Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Custom Chris King Headset on Stumpy

Just wanted to show off my new custom Chris King headset. No, it doesn't look like anything different fromt the stock headsets. However, if you read my previous thread concerning my CK problems you will understand. Basically the 33.9 diameter headsets do not fit well in 07 Stumpy frames in that my cups moved slightly after riding. After much discussion with Specialized and Chris King I determined the Stumpy headtube diameter is 34.1 so a custom Chris King cup is needed so the headset will fit properly. Those who are running CK headsets should keep an eye on their cups to make sure they aren't moving otherwise you could ovalize your headtube...bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Damnit, I think I'm going to have to go that route...

mtbr member
    Woooow. So I just built my '07 SX Trail (bought as frame), and built using a standard King headset off my old 5-Spot. I saw a comment like yours a few months ago about Specialized using a different sizing standard. I replied with sort of a WTF you talkin' about, and no one else chimed in. Now I hear this. I haven't had any problems, so hopefully for my sake its only with the Stumpy's. Now hearing it again, I still have to ask - WTF, and How TF did this happen in our world of uber standards? I mean really. I think an explanation is in order from Specialized.

PS - amongst this bashing, I may as well make my official, and first, declaration that my SX Trail rules over my old 5-Spot in every discipline. I've only got a few hours on it so far, but wow...with a Talas 36 on front for adjustability, and some propedal adjustments on the climbs - this thing is the best frame going on the trails today. For the record I had a Pike 454 on the front of the 5-Spot, and it was great...all the other parts are swapped over. So for a couple of extra pounds I got 2x the bike is how I see it.
    My headset better not get in the way of my now perfect fun...........((

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    DId you install the headset yourself? Did it seem to press in a little too easily? I ask because it would be nice to know right away if my frame is affected rather than having to install it then just wait untill my headtube ovalizes. I'll be installing the headset myself, so Im wonding if there is anything to look out for....

Also, I am REALLY trying to keep up a certain color scheme for my bike. Did you have to choose from "stock" colors? Or did Chris King say they will do any color for you? I gotta have my gold headset.....

mtbr member
    Nope, theyre only doing black or silver... I know, there go my matching green hubs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Just wanted to show off my new custom Chris King headset. No, it doesn't look like anything different fromt the stock headsets. However, if you read my previous thread concerning my CK problems you will understand. Basically the 33.9 diameter headsets do not fit well in 07 Stumpy frames in that my cups moved slightly after riding. After much discussion with Specialized and Chris King I determined the Stumpy headtube diameter is 34.1 so a custom Chris King cup is needed so the headset will fit properly. Those who are running CK headsets should keep an eye on their cups to make sure they aren't moving otherwise you could ovalize your headtube...bad.
    Didnt you also mention that not EVERY frame was affected by the problem? I have an '07 stumpy pro frame that I built up custom and (to date) I havent noticed my CK headset loose. After I read your previous post I tore down my front and the headset *seemed* pressed in tight.

Anyway -- so how did you get the headset? Did you just call up CK and ask for the custom stumpy headset?

mtbr member
    -No I didn't install it myself in that I don't have the expensive press kit made by CK to ensure proper installation

-The original headset seemed to go in just fine it was only after a few rides that I noticed the cups had shifted a SLIGHT bit. But still I would rather err on side of caution considering frame ovalization

-I am not a Specialized rep,wish I was, so I dunno if every frame will have a problem. I would just make sure to keep an eye on those cups

-I had to go through my LBS to get the cups in that they measure the crap out of my stock headset to make sure the oversized headset would fit. Can't call CK and ask for custom anything in that you have to go through a lbs to get anything. They took my old headset, took out the bearing assembly and put it in the custom cups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ah

Ah, SAME problem. New 07 Pro frame and a new King headset with the cups going in with easy pressure.

Bike shop have put in some green locking (expensive?) adhesive and have a promise from the Specialized rep if it does go wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hora
    Ah, SAME problem. New 07 Pro frame and a new King headset with the cups going in with easy pressure.

Bike shop have put in some green locking (expensive?) adhesive and have a promise from the Specialized rep if it does go wrong.
    Since I was going to be out of town for a week I dropped of my '07 pro frame off @ the LBS before I left to have them investigate it more...sure enough it needed a larger cup size which they ordered from CK. Annoying to say the least...I havent heard yet if this was a "by design" or a mistake on specialized's part. Hopefully I'll be getting my bike back today/tomorrow and I should know more then.

The "green locking adhesive" seems scary...might want to just have your LBS order you new cups from CK to be safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For the custom h/set how much more are we talking interms of price?

Thing is, its abit 'carcrash' as I already bought the new King and the LBS is Peatys ex-mechanic who thinks (I trust him) on the green-stuff. He said its 120 for a tub of this stuff so hopefully it should work (I paid him a couple of quid to sort it with the green-stuff).

