mtbr member
    Oct 2004

crankset for hardtail

any suggestions for a replacement crankset for a 2003 stumpjumper hardtail? the chainrings on the stock set are beat, it's the old strongarm 2 version, they suck (not stiff).. I have FSA V drive mega exo on my big bike, think that'd be overkill for XC stumpjumper? or is there someting a little more reasonable cost-wise but still strong enough for a fatboy..thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Overkill for a Stumpy, maybe on the bling end of it.....

but on the performance end, no not really. The Stump hardtail is a nice bike. But if you are looking for stiff and economical then the new 3 piece LX crank set would be the way to go. The new 3 piece offerings from Shimano are stiff, reasonably light, and durable. And of those the LX is the best bang for the buck of the lot. You'd be looking at around $165 or so for the complete set. XT on the other hand would be around $275. Another option would be to run with maybe a race face Atlas or for heavier duty use maybe the Diabolus for around $280 and $310 respectively. Not sure of the price of the FSA set. But for my money the LX performs every bit as well as the XT, is a little heavier, but costs considerably less. My current favorite crank set is an older XT splined set up with a set of Race Face Team rings installed. But I'm planning on an LX 3 piece for a hardtail build that should take place soon, I hope!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"