mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Crank Brothers Colbolt SL Headset

Anyone out there put one of these on a Specialized yet? want to add one to my 07 stumpy

Looking mainly to see if you expereince the same issue that many do with the Chris King sizing (too small).

I really like the reviews and have had great expereince with CB's service and products.

Post up some pics and let me know if you had to tweek anything to make it fit properly.

tom

Mines 29
    one of the guys I ride with has it on his epic, he loves it.

I picked up an Woodman Axis SL headset, same price ($50) and you get a choice of colors.
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Stig
    one of the guys I ride with has it on his epic, he loves it.

I picked up an Woodman Axis SL headset, same price ($50) and you get a choice of colors.
    Thanks for the reply. The lowest i have seen the CB Colbolt SL was for $79 on EBay. So your buddy has not felt any wiggle in the Head Tube and the headset went in snug?

gone for a bike ride

Crank Brothers Cobalt SL

i swapped my CK headset for a Crank Brothers Cobalt SL - no problems installing, doing its job perfectly fine for 11 months now

not a fan of blue so i removed the ano from the top ring, now it matches my bike better (04 S-Works Epic)

i do try abit harder to keep dirt out now with lizardskins headset wrap
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Mines 29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178
    Thanks for the reply. The lowest i have seen the CB Colbolt SL was for $79 on EBay. So your buddy has not felt any wiggle in the Head Tube and the headset went in snug?
    No problems what so ever.

I was looking at the CB, before I talked to my guy at my LBS. He had a CB and swapped it for a Woodman on his cross bike. He said the bearing is smoother in the woodman. But idk since I didnt try both.

Take a look at the woodman, worth a look since its cheaper and just as nice, http://www.woodmancomponents.com/cat...g=en&art=Hea22
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Just don't let your LBS (or anyone else, for that matter) press in the CB headset without using the included installation tool (which is just an aluminum ring designed so that the pressure from the press is exerted on the outer portion of the headset, instead of the inner portion and the bearings).

Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I hope they are nothing like their wheelsets (cobalt). The do have great CS but I was very dissapointed. My buddy broke 3 sets and I broke one. Make sure if you buy from Ebay that the seller offers you a warranty. Many of the headsets have cracked.

Mines 29
    Woodman - $50
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have used them on two different bikes. Especially like the low stack height for my 29er. That said, I might try the cane creek 110 next time. I mean a 110 year warranty!

mtbr member
    I did the iodione one, since they have a higher bearing count in the lower cup. not too happy with it, the cups have soem surface rust (non -ss ones) but overall don't seem too bad.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    I have the Cobalt on my FSR Enduro Expert. Put it on last year with my old Rock Shox fork and just switched the fork out for a Spec. E150. Cobalt is still in place minus the top cap as the E150 has a threaded top cap of it's own. The Cobalt seems to be holding up well so far. Crank Bros seem to put out good quality parts.