mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Creaking Pivots/Shock in Epic?

My Specialized Epic creaks like an old wooden chair each time the rear shock is engaged. I checked some of the other posts regarding the issue and found only issues relating to cranks/BB or how the bearings are usually not the issue.

I'm 99% sure that the sounds isn't coming from my cranks/BB since there's no noise when I apply pressure on the pedals and the shock does not engage (say on flat pavement). I did participate in a race about 2 weeks ago that finished off in a full on downpour. Is there anything in particular I should look into cleaning and/or lubing to get rid of the creak?

Driven by watts inside
    Well, it's pretty simple... If you think it's coming from the pivots, then just disassemble the rear end, clean the crap out of everything and reassemble it.

My Epic develops a creak in the pivots every couple of months (I average at least 500 miles per month). I break it all down, clean it up and the creak goes away. Use a dry cloth to clean the grit out and wipe down all the bearing seals.

- Jeremy -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy -
    Well, it's pretty simple... If you think it's coming from the pivots, then just disassemble the rear end, clean the crap out of everything and reassemble it.

My Epic develops a creak in the pivots every couple of months (I average at least 500 miles per month). I break it all down, clean it up and the creak goes away. Use a dry cloth to clean the grit out and wipe down all the bearing seals.

- Jeremy -
    Thanks I'll give that a shot. Is there anything I should be aware of when taking the rear end apart? Have not mess around with it before, just unbolt everything and clean out any gunk?

Driven by watts inside
    Just unbolt it and remember where the spacers go. You'll need to remove your crank to get to the lower pivot. The three main pivots nearest the seat tube are the most prone to making noise. The dropout pivots are usually pretty clean, but you might want to take a look anyway.

Use the proper torque and some blue Locktite when you put the bolts back together.

Good luck!

- Jeremy -

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    SplijinX,

Had an similar issue issue with my '04 Enduro when I bought it used. When I test rode it on pavement, I didn't notice any issues with the rear shock, but when I took it for it's first trail ride it creeked every time the rear shock compressed. A friend of mine and I took the rear shock out after the ride and removed the reduction fittings from the lower and upper shock pivots. What we discovered was that the delrin (sp) "self lubricating bushing" in the lower shock mount was completely worn out and was getting metal to metal contact with the reduction fitting. My friend (a former Specialized employee) said this was not an uncommon issue. We cleaned and greased the fittings and pressed them back into the pivot bushing and the creek disappeared. I have since ordered new bushings from fox for good measure. I realize that the epic shock mounts differently than the Enduro, but check your shock mount bushings, they could be the culprit.

Justin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jxhower
    SplijinX,

Had an similar issue issue with my '04 Enduro when I bought it used. When I test rode it on pavement, I didn't notice any issues with the rear shock, but when I took it for it's first trail ride it creeked every time the rear shock compressed. A friend of mine and I took the rear shock out after the ride and removed the reduction fittings from the lower and upper shock pivots. What we discovered was that the delrin (sp) "self lubricating bushing" in the lower shock mount was completely worn out and was getting metal to metal contact with the reduction fitting. My friend (a former Specialized employee) said this was not an uncommon issue. We cleaned and greased the fittings and pressed them back into the pivot bushing and the creek disappeared. I have since ordered new bushings from fox for good measure. I realize that the epic shock mounts differently than the Enduro, but check your shock mount bushings, they could be the culprit.

Justin

Yea, I'll have to take a look at everything this weekend. Will I need any special tools to remove and reinstall that bushing? I've got most standard bike tools, but nothing to remove or press in bearings.

I too bought the epic used, but hadn't really noticed the creeking until recently. Then again, my seatpost was creaking alot louder until I realized it had become dry and needed to be relubed.

I'm considering taking to a shop and having everything replaced since I think I need to send my front shock off for a leak issue. Any idea how much a job like that goes for?

mtbr member

Bearings

I had the same problem. I just took my Epic apart for a thorough cleaning and re-greasing and nearly all of the bearings were seized or notchy. I ride in a dry climate and am very sparing with water when I clean occasionally. I was surprised that in a little over a year, nearly all of the seals would fail. I'm going to be keeping up on this maintenance a lot more frequently.