b2m
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Could you tell me about this bike?

For all you Specialized riders. My friend had this bike he didn't want anymore and thought its life was over. He ended up giving it to me. I put new tubes, tires, grips, and had it tuned up, now it rides like new. My question is, how old is this bike? And when it came it out, was it a top of the line, middle of the road, or a low end bike? Thanks for the input, if any.

The Other Dude
    pics would help
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That looks like a 98 or 99 Rockhopper FSR. From memory the pecking order at that time was Hardrock, Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, S-Works (e.g. at that time there was no such thing as an S-Works Stumpjumper). For free it's fine. Ride it as is and have fun. I wouldn't advise letting upgradeitis get ahold of you. Save money you would have put into upgrades for a new bike if you get to a point where you want/need one.

b2m
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't plan putting any money into it, my main ride is a Fisher Rig. For free, I just couldn't pass it up, I'll probably use it to run to the store and cruise the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Nice one! I had one back in around '98 ish... bought it before I put lots of money into a Stumpjumper as this was my first touch of suspension since riding a 'rubbish' (lol) Offroad Proflex (remember them with rubber elastomer suspension... haha haven't things moved on).

Great photo - really brought back some great memories for me... Go the whole hog and get silly with upgrades for fun - for the price you can't knock it.

Have fun out on them trails