mtbr member

Good job! Crave Expert or SJ Comp HT

hi everyone.
    I use the bike every day to go to the University (30 km) and to climb the hill 2 or 3 times a week, mostly XC. I did not put the Crave Pro because is not in my country (Chile). There is a difference of $ 100 between them, with which you think should stay? The geometry of the SJ is more racing and maybe a little uncomfortable to travel 3 hours or more, in this case, the Crave would be justified by a more relaxed geometry?
    They are also possibilities: Kona Big Kahuna (2014) and Niner EMD 9.(1 Star) (2014).

Thank you.

Kona Big Kahuna --> KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | RACE LIGHT | BIG KAHUNA

Specialized Crave Expert --> Specialized Bicycle Components

Niner E.M.D 9 X7 1 Star --> E.M.D. 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is the commute singletrack or dirt road or paved road? Just for commuting, there are probably better, cheaper all-road bikes like the Specialized TriCross (or Awol or Sirrus or other similar bikes from the big mfrs) unless you're actually doing singletrack and really, really steep climbs.

For $100, it mostly comes down to geometry. Let the shop take the time to set up each bike on a trainer and see which one fits you better. If you are already doing the commute, then you should have an idea of what you like & don't like about your current bike fit.

I preferred the Carve's relatively longer top tube compared to the SJ. At least on road bikes, the longer top tube is usually considered more aggressive, so I don't know why the SJ is considered more of an XC race bike based on its geometry. If anything it's relatively more All Mountain than XC when compared to the Carve/Crave (based on chainstay length and top tube length).

The SJ HT compares pretty closely in spec to the Crave Pro, not the Expert. The SJ will be a little lighter and parts should work a little better, but it won't be a huge difference.

mtbr member
    understand, then even with Crave Comp would be good for my training. it's just that I wanted to have a Reba fork or is not much difference with a Recon Gold TK SA 29 SL. between the Expert and Comp, change only the transmission fork and think.