mtbr member

cracked frame, is it terminal?

my sons '02 stumpjumper pro's frame has developed a series of cracks on the tab that the shock linkage attaches to the frame. question is can this be repaired or is it terminal. we just had this framed signed by "The Captain" Ned Overend last week when he was here in Miami for a ride at Virginia Key.cracked frame, is it terminal?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344984224.416277.jpgcracked frame, is it terminal?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344984267.526962.jpgcracked frame, is it terminal?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344984296.840819.jpg
    29er from now on!!!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Not, not terminal - but in need of a comprehensive repair job at an experienced engineering shop. They would likely "fillet" the crack and weld...

It would then likely be better than new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Can you put a picture of Ned's autograph on here? I would let Ned autograph my bike.

E

mtbr member
    cracked frame, is it terminal?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344996296.746576.jpg
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    In my experience Specialized is really good at standing behind their frames. You might want to try and warranty it. They've always taken care of me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    In my experience Specialized is really good at standing behind their frames. You might want to try and warranty it. They've always taken care of me.
    Spec has always been good to me as well, i just got a 2011 Epic S works frame for my 2009 which cracked at no charge. If there are no signs of damage from a crash then you should get a new frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
    Spec has always been good to me as well, i just got a 2011 Epic S works frame for my 2009 which cracked at no charge. If there are no signs of damage from a crash then you should get a new frame...
    Only If you're the original owner....

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yes. Terminal. A repair will cost more than it's worth and it will likely crack again near the repaired area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U View Post
    Only If you're the original owner....
    the only reason they would know this is if you told them (so dont!)

anyhow, that crack does not look terminal, get it fixed up and ride on

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yes. Terminal. A repair will cost more than it's worth and it will likely crack again near the repaired area.
    correct. Welding to repair aluminum is nothing like welding steel. Major effort, not worth it. And I really doubt specialized will replace it. They may send you a coupon off a new one but this bike is 11 seasons old. I think it's time to strip it down and hang it on the wall in the front foyer. Tell your wife it is signed by the lung after all.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    correct. Welding to repair aluminum is nothing like welding steel. Major effort, not worth it. And I really doubt specialized will replace it. They may send you a coupon off a new one but this bike is 11 seasons old. I think it's time to strip it down and hang it on the wall in the front foyer. Tell your wife it is signed by the lung after all.
    why? you can get this thing welded and ride it until it really cracks. i mean, unless you got money pouring out of you pockets, why retire a bike on a partial crack? any welding shop worth anything can fix this and you are back in business

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    why? you can get this thing welded and ride it until it really cracks. i mean, unless you got money pouring out of you pockets, why retire a bike on a partial crack? any welding shop worth anything can fix this and you are back in business
    Aluminum simply is not a frame material you repair easily. You'd need to strip it, weld it, heat treat it delicately so as not to effect the rest of the frame.

Cracked frames are like cracked helmets-go ahead, but rider beware.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Most shops require you to now show a receipt so being dishonest no longer gets you a new frame. I thinks it's completely a fair request since that's the deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    the only reason they would know this is if you told them (so dont!)
    As a former warranty manager at a large shop tha included Specialized...you are required to show proof of purchase from an auhorized Specialized retailer. This is the case with prety much any company.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I have a hard time understanding the logistics of why one must be the original owner. What's the reasoning behind it?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I have a hard time understanding the logistics of why one must be the original owner. What's the reasoning behind it?
    Because the warranty is a big reason to buy a new bike. If every used bike had warranties, why buy new?

And let's face it, if you ride it long and hard enough, every bike is gonna break. They'd be processing warranty claims on every bike they ever made.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Now I know, thanks man

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

- Rob
    Don't worry about how old the bike is, back in january of this year my 2001 enduro fsr developed a crack at the weld by the top tube/seat post. Specialized did warranty the bike (took them 5 months to send ) with a 2010 Enduro Pro. I was the original order and had my receipt The color scheme is all off now..but I can't complain

mtbr member
    More than likely if you are the original owner you will either get a new frame or a new frame after a nominal charge. It depends on if they consider the damaged area part of the suspension. Please don't ride the bike anymore, you risk serious injury by doing so. As far as repairing, it is probably more trouble and costly than it's worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Terminal!!