mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Could use a little help. Hardrock vs. HR Disc

I called my LBS shop today to get the prices of each and ended up getting a lesson on the bikes. He said that at this price point disc brakes aren't really worth it and won't give me better braking power over rim brakes. His reason was that the disc brakes that are on it only grab the disc from one side. I don't know much, if anything about disc brakes, but it just sounded kind of odd to me. Is that correct? Are the disc brakes any good? And if the disc brakes are good to go is the $80 premium worth it if most of my riding will be on paved bike path and maybe 3-4 times a year going to Brown County State Park and the surrounding area for trails?

Tyler

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    IMO, if you're going to spring for disc brakes, spring for the Sport Disc model. It comes with better disc brakes and several other benefits over the base model and regular Disc model Hardrocks.

For your usage, V-brakes will likely be enough. Just be sure your usage isn't going to escalate Mine did, and I'm glad I didn't by the Crossride hybrid thingy that would have been enough for my initial needs!

Cthulhu fhtagn
    the hardrock disc comes with tektro disc brakes which are pretty low end. they work ok but really arent much better then the rim brakes. if i were you id get the cheaper bike and then upgrade to disc brakes later. you can add some BB7 brakes down the road for around $100 and youll be way better off

you might actually find that the rim brakes are just fine and not need to upgrade
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    SuPrBuGmAn- I don't see my usage changing as I live about 1.5 to 2 hours away from any trails according to trails.com.

Mike- By cheaper bike do you mean the one without discs? I was under the impression that if I wanted to upgrade to discs I'd have to get new wheels which would be a good chunk of change?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    spend the cash and get the dics youll regret later if you want to upgrade.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    i assumed the hubs would be disc ready, the specialized site shows the fronts as being disc ready but not the back. could be a typo either way i guess. if they are disc ready then you wont have any problems
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just picked up a crossride-crosstrail sport disk brake 2011 got those cheap tektro brakes but hyd. So far they seem to work alright, I am a featherweight so sure it helps.

Change of tires is whats needed for heavy trail dirt .action

Tire size is cool, I measure 27 1/2 inches, its in between a 26er--29er.700c x 45c

I think 29 tires will fit, front for sure.

Can always upgrade the brakes, check out ebay for new or almost new brakes, here is a 2009 Avid Ultimate Juicy 7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Last edited by Skylor; 10-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Decent-quality disc brakes are a definite improvement over Vs. The low-end mechanical ones... not such a clear-cut difference. I think they're still a little better in the mud, but really no better in dry conditions.

The poster who mentioned upgrading has a good point, though. If the wheels don't have disc hubs, you'll have to replace them to do the upgrade. Similar issue with 7-speed drivetrains - higher-end drivetrains will require a different rear wheel. In that case, you might think of the Tektros as a placeholder for a better brake system down the road.

If you're just cruising on bike paths, though, I don't think it's worth paying more for discs. If you start getting into riding trails, you'll probably want a higher spec. in almost every aspect of the bike. You might ask your shop if there are any closer trails. trails.com seems not to have everything in my area, and has different names for some trails than what local mountain bikers call them - it might be missing something closer to you too.

Much as I hate to say it, you might also think about a road bike. If there really aren't any trails near you, it'll facilitate much more interesting riding than a mountain bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Decent-quality disc brakes are a definite improvement over Vs. The low-end mechanical ones... not such a clear-cut difference. I think they're still a little better in the mud, but really no better in dry conditions.

The poster who mentioned upgrading has a good point, though. If the wheels don't have disc hubs, you'll have to replace them to do the upgrade. Similar issue with 7-speed drivetrains - higher-end drivetrains will require a different rear wheel. In that case, you might think of the Tektros as a placeholder for a better brake system down the road.

If you're just cruising on bike paths, though, I don't think it's worth paying more for discs. If you start getting into riding trails, you'll probably want a higher spec. in almost every aspect of the bike. You might ask your shop if there are any closer trails. trails.com seems not to have everything in my area, and has different names for some trails than what local mountain bikers call them - it might be missing something closer to you too.

Much as I hate to say it, you might also think about a road bike. If there really aren't any trails near you, it'll facilitate much more interesting riding than a mountain bike.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I would really like a MTB to hit some trails when I go to the Indy area to visit family a couple times a year.