say the least...I havent heard yet if this was a "by design" or a mistake on specialized's part. Hopefully I'll be getting my bike back today/tomorrow and I should know more then.

    The "green locking adhesive" seems scary...might want to just have your LBS order you new cups from CK to be safe.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    For the custom h/set how much more are we talking interms of price?

    Thing is, its abit 'carcrash' as I already bought the new King and the LBS is Peatys ex-mechanic who thinks (I trust him) on the green-stuff. He said its 120 for a tub of this stuff so hopefully it should work (I paid him a couple of quid to sort it with the green-stuff).

    If I was a bystander to all this, beleive me I wouldnt beleive the above would work though.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    Ante, are you reading this thread? ;o)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    hmm, correct me if im wrong, but aren't Specialized bike uses internal headset?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    wheelnot, on certain frames yes but mainly the carbon versions. The Stumpy FSR (non-carbon):
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22221

    (click on "Technical Specifications")

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    thanks, I wonder why carbon got no headset

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,252

    old Air Force trick

    im gonna put a glob of locktite in the seam between the headset and headtube. once it fdries it cracks easily if it shifts due to any movement from the headset. this will indicate if i have movement, if i do, im freaking out and changing it out. do they "upgrade" the cups for unsuspecting victims of WTF?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    LOCKTITE IS NOT THE ANSWER!! If a headset does not fit, it will ovalize your headtube leaving your with a worthless frame. You all need to make sure you keep the correct sized headset otherwise you could be heading for trouble. One must go through a LBS to get the custom headset and make sure they measure it correctly. My custom headset does not move and fits perfectly.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,252
    some of us are obviously not having troubles with our headsets. the locktite is not to hold it in place, it is to indicate if there is actually a problem. if you dont like it use wax or something that will break and indicate movement. do i have to show a pic? my shop says mine is correct, but if it moves i want to know. so in some cases locktite is an answer, to the question "how do i know if there is a problem?" ill just leave my 2 cents out. you all have the answers already.

  18. #18
    I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Reputation: RYAN E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    742
    I talked to the tech guys at Specialized last week.They said any 2003-and newer model bike has the 34.0mm HT diameter. Then I called CK and they reasured me that Specilaized use's 34.00mm not 34.1mm.I then ordered several of them for my shop at the same price . It just takes them a couple more days to make.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Student Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I talked to the tech guys at Specialized last week.They said any 2003-and newer model bike has the 34.0mm HT diameter. Then I called CK and they reasured me that Specilaized use's 34.00mm not 34.1mm.I then ordered several of them for my shop at the same price . It just takes them a couple more days to make.
    Wow, a real answer to this? Are they only doing the black and silver colors?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    Yes only in those colors because they are custom made in some cases or in others they are oversized.

  21. #21
    I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Reputation: RYAN E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Wow, a real answer to this? Are they only doing the black and silver colors?
    I dont know if they come in any colors besides black and silver.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,342
    King told me only black and silver

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nebula8080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I talked to the tech guys at Specialized last week.They said any 2003-and newer model bike has the 34.0mm HT diameter. Then I called CK and they reasured me that Specilaized use's 34.00mm not 34.1mm.I then ordered several of them for my shop at the same price . It just takes them a couple more days to make.
    I finally got my bike back from the shop today and my LBS told me the same thing about 2003 and up have the large diameter (which I was REALLY surprised to hear).

    Just an an FYI for others who want to get the correct size for your Spec. bikes it does take a bit of time to get in the CK headsets as they (at least for now) are only making them on a per order basis. For me the turn around was over 2 weeks.

    Fairly annoying.....but at least I can hit the trails a bit harder and not worry about destroying my frame.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Micnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    LOCKTITE IS NOT THE ANSWER!! If a headset does not fit, it will ovalize your headtube leaving your with a worthless frame. You all need to make sure you keep the correct sized headset otherwise you could be heading for trouble. One must go through a LBS to get the custom headset and make sure they measure it correctly. My custom headset does not move and fits perfectly.
    SORRY BUT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CHIME IN HERE. THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREEN LOCTITE. ONE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS APPLICATION AND ONE IS NOT. THE GREEN " PENETRATING" LOCTITE IS NOT RECOMMENDED. THE GREEN "609" WOULD BE THE PROPER TYPE TO USE. HERE IS A USEFUL LINK.

    http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/609-EN.pdf

    TO BE HONEST I DON'T BELIEVE HALF OF 1% OF ANYTHING I READ IN HERE BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS HERESAY AND OPINION. I'VE WORKED AS AN AUTOMECHANIC FOR 20 YEARS AND THE LOAD FORCES ARE MUCH HIGHER ON A CAR THAN A BIKE. SO MY "OPINION" COMES FROM WORKING KNOWLEDGE NOT GUESSING.

