Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Listen! Corporate sabotage??? Who has the best engineers???

Well not quite but Specializedís obviously knows there are better engineers than their own. I couldn't see if anyone else had put this up here so I thought I would.

THEY KNOW

Click on the link to see [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Mike Sinyardís letter to the Cannondale engineers.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

Last edited by EGF168; 02-20-2008 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I have to say I was expecting uproar, this needs your attention, you should stand by your chosen manufacturer, Specialized needs your help, poaching engineers from other companies has suddenly stated to backfire on them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=2]Iíd also like to draw your attention to this thread and photographic evidence:

Where to find the best bike engineers...

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

engineers for cannondale

we will have to see how much the engineers at cannondale like working for pacific cycle who just bought them.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Dorel are who actually just bought Cannondale. Pacific cycles is part of Dorel. I sincerely doubt weather anything will change. I suspect Cannondale will have more money to fund their activities though. I know they are going to split Cannondale into 2 parts, the value end and the top end stuff. It will be a few yrs before you notice any difference as they are just about to bring out the new Rize and Moto so they get a couple of yrs to design new bikes and see if we notice the difference.
    [/SIZE]

Awesome not Rad

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Dorel are who actually just bought Cannondale. Pacific cycles is part of Dorel. I sincerely doubt weather anything will change. I suspect Cannondale will have more money to fund their activities though. I know they are going to split Cannondale into 2 parts, the value end and the top end stuff. It will be a few yrs before you notice any difference as they are just about to bring out the new Rize and Moto so they get a couple of yrs to design new bikes and see if we notice the difference.
    [/SIZE]
    Good Point EGF!!

Awesome not Rad

Good job!

[/SIZE]
    Good Point EGF!!
    Dorel made the purchase of Cannondale and striped Pacific (mass) of any IBD responsabilities. Will things change for C'dale, yes of course it will. Is status que a good thing? Hell NO! But one can only assume that changes will not be drastic nor immediate if Dorel wants to see a return on their $200million purchase. Dorel bought C'Dale cause they Kick Ass not because they are some floundering merger gone bad.

Awesome not Rad
    Specialized or Special Lies

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I donít see what the big deal is. This happens all the time in all industries when ownership of a company changes. Iíve been called many times when the companies I worked for went through changes. Iíve also called friends of mine when their companies went through changes. Itís business, donít read too much into what Specialized is doing.

mtbr member
    Oh, man, lets be comprehensive to them... They lack experience, so I think Specialized just wanted some Leftys to put in the place of their failing E-150 Future Shocks (is this what future holds? What a shock! ). Was that, or they really wanted to know how to build a good bike. But personally, I just think they wanted new friends!

FULL FORCE AHEAD, SPECIALIZED!!!!

mtbr member
    This is what we call business,,,,,,, even simpletons know this. Specialized rules!
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    OMG!!!! Specialized is looking to hire talented people to work for it?!??! ALERT THE MEDIA!
    :wq

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think there is a right way and a wrong way to go after a competitors employees, and the Specialized way is definitely the wrong way! I couldnít imagine my companyís HR department sending emails with our letterhead to our competitorís employees, or vise versa. This is usually done with third party recruiters. Considering how quickly they take legal action against others, their legal department should know better (assuming their attorneys cleared those emails). I really wouldnít be surprised if Cannondale pursued legal action against Specialized on this one. The folks at Specialized either have really big balls or are really stupid. Maybe both. What a shame, because they really do have some nice bikes.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yes, I agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to get new people in. No other bike company would try this crap so why does Specialized do it and then think they can get away with it. Generally most bike manufactures get along with each other and don’t try any of the rubbish Specialized does. It’s not just this that has annoyed me, there’s a lot of good European bike that cant be sold in the US because Specialized doesn’t want competition in the Horst link market, Lapierre and Scott are examples, Scott has now been forced to use an inferior suspension system on the rear of their Spark because they needed to sell bikes in the US.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by EGF168; 02-22-2008 at 09:59 AM.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [SIZE=2]Yes, I agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to get new people in. No other bike company would try this crap so why does Specialized do it and then think they can get away with it. Generally most bike manufactures get along with each other and donít try any of the rubbish Specialized does. Itís not just this that has annoyed me, thereís a lot of good European bike that cant be sold in the US because Specialized doesnít want competition in the Horst link market, Lapierre and Scott are examples, Scott has now bee forced to use an inferior suspension system on the rear of their Spark because they needed to sell bikes in the US.
    [/SIZE]
    I wouldn't use the word forced. Specialized has the patent and anyone is free to use it, if they pay for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    This is what we call business,,,,,,, even simpletons know this.
    Well I know some one over at Smaller Bike Manufacturing set up in the Boston area , and he was telling me how, they had received a couple of Resume from Cannondale employees.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JSQ
    I wouldn't use the word forced. Specialized has the patent and anyone is free to use it, if they pay for it.
    Not exactly. While some MFRs would design and build bikes using the Horst Link location and worry about the licensing fees (and lawsuits) after the fact, this was not the case with Scott.

