Thread: Crunching???

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Crunching???

I have a 2001?? Specialized Stumpjumper XC Pro. Lately I have been having some problems with it, namely I fell a "crunching" when peddling. I took it to a shop and they said I needed new chain rings, which I knew I did. They replaced them but that didnt do the trick, took it to another shop, they said I needed a new cassete and while I was at it replace the chain, fine but that wasnt it either, now it is back in the shop and they really dont know what it is!!! I know I need new bearings for my shock (they are on order) but would that cause the "crunching" I am feeling when I peddle. I have tightened everything I can and it isnt helping. Has anyone had any similar problems, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
    Shannon

Are you talking to me?

BB or rear hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon PA
    I have a 2001?? Specialized Stumpjumper XC Pro. Lately I have been having some problems with it, namely I fell a "crunching" when peddling. I took it to a shop and they said I needed new chain rings, which I knew I did. They replaced them but that didnt do the trick, took it to another shop, they said I needed a new cassete and while I was at it replace the chain, fine but that wasnt it either, now it is back in the shop and they really dont know what it is!!! I know I need new bearings for my shock (they are on order) but would that cause the "crunching" I am feeling when I peddle. I have tightened everything I can and it isnt helping. Has anyone had any similar problems, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
    Shannon

Have the shop check the Bottom Bracket and the Rear hub, including the freehub body.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

My money is on the bottom bracket being bad....

as this crunching only occurs when you pedal. But the rear hub should be checked too. I could be either one. But my money is on the BB.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    as this crunching only occurs when you pedal. But the rear hub should be checked too. I could be either one. But my money is on the BB.

Good Dirt
    Try slowly turning the cranks by hand and listen for any grinding noise from the BB. If you hear this then you know your bottom bracket has had it. Are you feeling any play in the cranks at all? The cranks should be solid, otherwise check bolts are tight etc.

The other things it could be are the bushes between the shock and the linkage plates (if you're riding an FSR), or maybe even the seatpost if you're hearing strange noises when seated. Make sure the seatpost is greased as a matter of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Try slowly turning the cranks by hand and listen for any grinding noise from the BB. If you hear this then you know your bottom bracket has had it. Are you feeling any play in the cranks at all? The cranks should be solid, otherwise check bolts are tight etc.

The other things it could be are the bushes between the shock and the linkage plates (if you're riding an FSR), or maybe even the seatpost if you're hearing strange noises when seated. Make sure the seatpost is greased as a matter of course.
    Thanks for the replies guys, we looked at the bottom bracket and there really isnt any play, they did have to tighten the back bracket though but the crunching is still there. I thought about the seat thing, especially since I recently changed the saddle, but I dont see how that would be felt when peddling but i will grease everything just in case. I know I need new bushings for my rear shock yet I dont see how that is transfering through to my drivetrain. Since everyone is suggesting the bottom bracket, I will probably just get a new one. Thanks

Shannon

mtbr member
    if you live in a cold area the bbcasing could slightly shrink, but the steel bearings won't shrink as much and it makes a little niose. that is normal you can't do much about it but it's gone during summer.