If I was a bystander to all this, beleive me I wouldnt beleive the above would work though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ante, are you reading this thread? ;o)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, correct me if im wrong, but aren't Specialized bike uses internal headset?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    wheelnot, on certain frames yes but mainly the carbon versions. The Stumpy FSR (non-carbon):
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22221

(click on "Technical Specifications")

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks, I wonder why carbon got no headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

old Air Force trick

im gonna put a glob of locktite in the seam between the headset and headtube. once it fdries it cracks easily if it shifts due to any movement from the headset. this will indicate if i have movement, if i do, im freaking out and changing it out. do they "upgrade" the cups for unsuspecting victims of WTF?

mtbr member
    LOCKTITE IS NOT THE ANSWER!! If a headset does not fit, it will ovalize your headtube leaving your with a worthless frame. You all need to make sure you keep the correct sized headset otherwise you could be heading for trouble. One must go through a LBS to get the custom headset and make sure they measure it correctly. My custom headset does not move and fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    some of us are obviously not having troubles with our headsets. the locktite is not to hold it in place, it is to indicate if there is actually a problem. if you dont like it use wax or something that will break and indicate movement. do i have to show a pic? my shop says mine is correct, but if it moves i want to know. so in some cases locktite is an answer, to the question "how do i know if there is a problem?" ill just leave my 2 cents out. you all have the answers already.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    I talked to the tech guys at Specialized last week.They said any 2003-and newer model bike has the 34.0mm HT diameter. Then I called CK and they reasured me that Specilaized use's 34.00mm not 34.1mm.I then ordered several of them for my shop at the same price . It just takes them a couple more days to make.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I talked to the tech guys at Specialized last week.They said any 2003-and newer model bike has the 34.0mm HT diameter. Then I called CK and they reasured me that Specilaized use's 34.00mm not 34.1mm.I then ordered several of them for my shop at the same price . It just takes them a couple more days to make.
    Wow, a real answer to this? Are they only doing the black and silver colors?

mtbr member
    Yes only in those colors because they are custom made in some cases or in others they are oversized.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Wow, a real answer to this? Are they only doing the black and silver colors?
    I dont know if they come in any colors besides black and silver.

mtbr member
    King told me only black and silver

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I finally got my bike back from the shop today and my LBS told me the same thing about 2003 and up have the large diameter (which I was REALLY surprised to hear).

Just an an FYI for others who want to get the correct size for your Spec. bikes it does take a bit of time to get in the CK headsets as they (at least for now) are only making them on a per order basis. For me the turn around was over 2 weeks.

Fairly annoying.....but at least I can hit the trails a bit harder and not worry about destroying my frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    LOCKTITE IS NOT THE ANSWER!! If a headset does not fit, it will ovalize your headtube leaving your with a worthless frame. You all need to make sure you keep the correct sized headset otherwise you could be heading for trouble. One must go through a LBS to get the custom headset and make sure they measure it correctly. My custom headset does not move and fits perfectly.
    SORRY BUT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CHIME IN HERE. THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREEN LOCTITE. ONE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS APPLICATION AND ONE IS NOT. THE GREEN " PENETRATING" LOCTITE IS NOT RECOMMENDED. THE GREEN "609" WOULD BE THE PROPER TYPE TO USE. HERE IS A USEFUL LINK.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/609-EN.pdf

TO BE HONEST I DON'T BELIEVE HALF OF 1% OF ANYTHING I READ IN HERE BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS HERESAY AND OPINION. I'VE WORKED AS AN AUTOMECHANIC FOR 20 YEARS AND THE LOAD FORCES ARE MUCH HIGHER ON A CAR THAN A BIKE. SO MY "OPINION" COMES FROM WORKING KNOWLEDGE NOT GUESSING.

HOPE THIS HELPS. LATER....
    Rosa Parks has just been hit with a piece of chicken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micnap
    SORRY BUT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CHIME IN HERE. THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREEN LOCTITE. ONE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS APPLICATION AND ONE IS NOT. THE GREEN " PENETRATING" LOCTITE IS NOT RECOMMENDED. THE GREEN "609" WOULD BE THE PROPER TYPE TO USE. HERE IS A USEFUL LINK.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/609-EN.pdf

TO BE HONEST I DON'T BELIEVE HALF OF 1% OF ANYTHING I READ IN HERE BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS HERESAY AND OPINION. I'VE WORKED AS AN AUTOMECHANIC FOR 20 YEARS AND THE LOAD FORCES ARE MUCH HIGHER ON A CAR THAN A BIKE. SO MY "OPINION" COMES FROM WORKING KNOWLEDGE NOT GUESSING.

HOPE THIS HELPS. LATER....
    umm...I have been working for Oliver's Cycle Sports here in Tampa Florida for 6 years. As far as I know bike mechanics and auto mechanics are quite different things. Fixing a problem by gluing it in place is going to damage a frame not fix the problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast