Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)

The 2015 orange beast below is now waiting in the store to be custom built with s-works parts. I've been dying to experience the Epic World Cup geometry. Just 2 days until she's ready to ride.

Once finished this will be the spec:

S-Works Carbon Bar
    Syntace -16 degree 90mm stem
    S-Works Seatpost
    Selle Italia Superflow
    2013 S-Works Crank w' 34 Wolftooth ring
    XTR Race brakes
    Roval Control SL
    2013 Rockshox SID World Cup w Brain, Carbon steerer
    XTR pedals
    ESI Chunky grips
    The X01 shifting will stay as is.

I'll post the weight once it's all build up, I pick it up on Friday. I'm deciding between running Fast Traks, the 2.3" Renegades, or Schwalbe rubber...

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-epic_expert_wc_2015.jpg

**EDIT**

The complete bike weighs 10.29kg (22.7lb?) with XTR pedals, 2 bottle cages, and the SWAT tool. I'm happy with that!

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-epic-wc-weight.jpg

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-epic_wc-smly.jpg
    Last edited by jathanas; 07-31-2014 at 11:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    you do know the s-works seat post is 270g?
    but i have the same post stunning and the phenom pro saddle i love it wish i could afford the x01 and carbon rovals non sl
    great bike

mtbr member
    Wow,nice color,what market is that ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice,
    I'm on the waiting list with my dealer for this bike but I'm taking whatever color they can get me sooner.

Question: I've seen some literature stating that the seatpost diameter is 30.9 for this bike. I'm pretty sure that is what the dealer book says also. I was happy to see this because I could take my Thomson Masterpiece off my 2011 epic expert evo and use that. However, I've also been seeing specs for other 2015 Epic's (Sworks) and it says it's still the 27.2.

Can you confirm what size it actually is. Seems like it would stay exactly the same as 2014 (27.2) but what do I know.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Wow,nice color,what market is that ?
    Australia. Thanks mate, it's my fave colour.

Quote Originally Posted by stully05 View Post
    Nice,
    I'm on the waiting list with my dealer for this bike but I'm taking whatever color they can get me sooner.

Question: I've seen some literature stating that the seatpost diameter is 30.9 for this bike. I'm pretty sure that is what the dealer book says also. I was happy to see this because I could take my Thomson Masterpiece off my 2011 epic expert evo and use that. However, I've also been seeing specs for other 2015 Epic's (Sworks) and it says it's still the 27.2.

Can you confirm what size it actually is. Seems like it would stay exactly the same as 2014 (27.2) but what do I know.

Thanks
    Pretty sure that it's 27.2. I'll confirm tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    but i have the same post stunning and the phenom pro saddle i love it wish i could afford the x01 and carbon rovals non sl
    great bike
    I think 270gm is not the weight of the 27.2 diameter but the 30.9 one. I agree that was a pig!

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's a 27.2mm post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for confirming that seatpost size. It is what I was suspecting after seeing other models listed with 27.2. Typo on Specialized part. Its funny that I posted on this today as my shop just called me today and said they have both colors in the Specialized warehouse. I ended up chosing the black one. Should be ready to go by the end of next week.

Now I'm debating what to do about wheelsets. On my current 2011 Epic Expert Evo R, I'm running the older model (red and black with the red spokes) version Control SL. That wheelset claims a 1450 gram weight and the Carbon Control that comes stock on the Epic WC is at 1580 grams.

I'm selling my 2011 and will sell that bike with the stock wheels (aluminum). Should I sell both carbon wheelsets and get the newer control sl's. The weight on those is listed at 1370. The advantage I see over my current Control Sl's is the weight, about 100 grams. Second is the apparent increase in strength due to no bead hook. Also I believe the internal rim width is 1 mm wider. Up to 22 with the new set.

If anyone is interested in either set or my 2011 bike, let me know!

mtbr member

2015 Epic Expert World Cup

The only thing to consider with the older 2011 Roval Control SL wheels is whether you have the 15mm thru axle end caps to fit them on the new bike. Apart from that I'd keep them if they're in good condition. You can fit a XD driver body to the rear hub for using a XX1 cassette.

The 27.2mm diameter seatpost that I really like the look of is the new Cannondale Save 2 seatpost that comes on the 2015 Cannondale F-Si bikes.

It's basically a Thomson Elite layback seatpost with a secure 2 bolt head but made from carbon fibre with built in flex. It looks awesome.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/30/...es-everything/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fortunately I do have the 15mm end caps for my current wheelset.

Does anyone know if the driver body for the new wheelset will be compatable for my older control sl rear hub. Both are DT hubs.

mtbr member

2015 Epic Expert World Cup

If it's a 142x12mm Roval rear wheel (standard retail version) then you can just fit the DT Swiss XD driver body and endcap.

If it's a 142+ rear hub (Specialized version for their own frames) you'd want to get a 142+ endcap to keep the spacing correct. Probably easiest to have your LBS order an 142+ endcap and XD driver body from Specialized. See picture of the 142+ endcap here:

XX1 on a 142+ rear hub - which cassette body?

If you are thinking of doing XX1 on a 142+...

There was a really detailed forum thread on here a few months ago about this. Found it.

XX1 142+ free hub body

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for confirming that seatpost size. It is what I was suspecting after seeing other models listed with 27.2. Typo on Specialized part. Its funny that I posted on this today as my shop just called me today and said they have both colors in the Specialized warehouse. I ended up chosing the black one. Should be ready to go by the end of next week.

Now I'm debating what to do about wheelsets. On my current 2011 Epic Expert Evo R, I'm running the older model (red and black with the red spokes) version Control SL. That wheelset claims a 1450 gram weight and the Carbon Control that comes stock on the Epic WC is at 1580 grams.

I'm selling my 2011 and will sell that bike with the stock wheels (aluminum). Should I sell both carbon wheelsets and get the newer control sl's. The weight on those is listed at 1370. The advantage I see over my current Control Sl's is the weight, about 100 grams. Second is the apparent increase in strength due to no bead hook. Also I believe the internal rim width is 1 mm wider. Up to 22 with the new set.

If anyone is interested in either set or my 2011 bike, let me know!
    I had the same thoughts as you and decided to stick with the 2013 Roval Control SLs I owned. They are strong and wide enough and in my case ready for the 15 thru-axle.

The latest hook-less bead innovation is solid but I've never had any issues with the prior model either, great wheelset!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Weight

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    great bike
    weight on my 2014 S-Works was 225 g; switched it to a lightger one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    The 2015 orange beast below is now waiting in the store to be custom built with s-works parts. I've been dying to experience the Epic World Cup geometry. Just 2 days until she's ready to ride.

Once finished this will be the spec:

S-Works Carbon Bar
    Syntace -16 degree 90mm stem
    S-Works Seatpost
    Selle Italia Superflow
    2013 S-Works Crank w' 34 Wolftooth ring
    XTR Race brakes
    Roval Control SL
    2013 Rockshox SID World Cup w Brain, Carbon steerer
    XTR pedals
    ESI Chunky grips
    The X01 shifting will stay as is.

I'll post the weight once it's all build up, I pick it up on Friday. I'm deciding between running Fast Traks, the 2.3" Renegades, or Schwalbe rubber...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epic_Expert_WC_2015.jpg 
Views:	3659 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	911955
    Nice build. Regarding tires, I suggest you consider a 2.1 Ground Control up front and a 2.0 Fast Trak in back. I have recently gone to that combo and love it.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ View Post
    Nice build. Regarding tires, I suggest you consider a 2.1 Ground Control up front and a 2.0 Fast Trak in back. I have recently gone to that combo and love it.
    Thanks mate. I think I might give them a go, especially given it's winter in Melbourne and that the GC will do better on our wet trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    J
    You're going to love it. Just put my thoughts on the WC review thread. Great colour too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    New pics and weight in the OP.

mtbr member
    It's a nice bike but that indoor picture is a bit blurry.

Did you swap the decals across from the stock fork that came with the bike onto your 2013 fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    It's a nice bike but that indoor picture is a bit blurry.

Did you swap the decals across from the stock fork that came with the bike onto your 2013 fork?
    Sorry about the crappy pic. Promise to post better. With the forks we just swapped the lowers. I'd converted my 2013 sworks to 15mm so it was plug and play!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My bike arrived at the shop on Friday. Will take her home in the next couple days. For those of you who rode an older version epic and now a wc version, is it really a noticeable difference or are you running worn out suspension bits on your old bike. I bring this up because I just had my front and rear brain serviced about one week ago. What a huge difference. My 2011 epic expert evo feels unbelievable again. Now I'm wondering if the 2015 wc will be noticeably different?
    I'm happy to get the new bike and there are a few reasons why I got it, but when people say their new wc version is so great, I'm wondering if they are coming from a bike that needed suspension rebuilds.

mtbr member
    My bike arrived at the shop on Friday. Will take her home in the next couple days. For those of you who rode an older version epic and now a wc version, is it really a noticeable difference or are you running worn out suspension bits on your old bike. I bring this up because I just had my front and rear brain serviced about one week ago. What a huge difference. My 2011 epic expert evo feels unbelievable again. Now I'm wondering if the 2015 wc will be noticeably different?
    I'm happy to get the new bike and there are a few reasons why I got it, but when people say their new wc version is so great, I'm wondering if they are coming from a bike that needed suspension rebuilds.
    The suspesnion is completely different. The Brain has new internals, the suspension has different dampening characteristics and the hurst link, chain/seat stays all have different geometry which changes the leverage ratio in the shock.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkinho View Post
    weight on my 2014 S-Works was 225 g; switched it to a lightger one!
    Can I ask what post you went for and what it weighs. I needs seatpost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well I've had a couple of short rides now and I can tell you that the geometry changes to the frame are felt as much if not more than the changes to the damping. The suspension changes are very impressive. I can pretty much run the bike 100% locked out all the time now ( F & B), which I couldn't before as the front would bounce all over the place. So yes, the suspension is different.

The turn-in is magnificently sharp and together with how much easier it is to lift the front the bike becomes razor sharp. It's so much more "flickable" than the 2013 Epic I had and handling wise is the dually I've been praying for. Less trail bike and 100% race bike.

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    Can I ask what post you went for and what it weighs. I needs seatpost.
    Pete, If I did not already own the S-Works post I'd invest in a Syntace or a new Cannondale Save post. Both are supremely comfortable, and light enough. Forget the 20 or 30 grams you'd save with a weight weenie job and go for something that your butt will be thanking you for.

mtbr member

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)

I've got a Ritchey WCS Flexlogic seatpost on my Epic (30.9mm diameter). For comfort by taking out trail buzz it works well.

It also has some layback and the two bolt mounting has been secure without the saddle slipping.

http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatpos...-seatpost.html

You can get the same Ritchey WCS Flexlogic seatpost in a 27.2mm diameter also, which would fit your Epic WC frame. That would be my recommendation.

Edit: Although you can get the 30.9mm diameter post in 400mm length in 27.2mm diameter you can only get 300mm or 350mm lengths. The 350mm length may be a bit short for an Epic WC frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    To get the recommended 100mm in the frame I need a post of 360mm but may just get away with a 350mm. If only a Thomson Masterpiece, which I have used for a few years, came long enough in a 27.2 but it doesn't. It also needs to accept carbon rails. I might try and track down an S Works one and tune it a little although the Save looks to be a decent option. If I got proper weight weenie it might be the KCNC pro lite

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast