mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Creaking downshifting ?

I have an 07 Rockhopper but maybe some of the other specialized bikes have the same problem as I do; When I go to downshift with my RD the action of pushing the lever makes a "creaky" sound.

To me it feels like the shifter (SRAM X9) itself needs oil or something because I can feel some resistance that was not there initially. I think that the sound is actually coming from the bottom bracket area. When I inspect it closely it sounds like the sound is coming from where the cable to my RD is guided along the bottom bracket. My old drivetrain setup eventually made the same feeling and sound so my question is; is it just from the RD cable rubbing along it's guided thingy or something else? I think it may just need a good cleaning or something but just wanted to see if anyone else has come across a similar problem.

I realize that it is unlikely that all specialized bikes have their RD cable routed to go under the bottom bracket. Thanks anyways.

Go outside!
    spray some lube on the plastic cable guide under the BB. If that doesn't help post again with some updates!