mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Creaking frame/suspension, common causes?

I only have 3 rides on my new to me 2012 SJ Evo. On my 2nd and 3rd rides I noticed a creaking sound. I can't exactly tell where it's coming from but it only happens when the rear (and I guess possibly front) suspension moves. This means pedaling or any bumps. I even bounced up and down with my feet off the pedals and it was there to eliminate bottom bracket/drivetrain.

This maybe be a coincidence but I rebuilt the rear shock between rides 1 and 2 and that's when it showed up. Did I possibly torque the rear suspension too much? Any other common areas that cause creaking? The bottom bracket and drivetrain have less than 50 miles on them so I don't think it's that. In fact the whole bike is brand new besides frame and suspension.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Make sure you use grease on the bolts. Locktite creaks like crazy. Also i had my rear hanger creaking like crazy on a new bike. greasing the threads did the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I greased the S-Link bolts and torqued them to spec. I nearly eliminated the problem but it comes back every so often... Annoying!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hear you creaks sucks. If i dont tighten my rear Quik release down good it creaks. Its the dt swiss ratchet kind. Good luck man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Creaking frame/suspension, common causes?

Might wanna check the seat post as well. Any time I get some dirt in there it starts creaking like crazy. Gotta take it out clean the post and seat tube, grease up the seat post a bit, re install then it's good to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Check cables as well as they can rub on the frame on compression, or against the wheel if the cable ties aren't done up or are missing
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

UNDEAD
    Had the same issue with my 2013 Enduro Expert. Creaked like a bed in TJ when climbing. I tried all the bolt thing...chainrings, BB, FSR links, Der. Hanger, etc. and nothing.
    Got pissed one day and WD-40'd the CRAP out of the BB area...GONE. Never returned at that was 3 months ago. Yes I know WD40 has a bad wrap...whatever...it worked!
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

mtbr member
    The upper shock eyelet is usually the culprit. Make sure you grease the shock reducer/frame interface. Torque spec is 20-11 nm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    The upper shock eyelet is usually the culprit. Make sure you grease the shock reducer/frame interface. Torque spec is 20-11 nm.
    The squeaking went away a few rides after I did this. But now I'm getting an obnoxious squealing sound while pedaling (even with the rear tire off the ground so it's probably strictly drivetrain related).

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 SJ EVO. For me it's usually the drive-side Horst link pivot coming loose. Remove it, clean it, apply blue Loctite (242) to the threads and re-install.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I thought I fixed this but it just came back and all the things I did last time didn't fix it this time.

Last time it was the shock eyelet and this time I did that + new bottom bracket and the same sound is still there so it's not that...

Dirt Junkie
    First 2 years from new are usually pretty quiet. After that it's a constant battle for me. Live with the noise for 12 months and shot gun the works at 3 years. Replace all pivot points and hardware. Retire bike at 5-6 years before second set really wears out.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    First 2 years from new are usually pretty quiet. After that it's a constant battle for me. Live with the noise for 12 months and shot gun the works at 3 years. Replace all pivot points and hardware. Retire bike at 5-6 years before second set really wears out.
    When you say "replace pivot points" do you mean the bearings or is there more to it?

I think I found my issue this time... saddle clamp bolts of all things. They squeaked a lot when I took them off so I greased the threads and now I can't get the bike to make any noises. I'll find out tomorrow when I ride.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    I went through this--

Cleaned/greased/torqued the seat post
    Cleaned/greased the headset bearings
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the upper shock eyelet bolt
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the saddle mount bolts
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the stem bolts
    Replaced the bottom bracket
    Tried two different sets of pedals, one clipless one flats (to rule out shoe cleat and pedals)
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the crank and chainring bolts

The sound is ONLY when pedaling, not when cycling the suspension. When the upper shock eyelet caused the creak, I'd get the creak when cycling the suspension.

What else could it be? I can FEEL it in my pedal, but I've tried two different sets of pedals, one clipless and one set of flats so it can't be the pedals or my SPD cleat.

mtbr member
    Have you lubed the chain? Had a creak on the road bike a fe weeks ago stopped the whole thing and rebuilt to ensure all mounts and bolts where lubed including BB. Guess what creak was still there when pedalling. Lubed the chain and let it soak for a while and........quiet.
    Worth a try.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Since this bike is new to you, perhaps there's something deeper going on, maybe damage in the shock or to the frame. These things will be difficult to diagnose over the internet, if you're able I'd recommend taking it to a dealer (preferably a Specialized mechanic) to get a second set of experienced eyes and ears involved.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    Since this bike is new to you, perhaps there's something deeper going on, maybe damage in the shock or to the frame. These things will be difficult to diagnose over the internet, if you're able I'd recommend taking it to a dealer (preferably a Specialized mechanic) to get a second set of experienced eyes and ears involved.
    I've put 1,000 miles on it since I've had it and for most of its life it has been dead silent.

A similar creak comes and goes but different things resolve it each time :-/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Have you lubed the chain? Had a creak on the road bike a fe weeks ago stopped the whole thing and rebuilt to ensure all mounts and bolts where lubed including BB. Guess what creak was still there when pedalling. Lubed the chain and let it soak for a while and........quiet.
    Worth a try.
    After every ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I went through this--

Cleaned/greased/torqued the seat post
    Cleaned/greased the headset bearings
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the upper shock eyelet bolt
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the saddle mount bolts
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the stem bolts
    Replaced the bottom bracket
    Tried two different sets of pedals, one clipless one flats (to rule out shoe cleat and pedals)
    Cleaned/greased/torqued the crank and chainring bolts

The sound is ONLY when pedaling, not when cycling the suspension. When the upper shock eyelet caused the creak, I'd get the creak when cycling the suspension.

What else could it be? I can FEEL it in my pedal, but I've tried two different sets of pedals, one clipless and one set of flats so it can't be the pedals or my SPD cleat.
    Derailleur hanger bolt? I've had that one happen to me. Creaks travel through the bike, so where you feel it doesn't mean much, especially on carbon bikes.

Don't laugh, but I have one of these and it works pretty well on bikes:

Wireless ChassisEAR

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jesus, finally fixed it. It was several things.

-I cleaned/lubed/torqued the derailleur bolt and hangar bolt
    -Re packed every single suspension pivot bearing on the bike, several were seized so I'm gonna order a replacement set cuz I know all I did was buy myself some time
    -After that I heard a NEW creak at the bottom of the suspension travel (never heard it cuz I'm always going FAST at the bottom of the travel) and it was cable rub

Bike is SILENT now!!

Thanks guys