    HOPE THIS HELPS. LATER....
    Rosa Parks has just been hit with a piece of chicken.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Micnap
    SORRY BUT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CHIME IN HERE. THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREEN LOCTITE. ONE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS APPLICATION AND ONE IS NOT. THE GREEN " PENETRATING" LOCTITE IS NOT RECOMMENDED. THE GREEN "609" WOULD BE THE PROPER TYPE TO USE. HERE IS A USEFUL LINK.

    http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/609-EN.pdf

    TO BE HONEST I DON'T BELIEVE HALF OF 1% OF ANYTHING I READ IN HERE BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS HERESAY AND OPINION. I'VE WORKED AS AN AUTOMECHANIC FOR 20 YEARS AND THE LOAD FORCES ARE MUCH HIGHER ON A CAR THAN A BIKE. SO MY "OPINION" COMES FROM WORKING KNOWLEDGE NOT GUESSING.

    HOPE THIS HELPS. LATER....
    umm...I have been working for Oliver's Cycle Sports here in Tampa Florida for 6 years. As far as I know bike mechanics and auto mechanics are quite different things. Fixing a problem by gluing it in place is going to damage a frame not fix the problem.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by nebula8080
    I finally got my bike back from the shop today and my LBS told me the same thing about 2003 and up have the large diameter (which I was REALLY surprised to hear).

    Just an an FYI for others who want to get the correct size for your Spec. bikes it does take a bit of time to get in the CK headsets as they (at least for now) are only making them on a per order basis. For me the turn around was over 2 weeks.

    Fairly annoying.....but at least I can hit the trails a bit harder and not worry about destroying my frame.
    Sorry to kill an old thread, but why is this a problem with only Chris King headsets? If the diameter of the headtube in a Specialized bike is truly 34mm then wouldn't it affect all headsets, not just Chris King

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    YES....all headsets beside the one that came stock with the bike are affected. Keep an eye on your cups.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StumpyinTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    76
    Old thread, but still good info.

    I put a CK headset on my bike earlier this year, before I saw any info on the headtube being a bigger size. Without removing the CK and measuring the tube, I measure the Cane Creek that came on the bike, and it was ~34.1mm. I haven't seen the CK moving, but this has me worried. Should I mark the bike and the headset and keep checking them to make sure they are lined up? I'm guessing if they stay lined up, then I won't have have an issue. If the Specialized frames use a slightly bigger headset, then that means that Cane Creek, and other companies that supply headsets for them, would have known about this and the info should have been out for awhile now, correct?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    I would really watch the labels. I lined them up perfectly three times and after a week of riding they would be misaligned. If that happens you should def get the custom cups. I am not the only one with this issue but many just left the stock headsets in there. Not sure on the status of their headtubes now but wouldn't be suprised if they were ovalized. If you call CK and go through a dealer they will make you a custom cupset for 50 bucks.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    181
    If you still have the old headset Id swap it out ASAP. The bottom line is the CK cups are too small and you run the real risk of ruining the CK cups or ovalizing the headtube. You can go through CK directly to get the new cups

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: motard5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    254
    just to clarify, anyone with a stock Cane Creek headset on a Stumpjumper FSR or otherwise should get new cups for their headset?

    If this was the case on '07's, would this not be a recall or warranty issue with Specialzed that they would have dealt with?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    just to clarify, anyone with a stock Cane Creek headset on a Stumpjumper FSR or otherwise should get new cups for their headset?

