mtbr member
    Oct 2004

A crashed Stumpy - survived!!

Hi,
    I would like to share with you a shock test that my new bikes had to go through.
    Few weeks a go after an exhasted trail ride I put my Stumpy FSR expert 06 (that I bought not to long a go) on my car rack.
    Driving at a speed of 110 km/hr tired and happy, I looke back and didnt believe my eys.
    My worst nightmare just happend .
    I saw my 2500$ bikes detach from the rack, flying high in the air and bumping hard to the ground with great speed.
    God was with me, no cars were behind.
    I will spare you the detailes of my condition at that time and go straight to the damages:
    Totaly bent front rim(that I wanted to replace any how) and a broken bar ends.
    Thats it!!!!
    A thorough check of myself and Lbs show no damages to the frame (not a scratch),shocks and shifters.
    My bottom line here is that going through this shock absorbing trauma, agree with me if I say that the FSR frame is a tough motherfacker frame - don't you think?

Keepin' it real since '74
    You got lucky. I'm not cracking on the quality of Stumpy frames...hell, I own one myself. But, when you go through a SNAFU like that, with ANY bike, and it sustains minimal damage, God was on your side.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi,
    I would like to share with you a shock test that my new bikes had to go through.
    Few weeks a go after an exhasted trail ride I put my Stumpy FSR expert 06 (that I bought not to long a go) on my car rack.
    Driving at a speed of 110 km/hr tired and happy, I looke back and didnt believe my eys.
    My worst nightmare just happend .
    I saw my 2500$ bikes detach from the rack, flying high in the air and bumping hard to the ground with great speed.
    God was with me, no cars were behind.
    I will spare you the detailes of my condition at that time and go straight to the damages:
    Totaly bent front rim(that I wanted to replace any how) and a broken bar ends.
    Thats it!!!!
    A thorough check of myself and Lbs show no damages to the frame (not a scratch),shocks and shifters.
    My bottom line here is that going through this shock absorbing trauma, agree with me if I say that the FSR frame is a tough motherfacker frame - don't you think?

What rack were you using?
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    What rack were you using?
    Bike racks that cost me 40$ (can't remember the company's name, just trashed them).
    Things that costs less can cost you a great deal more!!

just like a speeder-bike
    A friend had the exact same thing happen with his '05 Expert 120! At a similar speed even...

His saddle was ruined, and the handle bar got ground down on one side. That's it. Y'all are darn lucky!

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Bike racks that cost me 40$ (can't remember the company's name, just trashed them).
    Things that costs less can cost you a great deal more!!

get what ya pay for I guess.

saris bones trunk racks are pretty sweet.

obviously thule roof racks are nice too. but $$$

that's cool your bike didn't get real messed up. We had a dude come into the shop I worked for with a trek fuel that got ejected. it was in worse shape than yours, but we got it running again.

another dude had a hybrid on a hitch rack and it folded down somehow, ground the seat down so flat that it looked like it had been cut with a laser.