mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Creaky 2007 Stumpjumper FSR

There is an annoying creak coming from my stumpjumper. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom bracket area, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it (I haven't spent a lot of time on it either). It gets worse when I'm out of the saddle. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem or knows how to fix it. Thanks

Ride Like the Wind
    I got a 2007 Stumpjumper elite and went through the same thing dude,check your bottom bracket and make sure it is'nt loose.Mine was the same way,when I was out of the saddle it would creak pretty bad.I just replaced all the frame bearings as well that needed replaceing so all those bolts were checked for torque as well,Creaks can come from many places so check anything that moves or has a bolt or screw and use a thin film of grease on anything that could use it,bolt threads,seat post,etc...

Fat Biker
    breakdown, inspect pivots, and then reassemble to spec. That is what I would do if you haven't done it. you'll probably need to replace/service the pivot bearings if you ride a lot in mud/rain. Torque everything to spec. I've fixed quite a few "creaks" just by re-torquing.
    B
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What did you guys do to replace/service the bearings? How did you know what to torque everything to?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Put a light coat of grease on your seat post. If that is not the ticket i bet your rear skewer is loose.

this was my issue.

ElDorado
    Jun 2007
    +1 on Ral83178.

mtbr member
    On my 08 epic and stumpjumper, have to every month or 2 take the rear suspension apart and re grease all the bearings. Although I was riding my bikes 6 days a week at the time, Now that I have shifted training to the road more, it is not as necessary. but the BB bearings need a lot of grease
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Probably the lower pivot bearings. They are right near the BB. If they haven't ever been serviced, then they may need replacement or at least grease.

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax
    What did you guys do to replace/service the bearings? How did you know what to torque everything to?
    Bearing puller/press
    Contact your LSD (local Specialized Dealer) and ask them to look up the torque specs for your model bike.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Swap out your pedals with a borrowed pair. May or may not help the situation, but it is an easy and often overlooked source.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah pedals could be the culprit... Both mine just started doing it on my bike after I got them wet. Not sealed bearing I don't think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoracerX
    Bearing puller/press
    Contact your LSD (local Specialized Dealer) and ask them to look up the torque specs for your model bike.
    Save yourself the trip to the bike shop.

Here is the manual and the specs. http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/..._manual_44.pdf

There is a lot of other information on the Specialized site as well.

Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Samething with my 07, clean all my bearings and bushings and it went away. BB was fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i have an 08 enduro, i thought it was the bottombracket turned out to be a loose rear derailer hanger

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My creak ended up being the derailleur hanger bolt. It can be pretty much any component that is stressed under pedaling. Here's the list of crap I removed, regreased, and reassembled:

1. Bottom Bracket (about three times)
    2. Pedals (couple times)
    3. Chainrings
    4. Saddle (couple times)
    5. Seatpost (who knows how many times)
    6. Stem
    7. Handlebars
    8. Rear triangle pivots
    9. Derailleur hanger (success!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Do little test. After riding and hearing the creek, stop and release the rear skewer. If you her the creek while releasing the skewer the bearings in the rear hub may have to much play and need to be tightened a little. Just tighten the cones a little then snug up the locknut. This was the source of my last creek on my 07.

mtbr member
    Has anyone else had the housing creak where it meets the housing, connectors if you will? You know the little plastic guys that keep the housing in line under the down tube. I'm pretty sure I get a creak there and haven't been able to eliminate it.

I also had a creak from the carbon spacers that came on the bike. And finally the Spec stem with the shim was creaking. I just replaced that with a one piece stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    +1 amadkins did the same things should have tried the hanger first. haha would have saved alot of time. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    + 1 on the derailer hanger. I noticed today the bolt was broken and the hanger was only held in place when the wheel was on. I put a new one on and viola the nasty CREAK I have had for about a month was gone. My bike is silent now (08 FSR 29er)

ryanmtnman
    Apr 2010
    Any of you guys ever see a spec sheet for the bearing sizes on an 07 stumpy comp???