mtbr member
    Apr 2007

To Crosstrail or not to Crosstrail?

Hey all,

I'm getting back into the sport and have narrowed my bike choices to an '07 Crosstrail, Rockhopper, or Hard Rock. I'm sold on Specialized from previous experience. I will mainly ride around town, but I love singletrack riding and I may travel to the mountains for some downhill. I like the idea of the Crosstrail but I'm not sure. What should I buy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    According to Specialized, the Crosstrail is not a mountain bike; though it looks like one, the frame does not meet the same requirements that their MTBs do. For '08 they're coming out with a 29er line, but if you're looking now I'd recommend a Rockhopper for trail use over the Hardrock.

mtbr member
    rockhopper, all the way. Crosstrail is not built for singletrack. Its built for fireroad at most. Rockhopper is a relatively light frame with a lockout on the fork for those days you really do want to pound into the ground. Rockhopper sounds like your choice. But it really depends on what you WANT to do vs and what you honestly believe you WILL do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroXC
    According to Specialized, the Crosstrail is not a mountain bike; though it looks like one, the frame does not meet the same requirements that their MTBs do.
    What sort of requirements, specifically, are we talking about here?

I've been looking at a Crosstrail as a new, "town bike". But for me, riding in town might still mean some dirt trails, or hopping of curbs, or what have you. Our streets are not smooth, and I don't like to be confined to pavement. I'm also looking at a Globe. Haven't had a chance yet to test ride and compare the two.