always learning

Crash replacement upgrade?

I have an 03 Enduro Comp frame that was involved in a car crash that Specialized has said they will give me a crash replacement for if I pay $500. I'm wondering if its possible to pay a little more for another frame. Has anybody done this and is the discount worth it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Well...I'd say call Specialized and ask....

Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    I have an 03 Enduro Comp frame that was involved in a car crash that Specialized has said they will give me a crash replacement for if I pay $500. I'm wondering if its possible to pay a little more for another frame. Has anybody done this and is the discount worth it?
    I know it's been done before. But whether it would be worth it or not would depend totaly on the price. What would you be looking to upgrade it to? I know one problem that your going to have should you up grade to the 6" travel "new" enduro frame. The old 130mm travel frame uses a 7.625 i2i x 2.0" stroke rear shock. The new frame uses an 8.75 i2i x 2.5" stroke. You'd be looking at a new rear shock right off the bat, and that ain't cheap! I am assuming that not much of the bike survived the crash so there probably isn't much that you'll be looking to transfer over from the old bike.

Anyway all you can do is ask. They may well let you go up for a reasonable upcharge. But be advised that at this point in time they may not have an upgrade available. It's the end of the model year for bike companies and availability of a given frame in a given design may be spotty at best. Give em a call or work through your LBS. The worst they can do is say no.

Good Dirt