    If this was the case on '07's, would this not be a recall or warranty issue with Specialzed that they would have dealt with?
    There is nothing wrong with the stock headset on a Stumpy FSR. The issue is "upgrading" to a Chris King

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    399
    So if CK's are 33.9 what are other head set measurements? Are Cane CreeK, Race Face, FSA, Hopeand others larger the CK?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    So if CK's are 33.9 what are other head set measurements? Are Cane CreeK, Race Face, FSA, Hopeand others larger the CK?
    Not sure, but it's an answer you would want to know before installing an after market headset. Check out the MTBR Stumpjumper Pro reviews for a nightmare story on the problem. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_128556.shtml

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    all headset cups EXCEPT the stock stumpy headset are 33.9. The Stumpjumper is 34.1.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    all headset cups EXCEPT the stock stumpy headset are 33.9. The Stumpjumper is 34.1.
    Actually, the standard headset is 34.0 to accommodate a headtube bore of 33.9. The Stumpy bore is 34.0 requiring a 34.1 headset cup. This gives an ideal .1 press fit.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Can someone point me to some eshop or at least to some info where I can get the custom oversized cups for my Stumpjumper? Thanks

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470
    You should call the Chis King hq and get info from them in terms of which shop you should go through.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    I've sent them an email and got a list of eshops doing the international delivery, I need to get it into the Europe. But I cannot find the oversized cups there only the standard size headsets which I already have.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Not to be the bearer of bad news, but why get a CK headset at all? Later in life they are known to creak badly. Check the Turner forums. A lot of those guys are switching to CaneCreek headsets. Besides, if you are looking for the bling factor, check this:
    Cane Creek 110 - xpost from Turner

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cooleymtnbiker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    470

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by tomzz
    I've sent them an email and got a list of eshops doing the international delivery, I need to get it into the Europe. But I cannot find the oversized cups there only the standard size headsets which I already have.
    You need to contact CK hq on the phone. They are EXTREMELY nice and eacy to work with. They will give you the info you need in terms of which shop to go to and how to get it. Should be around $50 US currency.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by tomzz
    Can someone point me to some eshop or at least to some info where I can get the custom oversized cups for my Stumpjumper? Thanks
    You can just go into your LBS and tell them. I've ordered one, you just have to tell them/King exactly what you want. LBS should be able to take care of it. Otherwise, call Price point or someone big. Cambria, jensens, if you really want to go the mail order route.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Not to be the bearer of bad news, but why get a CK headset at all? Later in life they are known to creak badly. Check the Turner forums. A lot of those guys are switching to CaneCreek headsets. Besides, if you are looking for the bling factor, check this:
    Cane Creek 110 - xpost from Turner
    Nice looking headsets. The question is, do they make them in a special size?

  44. #44
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Not to be the bearer of bad news, but why get a CK headset at all? Later in life they are known to creak badly. Check the Turner forums. A lot of those guys are switching to CaneCreek headsets. Besides, if you are looking for the bling factor, check this:
    Cane Creek 110 - xpost from Turner
    Really? I've heard of a couple with a creaking issue due to improper install. King stuff is way expensive, but high on the bling scale too.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Student Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,246
    LOL! Well, with respect to Cane Creek I sent them an email and you'll love this:

    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Will you be making this headset for the 34.0mm head tube on Specialized mountain bikes? I have a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR and I know that it uses this 34.0mm interface and not the standard 33.9mm size. Will you guys be making cups to fit this? Thanks.
    And, I got this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug McCormac [email]DougMac@canecreek.com[/email]
    Peter:

    Is this guy nuts?

    Doug
    Now, I don't know who "Peter" is but I take it he hit "reply" rather than "forward" in his email client. I pointed this out and await his response.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

  46. #46
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,759
    Did you send Doug a link to this thread?? I'm probably going to stick with the HS that came stock on the bike, but it would be nice to have an option.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Student Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,246
    Yep. I wrote to him that all the "lunatics" are here with this problem. If you like, why don't you shoot him an email reminding him to check the thread out? I thought that making the stock headset would entitle them to know the dimension of our frame's head tube. I guess he didn't get the memo...
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Just to be sure, the Stumpjumper head tube internal diameter is 34.0mm, so the 0.1 mm oversize cups (34.1mm) are needed, right?
    Also is there any instruction how to change the bearing into the oversize caps?
    Thanks

  49. #49
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,759
    I would think they use the same sealed bearing as in a standard size. They just mill the external side of the cup to a different, larger, diameter.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

  50. #50
    I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Reputation: RYAN E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by tomzz
    Just to be sure, the Stumpjumper head tube internal diameter is 34.0mm, so the 0.1 mm oversize cups (34.1mm) are needed, right?
    Also is there any instruction how to change the bearing into the oversize caps?
    Thanks
    Specialized uses the 34.0 HT. Chris King's are 33.9. You want to get the oversized 34.0 King not a 34.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •