Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    The 2015 orange beast below is now waiting in the store to be custom built with s-works parts. I've been dying to experience the Epic World Cup geometry. Just 2 days until she's ready to ride.
    Nice looking bike! Congrats. I am thinking of getting the same bike, but am not sure if I should go WC or not. I am coming from a 26 hardtail, so I guess a WC, being more aggressive than non-WC, will not make that much of a difference to me, since I guess that a 26 hardtail is aggressive already, all other things being equal?

BTW, what size is your bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prutten View Post
    Nice looking bike! Congrats. I am thinking of getting the same bike, but am not sure if I should go WC or not. I am coming from a 26 hardtail, so I guess a WC, being more aggressive than non-WC, will not make that much of a difference to me, since I guess that a 26 hardtail is aggressive already, all other things being equal?

BTW, what size is your bike?
    Thanks mate. My bike is a medium, and I'm 176cm tall.

I think the jump from a 26" to a 29" dually is a large one. I'd certainly consider the transition to the WC geometry as the easier one for you. The standard 29" Epic has always felt a little neutral in its handling. The WC is a much livelier steer. this is my 3rd Epic 29 btw.

mtbr member

Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    To get the recommended 100mm in the frame I need a post of 360mm but may just get away with a 350mm. If only a Thomson Masterpiece, which I have used for a few years, came long enough in a 27.2 but it doesn't. It also needs to accept carbon rails. I might try and track down an S Works one and tune it a little although the Save looks to be a decent option. If I got proper weight weenie it might be the KCNC pro lite
    The Niner RDO seatpost with built in flex comes in a 27.2mm x 400mm length, claimed weight is 210-220g. They're about £190 GBP in the UK and should be a reasonable option.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rdoseatpost

If you're going "proper weight weenie" then a Schmolke TLO seatpost is available in a 27.2mm x 400mm length, claimed weight is 99g. They're €460 Euro / £366.36 GBP at today's exchange rate. As you'd be buying from Germany there's no import duty.

"Just like all other products of our TLO range our seatpost is manufactured to suit your weight and riding style using the best prepregs available in the market. Its head clamps the saddle’s rails on eight points. The alloy parts have chamfered edges, which, together with the large supporting carbon fibre surface, ensures that even fragile carbon rails are not unduly stressed. The 5 mm Ti6Al4V titanium screws are waisted extension bolts, strong enough for mountain bike use even." Schmolke

http://www.schmolke-carbon.com/carbo...ls/stuetlo.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ^Love the Niner post. I'd love a tangerine Rdo cockpit on my steed.

The Schmolke price made me recoil in horror.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks mate. My bike is a medium, and I'm 176cm tall.

I think the jump from a 26" to a 29" dually is a large one. I'd certainly consider the transition to the WC geometry as the easier one for you. The standard 29" Epic has always felt a little neutral in its handling. The WC is a much livelier steer. this is my 3rd Epic 29 btw.
    Thanks for the advice. Talked with my LBS yesterday and he advised me to go with the non-WC, the WC being too aggressive and uncomfortable. So I think I will go with the non-WC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Talked with my LBS yesterday and he advised me to go with the non-WC, the WC being too aggressive and uncomfortable. So I think I will go with the non-WC.
    I wish you had a chance to ride the WC. It would really put your mind at ease. there's nothing uncomfortable about it. It's a lively steer, that's all. For riders that enjoy that character it's a blessing. Now that I've ridden a WC I'd never go back.

mtbr member
    I call BS on your LBS. The WC is not agressive!. Does it handle better? Yes. Is the suspension too firm or harsh? No. People that call the WC aggressive haven't ridden it. I would call the non-WC and pre-2014 Epics "safe" in terms of handling. The WC geometry just makes it feel more like at '26. Do yourself a favor and ride a WC before you place your order. You will not be disappointed. There is ZERO downside to the WC and LOTS of upside.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ View Post
    I call BS on your LBS. The WC is not agressive!. Does it handle better? Yes. Is the suspension too firm or harsh? No. People that call the WC aggressive haven't ridden it. I would call the non-WC and pre-2014 Epics "safe" in terms of handling. The WC geometry just makes it feel more like at '26. Do yourself a favor and ride a WC before you place your order. You will not be disappointed. There is ZERO downside to the WC and LOTS of upside.
    Thanks both jathanas and EPICYZ.

Since it's a small LBS, I don't think I can testride a WC. And he hasn't offered me a testride either (when he gets the new 2015 models).

Only downside for the new WC, is that it only comes in white here in my country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get a Syntace P6 hiflex post to match your stem!

It's the same post as the Niner RDO (syntace makes them for Niner), but with a better cradle. Weight is excellent considering it's 400mm. You can cut it down a touch if you want to save some weight.

Otherwise, Enve is also an option.

mtbr member

There are a few threads of rider reviews of the Epic WC on here, all positive, including over longer endurance race distances. Eg:

2014 Epic World Cup version reviews

2014 EPIC WC Reviews

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I couldn't agree more with the last few posts about the WC. Besides the sharper handling, my SW WC is (by a wide margin) more comfortable than my 12 SW Epic. After riding the WC all summer, when I took the 12 SW out it felt a bit like a Greyhound, and I am not talking about the dog. Come winter, all I will ride is the 12. I'll be hoping for a dry spring to get back on the WC. The WC is a fantastic bike.

I'd also put a plug in for the Suntace P6 Hi-flex, especially if you are using a carbon rail saddle. The lower cradle is super long for great rail support.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Down-under it is easy to get a discount on a standard Epic, not so much on a WC... I know for a fact that Specialized got their forecasts wrong with the WC.

The demand exceeded supply, so they ran out of stock in Australia. That led many retail "experts" to declaring the World Cup as aggressive and twitchy in order to sell the bikes they actually had in stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    There are a few threads of rider reviews of the Epic WC on here, all positive, including over longer endurance race distances. Eg:
    Thanks WR304. I had already read the second link, but hadn't seen the first one.

Most seem to prefer the WC version. What would be really interesting was to hear from riders who'd ridden both from models from the same year. I don't think it's easy to compare a newer WC with an older non-WC.

But riders seems to indicate that they are enthused with the WC, and that no one seems to have regretted their buy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Down-under it is easy to get a discount on a standard Epic, not so much on a WC... I know for a fact that Specialized got their forecasts wrong with the WC.

The demand exceeded supply, so they ran out of stock in Australia. That led many retail "experts" to declaring the World Cup as aggressive and twitchy in order to sell the bikes they actually had in stock.
    I have also suspected my LBS about this. I think my LBS being used to a non-WC model, when going on the WC, the WC is more 'alive', harder to control, more uncomfortable, etc. But I am coming from a 26" cheap hardtail (1500 dollars, three years old), so I think I could do well on the WC. I have also only ridden for 3 years, so maybe I am not technically skilled enough for the WC version.

mtbr member
    I have also suspected my LBS about this. I think my LBS being used to a non-WC model, when going on the WC, the WC is more 'alive', harder to control, more uncomfortable, etc. But I am coming from a 26" cheap hardtail (1500 dollars, three years old), so I think I could do well on the WC. I have also only ridden for 3 years, so maybe I am not technically skilled enough for the WC version.
    You don't have to be anymore or less skilled to ride the WC. Think of it this way....moving to a 29er from a 26 there is a big difference in feel. Some of the difference is good (how 29ers get through roots and rock gardens, how they maintain momentom, etc.). Some of the difference in feel is not so good (like how much slower the turning feel is, how the turning radius in wider, etc.).
    The WC simply will not feel as different as your 26 because it will react and steer more like your 26 while delivering the benefits of the a 29er.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ... I don't think it's easy to compare a newer WC with an older non-WC.

The current non WC has exactly the same geometry and wheelbase as the previous Epic 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The current non WC has exactly the same geometry and wheelbase as the previous Epic 29er.
    Sweet! I get more and more convinced about the WC

My LBS has some friends from whom I can try their WC versions. So thats good news. And I can borrow a non-WC from one of my collegues, so now I can at least make my own judgement of the two geometries.

Thanks again for all the good advice, jathanas and EPICYZ

mtbr member
    Seems like the opposite in the US. When I went to warranty my frame they only had one option in the standard carbon frames but had every color S-works WC in Large to offer me.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    I'd also put a plug in for the Syntace P6 Hi-flex, especially if you are using a carbon rail saddle. The lower cradle is super long for great rail support.
    When I last looked into getting a Syntace P6 Hiflex seatpost (a couple of years ago when they first came out) Syntace didn't have a UK distributor and the P6 Hiflex seatposts themselves were nowhere to be bought.

That seems to have changed now. You can buy them from Wiggle in the UK. £195 GBP with free postage, although the 27.2x400mm length isn't listed.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/syntace-p6-c...flex-seatpost/

The 27.2x400mm length of the P6 Hiflex is in stock and available at Bike24.com. €218 Euro / £172 GBP which isn't a bad price. Shipping to the UK from Germany is €5.95 Euro / £4.71 GBP.

http://www.bike24.com/p222147.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've got a week on my 2015 Expert World Cup (I'm in the US by the way). It's a great bike. Noticeably stiffer - hard to tell if thats from the better rear suspension or the big carbon chain stays - but it feels good. What others are saying about being able to get your front wheel up is true. Much easier to get over obstacles - both at low speed and at high speed. Compared to my 2011 Expert Evo I'm able to truly bunny hop and get the back wheel up and over more obstacles. Probably a combination of better suspension and shorter chainstays.
    Turning in to corners is quicker as well. Seems like its more eager to dive - and not in a bad way at all. Up hill tight switchbacks is much easier as well.
    My size large, egg beater 11's, Thomson x4 stem, Thomson Elite seatpost, Phenom Pro carbon saddle, S Works carbon bar from my 2011 bike, ergon grips, Roval Control SL wheelset with sworks renegade rear and fast trak 2.0 front, both tubeless comes in at 23.5 pounds. About 1 pound lighter than my 2011 expert.
    Overall very happy and will see how I do this weekend at my next race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like a perfect match for you. And the weight is impressively low.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This thread is great! I have the same bike as the OP coming in the mail.
    I LOVE the orange and i'm pumped to build it up and get out on the trail with the new WC geo. I'm coming off of a 2013 Epic Comp Carbon, built up to be 25 lbs on the dot.
    I'm more excited that all the hype about these has not died down at all. Tere continue to be more and more rave reviews!
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had a 2012 S-works (non WC obviously) and didn't like it. Too long of chainstays for my liking.

I really like my 2014 WC S-works though. Great bike. The suspension isn't hash at all. I am running a Fox F29 Terralogic fork on it though, as I'm not a fan of the SID Brain forks. Nice thing is that Fox forks are 5mm shorter in AC length than a SID, so the geometry is completely unchanged

I am considering pick up a 120mm fork for it when I travel out west just for play mode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've ridden both the WC and Non WC.. I do endurance races and after four hours on each bike the only difference I could tell you is that the WC climbs like a mtn goat and is so much easier to handle on the technical stuff.. I went with the WC and am so pleased with my decision..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got mine in yesterday! The color is GORGEOUS!
    And this bike just begs to be pushed. I'm so pumped about my purchase.
    If you're on the fence about this bike, JUST BUY IT! Holy cow.

Here she is:
    2015 Epic expert WC
    Sworks phenom saddle, Easton EC 70 zero setback seatpost, Easton EC70 flat carbon handlebar.
    that's all for now.
    After the first ride though, I am going to be getting a raceface direct mount 34 tooth chainring, the 32 tooth is just a tad too small for my tastes.
    Custom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-img_7397.jpgCustom 2015 Epic Expert World Cup (EDIT: Now Weighed w' Pics)-img_7401.jpg
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2