mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Crave pro 2014 real world experiences please

Looking at a new Crave Pro, reviews are a little scarce so just wondering what real world experience is out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Trailboy View Post
    Looking at a new Crave Pro, reviews are a little scarce so just wondering what real world experience is out there?
    Mine will be here in a few days... Will definitely make sure to post feedback!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Excellent I'd really appreciate that. In fact any feedback on any of the crave models would be appreciated. Most sites basically just picked up on the fact it changed names and is a little lighter. And over @ twentynineinches he was worried about getting hit by lightening on his test so the report was brief but favourable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Re: Crave pro 2014 real world experiences please

Not a problem. I checked out the crave comp at my LBS and fell in love with the layout. IIRC its a sub 25# bike in medium and I am looking forward to hopping on the pro when the delivery guy drops mine off

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Crave Pro with Stans Arch EX ZTR, Candy 3s

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i too have seen the Crave pro,expert and so forth at my lbs and they are great looking bikes, i have no doubt that ithe crave pro is a good successor for the carve pro itīs basically the same bike as the carve pro with some difference to the frame and components.
    gret bike never the less

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Picked mine up this afternoon and gave it a run through. Absolutely love this bike. Off the bat I put on my set of Arch EX XTR wheels and went tubeless. My Pro is right at the 25# mark and I am absolutely happy with it. Put on a set of Candies and bottle cage, and the bike is ready to go. Put a short ride in the trails by my place and it handles the terrain quite well! I will be keeping a critical eye on the Pro and post any updates as I grow with the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Anybody knows what type of bottom bracket is on the Crave? Is it threaded or pressfit?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Looks threaded to me

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awesome, I'm going for a fitting tomorrow I'm right between medium and large. If I fit the medium better will have one for my own trail report on Monday. Please keep the updates coming it looks so fast and an awesome build for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Put in 8 miles today and it definitely is a fun ride! I was cruising and my friend that rode with me had his Cannondale topped out trying to keep up... I am looking forward to pushing this bike as I grow into it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rovpilot26 View Post
    Put in 8 miles today and it definitely is a fun ride! I was cruising and my friend that rode with me had his Cannondale topped out trying to keep up... I am looking forward to pushing this bike as I grow into it
    Nice!
    How much is your speed improvement by riding the Crave?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Coming from the hard rock sport disc. The difference is noticeable

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Awesome, I'm going for a fitting tomorrow I'm right between medium and large. If I fit the medium better will have one for my own trail report on Monday. Please keep the updates coming it looks so fast and an awesome build for the money.
    I too am between the medium and large. Went with the medium and definitely have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well I can add my own real world experience now. After starting out on a 120mm 26" dually - all I can say is this crave pro is fast. Faster than I expected, in fact I took a 30km loop this morning and was about 5 min faster despite not being on a bike for over a fortnight.

Great build and a very good compromise between fast and comfort.

GREAT BIKE and I'm now a specialized fan boy for life. Can't recommend it enough for someone who wants a good balanced bike that is quick and well built. It is awesome looking in the flesh as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well I can add my own real world experience now. After starting out on a 120mm 26" dually - all I can say is this crave pro is fast. Faster than I expected, in fact I took a 30km loop this morning and was about 5 min faster despite not being on a bike for over a fortnight.

Great build and a very good compromise between fast and comfort.

GREAT BIKE and I'm now a specialized fan boy for life. Can't recommend it enough for someone who wants a good balanced bike that is quick and well built. It is awesome looking in the flesh as well.
    Glad you are enjoying your new ride. It definitely lives up to the claim of being race ready! I'm quite happy with my choice on going with the Crave Pro... My wife on the other hand... wellllllll... She doesn't get it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Are the shifters/brake levers in i-spec layout?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

As far as I can tell they are i-spec

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yes they are I-spec if i remember correct

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Thanks, guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does the gear system on the Crave Pro allow you to use both the 36T cog and the 36T chain ring? If not, does the chain get loose when using both the 11T cog and the 22T chain ring?

I'm curious because it says on the specs that the shadow plus rear derailleur is GS type (supposedly medium cage). According the the specs I've found for medium cage XT Shadow, its capacity is only 35T. But the gear system on the Crave (11-36 cogs to 36/22 rings) requires 39T capacity.

Thanks again, in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am able to run the chain on either ring and all the way up and down the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    Does the gear system on the Crave Pro allow you to use both the 36T cog and the 36T chain ring? If not, does the chain get loose when using both the 11T cog and the 22T chain ring?

I'm curious because it says on the specs that the shadow plus rear derailleur is GS type (supposedly medium cage). According the the specs I've found for medium cage XT Shadow, its capacity is only 35T. But the gear system on the Crave (11-36 cogs to 36/22 rings) requires 39T capacity.

Thanks again, in advance.
    Definetely works. Not sure you would do it outside of emergency "holy crap im in the wrong gear" moments but its doable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Very good to know it works like I think a 2x10 system should. I personally don't like having to keep track of which gear is currently in use just to avoid messing up the drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I picked up my Crave Pro last Monday. I'm liking everything on it except for the brakes.
    The brakes don't feel like the M615 brakes I've tested before. It performs just like the M445 brakes. It lacks the modulation and the "power-assisted" feel I've experienced on another 615 that I've previously tested.

What is wrong? Should I have my LBS warranty replace this, or is this just a matter of adjustment?

BTW, the lever says "Shimano" on it instead of "Deore". Also, the caliper looks a little different. Is it possible Specialized sent the wrong brakes in the kit?