mtbr member
    Aug 2011

CTD vs Specialized Brain Shock

I am trying to decide which rear shock to go with on a new Stumpjumper FSR 29er.

Not sure it I want to go with the Brain shock in the rear or the new CTD which replaces the RP23 for a new Stumpy.

I currently have the Epic 29er with the brain and I run the shock fully open all the time. Does that mean that I am not really using the brain shock? Because if I am not, maybe the CTD would be a better fit.

Please comment...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    I am trying to decide which rear shock to go with on a new Stumpjumper FSR 29er.

Not sure it I want to go with the Brain shock in the rear or the new CTD which replaces the RP23 for a new Stumpy.

I currently have the Epic 29er with the brain and I run the shock fully open all the time. Does that mean that I am not really using the brain shock? Because if I am not, maybe the CTD would be a better fit.

Please comment...
    If you have the brain at full open yes you have NO BRAIN. Sorry couldn't resist I had the brain on my stumpy and it was too harsh for the trails I ride switched for RP23 and love it..
    to answer your ? get the CTD
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How did you switch it and what year is you bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That was pretty funny BTW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    How did you switch it and what year is you bike
    2012 stumpy elite 26" with a 2011 rp23 the shop couldn't get me a 2012. works great thou
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whats wrong with the shock that you have??

If your current shock is working I would not replace it. I would spend some time experimenting with setting it up. The Brain affords you a wider range of tuning options then then either an rp23 or the new dumbed down CTD system. The brain shock will perform better then a CTD once you get it dialed in. On my epic I really liked the ability to run the shock very soft (much softer then I could on a non-brain shock) and then use the brain set at a med threshold to prevent bob. Worked great for me. I was able to stand and hammer and then bike felt like a hardtail, but once the suspension activated it was plush and I was using full travel. Only problem I had was the shock failed once a month. 08 AFR. If you have not spend the time to set it up don't count it out yet.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    I agree with pedalfaraway, if you take the time to set up the Brain and shock, it works like few others. Can have it plush but not active until you hit something. Love it.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race