Upon returning to the US marketplace, Scott actually approached Specialized directly, offered upfront to license and pay for the use of the HL, in order to sell their Genius bikes stateside. Specialized simply said, "No thanks," and refused to license its use to Scott.

Interestingly enough, the US is the only market where the HL patent applies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dje31
    Not exactly. While some MFRs would design and build bikes using the Horst Link location and worry about the licensing fees (and lawsuits) after the fact, this was not the case with Scott.

Upon returning to the US marketplace, Scott actually approached Specialized directly, offered upfront to license and pay for the use of the HL, in order to sell their Genius bikes stateside. Specialized simply said, "No thanks," and refused to license its use to Scott.

Interestingly enough, the US is the only market where the HL patent applies.
    And the problem is?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]The problem is that Scott know how to build better bikes than Specialized but is being forced not to for various reason by Specialized. Another example is Lapierre, SC & Intense made it pretty clear that they wouldnít be licensing the VPP system out which explains why there are no X-controlís in the US but they were actually quite close to signing a Horst link contract when the brought out the new Zesty and Spicy line of bike when Spesh walked out on the deal meaning they couldnít sell their bikes in the US.

All that left for me to say is look at the size of this unlicensed Horst link:

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    So, you're butthurt because:

1. A. A company has a legal right to a design (they purchased and followed the proper legal channels to own it)
    2. B. Because they want to protect their interests in one of their largest markets, they won't allow competitors in who would use their legally licensed product
    3. C. All of the above

Please select the answer that most closely matches your whine.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]No, now you are just being childish, of course this isnít the whole reason why I dislike the company, itís just one of many that add up to make me dislike Spesh. If you come up with your own design I think you should be able to do what you like with it. But Spesh is not the original owner of the Horst link so I believe they should have no right to guard it like some frightened child trying to stop other companies using it because they are scared they cant make better bikes.

[SIZE=2]In case your wondering, from when I started this thread, I do actually own a Specialized and a Cannondale.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Actually its more their ethics and how they are not a nice company that pisses me off.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]No, now you are just being childish, of course this isnít the whole reason why I dislike the company, itís just one of many that add up to make me dislike Spesh. If you come up with your own design I think you should be able to do what you like with it. But Spesh is not the original owner of the Horst link so I believe they should have no right to guard it like some frightened child trying to stop other companies using it because they are scared they cant make better bikes.

[SIZE=2]In case your wondering, from when I started this thread, I do actually own a Specialized and a Cannondale.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    They paid for the licensing to the product. They own it. They're just protecting their market share from competition - it doesn't mean other companies do, don't, could or couldn't make better bikes. It's just corporate politics.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Actually its more their ethics and how they are not a nice company that pisses me off.
    [/SIZE]
    Come on. They're just competitive.

What about all the awards they win - sustainability, the good things they do for the environment and are recognized for, helping IBDs in Africa, etc, etc? There's two sides to every story and I'm sure the other bike manufacturers are just as "mean" from time-to-time. It just seems like it's popular to hate spesh.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Bothered!

If you cast you eyeballs towards my user name you will see I am now boycotting Specialized, my next bike will almost certainly be a Cannondale Rize 4 European model in white with white Hayes Strokerís.

If I want to help Africa I will buy a Kona or get some fair trade coffee.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Happy boycotting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast