mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cracked Henge Comp Saddle

So this is the first saddle I have ever had break. I am not even very heavy (180lbs) and I ride pretty light and slow for the most part. I have had a few saddles that creaked (especially the Henge when it was new!!) and a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil at the rail entry in the palstic pan fixes that.

Mine snapped through the carbon reinforced seatpan sometime during a ride, I didn't even notice until the following day when I pushed on the saddle to test rear shock pressure. Almost perfectly in the center of the sadlle crosswise. The only thing keeping it together was the saddle cover.

Great thing about Specialized branded stuff that comes with the bike, it's warranted for a year. Got a new one from the local Spec dealership yesterday. It just slightly different in color scheme but it's all good.

Any other Spec saddle problems out there? BTW, I really like the Henge saddle. If I had oodles of cash , I would buy a really light one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Same thing happened to my Henge. I'm a little heavier than you, and NOT easy on my bike.
    My LBS got me a warranty replacement in a couple days!

FKA Malibu412
    The stock Henges are crap when it comes to construction/materials quality, simple as that. Comfortable but not durable. I had a takeoff 2011 model on my '10 FSR 29 and it creaked right away, broke about 3 months later. I didn't get a warranty replacement 'cuz I didn't want more of the same. I put the original Specialized saddle back on and it now is on my SS. Still working perfectly and quietly nearly 2 year later. I have used a couple Specialized saddles from '11 Stumpy HTs (they are not Henges) and they have also held up for many months.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive