mtbr member
    May 2008

creaking 12 epic s works

guys im getting a creaking noise coming from my bike. I seem to notice it more when Im on the saddle. Its not noticeable when off the saddle. Any ideas on what this could be?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The saddle!

(Duh.)

It could be the saddle itself, or more likely the saddle rail/seat post interface. You might try taking it apart, greasing it up and reassembling. Of course if could be unrelated to the sattle and simply something that occurs when you are putting weight through the seat tube (suspension links/mounts, RD hanger, who knows). It it is unrelated to pedaling then that means it is frame or suspension. If it is pedaling related then you can try riding on a trainer and get a friend to use a stethoscope or paper towel roll to try to hear where it is coming from.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Creak decision tree:
    1) on or off the saddle
    2) pedaling or not
    3) on the bars or not
    4) rough ground or smooth.

Creaks can be many things from the obvious (saddle) to the obscure - I chased a creak that would only occur when loading the crank. Convinced that it was the BB I spent some hours on various remediation approaches including replacing the BB. All to no avail. Finally I changed the rear wheel and the problem disappeared. My cassette was not tightened up sufficiently on the FWH. Duh indeed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check the pivots for tightness. Pull the seatpost and check it for structural integrity. If that doesn't work get some ear plugs. Creaks can come from the oddest places. I know someone that traced it his grips of all things.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i tried to listen when not peddling but the rear hub is so loud I cant hear over it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When you are off your bike, pull your saddle back and forth. If you hear the creek it's either the saddle, or the seat post.

I've found the carbon assembly paste used for seatpost needs replacing fairly often to stop the creeks on my 2010 Carbon Epic.

I've spent hours trying to resolve creeks in the past which I was sure was the seatpost, then bottom bracket, then handlebars, then pedals, then rear suspension etc etc. Finally turned out to be the fork needed a little grease in the headset...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post

Creaks can be many things from the obvious (saddle) to the obscure - I chased a creak that would only occur when loading the crank. Convinced that it was the BB I spent some hours on various remediation approaches including replacing the BB. All to no avail. Finally I changed the rear wheel and the problem disappeared. My cassette was not tightened up sufficiently on the FWH. Duh indeed...
    I had this exact same issue three weeks ago. Like your bike, the creak was related to a loose cassette. I could swear it came from the bottom bracket. My shop said that sound can do funny things inside carbon frames.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    I had this exact same issue three weeks ago. Like your bike, the creak was related to a loose cassette. I could swear it came from the bottom bracket. My shop said that sound can do funny things inside carbon frames.
    I think the problem is caused by the XX cassette design. As the cassette is only supported at either end it will tend to torque or twist if not fully tight. The torquing on the FWH will cause creaking. Other cassettes have multiple interface points to the FWH, and therefore won't creak. I'm not faulting XX btw, love the cassette, and get great life out of them - I just need to pay proper attention to the 40nm torque setting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    I think the problem is caused by the XX cassette design. As the cassette is only supported at either end it will tend to torque or twist if not fully tight. The torquing on the FWH will cause creaking. Other cassettes have multiple interface points to the FWH, and therefore won't creak. I'm not faulting XX btw, love the cassette, and get great life out of them - I just need to pay proper attention to the 40nm torque setting.
    Thanks for the info!
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    guys im getting a creaking noise coming from my bike. I seem to notice it more when Im on the saddle. Its not noticeable when off the saddle. Any ideas on what this could be?
    http://service.specialized.com/colla...tion-Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2008
    great link man!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Yeah, thanks for that! Just added to my technical folder.
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    change the seat post collar...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    check the brain cable rubbing against the frame also.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    change the seat post collar...
    Did you have an issue with your seat post collar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Did you have an issue with your seat post collar?
    My friend had an issue with the stock seat post collar on his Epic creaking. Changed it out and the creaking stopped.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    My friend had an issue with the stock seat post collar on his Epic creaking. Changed it out and the creaking stopped.

do you know which collar he went with?