mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Post Specialized Crosstrail Thoughts Here-----Based On Actual Experience.

update below

Last edited by Tinman; 04-02-2015 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    update below
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-02-2015 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Of Interest To CT owners/Adventure Tour

Adjusted/Modified Handle Bar - Type = riser XCM
    *Cut 7/8" each end
    * Rolled forward slightly
    *Flip'ed Stem

A nice large factory bar to work with. I gave it a couple months trial and use before chop/shop dial in, for my preference.

INTERESTING: The geometry of this bike and other manufacture's similar is Very similar to Salsa Fargo and new 2014 Specialized AwoL - adventure / tour / down bar mountain bike's.......Very Similar if you compare the geometry. The fargo steel fork is a match/swap, woodchopper bar's etc.

UPDATE BELOW
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Update @ approx. 400 miles mixed terrain.

MADDUX
    I believe the rims are the DXT-116 for XC/Tour. I believe the total weight front and rear to be about 1900g. They are a durable/DW wheel and imo a very good choice for a Bike Packing/Adventure Tour / APB. Some early reports suggest substantially more wheel weight. Maybe early models were?
    * The rims measure 18mm high / 24mm outer wide. Ideal tire size range based on the "1.5 -2 times" rule of thumb is 36mm to 48mm. Ideal cross / monster cross / gravel / ATB size imo.
    * I may go Stans tubeless kit soon.

2) The 2013 CT SD is approx. 29 #'s. One area it lacks is climbing via weight. Yet, for the purpose of this bike, imo it has sturdy wheel set, of expectable weight per purpose, from a reputable mfg'er

3) Another contributor to weight, climbing is the SA Suntour Nexi Suspension Fork. My research (SA Suntour online catalog ) show's this suspension. fork to be 2300g / 5# 1oz (nearly 5#'s even) .
    The sus forks work's quite well for intended purpose (trekking,tour,bike pack,fire-forest service road) I have taken it apart and imo it is Low maint. The issue besides weight is no oil dampening.
    Option : If one were to swap out the sus. fork for a Salsa Fargo V2 CroMoly rigid fork the weight savings would be 2 1/2#'s (2#'s 9oz exact). The Salsa fork weighs 1158g / 2# 8oz (2 1/2#'s) by their website stats. Price of fork about $130.
    Option 2 : A carbon MTB fork such as Orgin 8 , Niner. This would take the # savings to over 3 1/2#'s = substantial.
    The sus fork does o.k. on singles hit impacts and very mild trail, urban side walks,curbs,etc. Anything in-between (the big area) the rebound is to fast, making the ride Worst. I would have preferred Specialized simply put a cro/mo rigid fork on the CT. But, they are following suit as all large companies have the same cheap S.F. on their similar bikes.

4) I like the Handle bars and like mine cut 7/8" each end. They are nice tour/ATB bars that allow up to 3 hand position's with bar ends. I have sense rolled them back a bit with less rear sweep.......nice. The specialized bar ends are REALLY nice. Over all I like these XCM bars/choice for this bike (sport disc).

To be continued.............

UPDATE BELOW
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-02-2015 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ 500 miles
    Mutating the dual sport / cross trail class into a Renegade.....

Added - Origin 8 Lever 2, Black Ops, Carbon Fork - This took the strip'ed bike with peddles weight to 25.5#'s / large frame. Ditched (boxed) the SA Suntour NEXi suspension fork = it was not worth it's weight.

Added - Specialized Renegade Control 2bliss 1.8" / 46mm (still with tubes at this point). First purchased and used as a front only with a 1.5"/38mm Trigger rear. Liked it (Renegade) so much = added rear. Two tire system with 38 Triggers but, will leave the Renegades on the majority.

Shown with mud guards and in utility mode - rain and snow have started here.

FURTHER UPDATE BELOW

Last edited by Tinman; 04-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I like this build.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank You !

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Beset thing about the cross trail was the frame. The undamped fork weighed 3 kg+ I replaced this with a kona project ii extended crown, rebuilt bike with road transmission and xt v brakes.

Also experiments with road, hybrid and 29 er tires

Cross Trail Thoughts-----Based On Actual Experience.-p4pb9129834.jpg

Cross Trail Thoughts-----Based On Actual Experience.-p4pb8301144.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Trail Thoughts-----Based On Actual Experience.-p4pb10736932.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is where my 2013 X-Trail ended up after a couple years = Finalized For Reference

* Carbon Fork - Black Op's Origin 8
    * Specialized Carbon Zertz Post
    * Specialized Milano 155m Gel/Pad seat (simular to WTB Speed V Gel, certain Terrys,etc). Good value touring,ATB, seat about $50
    * Modified the XCM riser bar (cut / roll) , flipped stem
    * Bar Ends-Specialized "Ned 's " - nice stuff!
    * SKS X Board (modified/cut it was longer than I like) & X Blade
    * Frame Pump
    * Cages
    *Touring Tripple Geared
    * 3m Reflective (small strip each will and rack)
    * Q Clip map holders
    * Rechargeable Lights
    * Rear Rack with custom made mudflap and rear light holder
    * Peddles - quil MTB
    * Tires - Specialized Renegade 1.8" 2bliss Control for on/off road/all purpose
    * Seat Saddle Bag - Topeak Aero Large MTB saddle,expandable (i like it)
    * Luggage / Bags - saddle style panniers, drys bags,straps,bicycle bungie, Wingnut Back pack
    * Hydration - Camelbak 25 oz (4) & 3 L bladder for back depending on use ride
    * Trip Computer
    * I opted to leave the chain guard and rear "dummy disc" on because they serve common sense purpose for this bikes use with out weight or issues.
    * Removed excessive Specialized graphics and stickers over winter with nail polish remover ~ add “Goat” decal on head tube (LOL). Left Specialized ghost decal on the down tube . 2013 X Trails were over done on child like graphics imo......less is more
    * Weight of the value class "Goat" = 27 pounds with bar ends & peddles / tubes, Renegade 1.8” / heavy comfy 400 G Touring Saddle. Similar to Awol's.Fargo's,Stragglers,Ogre's which Adventure Touring / ATB is where I intended this bike.
    * Highlights - my bars (stock Spesh Riser XCM) with Spesh BG Grips and Spesh Ned's bar ends are extremely comfortable for touring , Many hand positions - hands do not go numb. Bike is heavy climbing but very comfortable and durable. Purchased new & personalized for and by me
    * The bike was about $850 new. I think I have about $1,200 in it , personalizing it to me,with carbon fork,carbon post (purchased used),bar ends,seat,lights,saddle bag.

Nice of Specialized to come out with a larger version of one of, my favorite treads - Trigger in 47/1.85" Makes a great Dirt Tour'er / Multi Use tire. Yummy, had to have them for the Dirt Tour'er, Cross-Goat - Spring 2015
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-24-2015 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The above post/edit is my final and serves reference for one example of SPECIALIZED CROSSTRAIL modifications and for me future reference file,review of similar.

Like the CROSSTRAIL above posted by another MTB Forum member I would like to see more. They make a great commuter bike among other things.

This X-TRAIL has been a fun, value class , swiss army knife type of bike to personalized,customized project for a Touring / A-Purpose-B / A-terrain bike / 4 seasons bike. I never intended to buy it/one that day I walked into the local bike shop. I was looking at it, seen practicality, multi use,etc. ~ rode it for quite a bit ~ went to the bank~purchased it ~ tossed it in the van and took it home.

I have no regrets. It plays hard and gets put away wet. much like my early 90's steel 26er MTB set up for touring.........modern version of

The only addition I may make is Stans No Tube's conversion ~ which is debatable for on/off all purpose (limited air up psi for paved)

Enjoy the outdoors.......

Dirt Tour'er

Last edited by Tinman; 05-13-2015 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013