Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Listen! Corporate sabotage??? Who has the best engineers???

Well not quite but Specializedís obviously knows there are better engineers than their own. I couldn't see if anyone else had put this up here so I thought I would.

THEY KNOW

Click on the link to see Mike Sinyardís letter to the Cannondale engineers.

Last edited by EGF168; 02-20-2008 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I have to say I was expecting uproar, this needs your attention, you should stand by your chosen manufacturer, Specialized needs your help, poaching engineers from other companies has suddenly stated to backfire on them.

Iíd also like to draw your attention to this thread and photographic evidence:

Where to find the best bike engineers...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

engineers for cannondale

we will have to see how much the engineers at cannondale like working for pacific cycle who just bought them.

mtbr member
    Dorel are who actually just bought Cannondale. Pacific cycles is part of Dorel. I sincerely doubt weather anything will change. I suspect Cannondale will have more money to fund their activities though. I know they are going to split Cannondale into 2 parts, the value end and the top end stuff. It will be a few yrs before you notice any difference as they are just about to bring out the new Rize and Moto so they get a couple of yrs to design new bikes and see if we notice the difference.

Awesome not Rad

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Dorel are who actually just bought Cannondale. Pacific cycles is part of Dorel. I sincerely doubt weather anything will change. I suspect Cannondale will have more money to fund their activities though. I know they are going to split Cannondale into 2 parts, the value end and the top end stuff. It will be a few yrs before you notice any difference as they are just about to bring out the new Rize and Moto so they get a couple of yrs to design new bikes and see if we notice the difference.
    Good Point EGF!!

Awesome not Rad

Good job!

Good Point EGF!!
    Dorel made the purchase of Cannondale and striped Pacific (mass) of any IBD responsabilities. Will things change for C'dale, yes of course it will. Is status que a good thing? Hell NO! But one can only assume that changes will not be drastic nor immediate if Dorel wants to see a return on their $200million purchase. Dorel bought C'Dale cause they Kick Ass not because they are some floundering merger gone bad.

Awesome not Rad
    Specialized or Special Lies

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I donít see what the big deal is. This happens all the time in all industries when ownership of a company changes. Iíve been called many times when the companies I worked for went through changes. Iíve also called friends of mine when their companies went through changes. Itís business, donít read too much into what Specialized is doing.

mtbr member
    Oh, man, lets be comprehensive to them... They lack experience, so I think Specialized just wanted some Leftys to put in the place of their failing E-150 Future Shocks (is this what future holds? What a shock! ). Was that, or they really wanted to know how to build a good bike. But personally, I just think they wanted new friends!

FULL FORCE AHEAD, SPECIALIZED!!!!

mtbr member
    This is what we call business,,,,,,, even simpletons know this. Specialized rules!
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    OMG!!!! Specialized is looking to hire talented people to work for it?!??! ALERT THE MEDIA!
    :wq

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think there is a right way and a wrong way to go after a competitors employees, and the Specialized way is definitely the wrong way! I couldnít imagine my companyís HR department sending emails with our letterhead to our competitorís employees, or vise versa. This is usually done with third party recruiters. Considering how quickly they take legal action against others, their legal department should know better (assuming their attorneys cleared those emails). I really wouldnít be surprised if Cannondale pursued legal action against Specialized on this one. The folks at Specialized either have really big balls or are really stupid. Maybe both. What a shame, because they really do have some nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Yes, I agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to get new people in. No other bike company would try this crap so why does Specialized do it and then think they can get away with it. Generally most bike manufactures get along with each other and don’t try any of the rubbish Specialized does. It’s not just this that has annoyed me, there’s a lot of good European bike that cant be sold in the US because Specialized doesn’t want competition in the Horst link market, Lapierre and Scott are examples, Scott has now been forced to use an inferior suspension system on the rear of their Spark because they needed to sell bikes in the US.
    Last edited by EGF168; 02-22-2008 at 09:59 AM.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, I agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to get new people in. No other bike company would try this crap so why does Specialized do it and then think they can get away with it. Generally most bike manufactures get along with each other and donít try any of the rubbish Specialized does. Itís not just this that has annoyed me, thereís a lot of good European bike that cant be sold in the US because Specialized doesnít want competition in the Horst link market, Lapierre and Scott are examples, Scott has now bee forced to use an inferior suspension system on the rear of their Spark because they needed to sell bikes in the US.
    I wouldn't use the word forced. Specialized has the patent and anyone is free to use it, if they pay for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    This is what we call business,,,,,,, even simpletons know this.
    Well I know some one over at Smaller Bike Manufacturing set up in the Boston area , and he was telling me how, they had received a couple of Resume from Cannondale employees.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JSQ
    I wouldn't use the word forced. Specialized has the patent and anyone is free to use it, if they pay for it.
    Not exactly. While some MFRs would design and build bikes using the Horst Link location and worry about the licensing fees (and lawsuits) after the fact, this was not the case with Scott.

Upon returning to the US marketplace, Scott actually approached Specialized directly, offered upfront to license and pay for the use of the HL, in order to sell their Genius bikes stateside. Specialized simply said, "No thanks," and refused to license its use to Scott.

Interestingly enough, the US is the only market where the HL patent applies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dje31
    Not exactly. While some MFRs would design and build bikes using the Horst Link location and worry about the licensing fees (and lawsuits) after the fact, this was not the case with Scott.

Upon returning to the US marketplace, Scott actually approached Specialized directly, offered upfront to license and pay for the use of the HL, in order to sell their Genius bikes stateside. Specialized simply said, "No thanks," and refused to license its use to Scott.

Interestingly enough, the US is the only market where the HL patent applies.
    And the problem is?

mtbr member
    The problem is that Scott know how to build better bikes than Specialized but is being forced not to for various reason by Specialized. Another example is Lapierre, SC & Intense made it pretty clear that they wouldnít be licensing the VPP system out which explains why there are no X-controlís in the US but they were actually quite close to signing a Horst link contract when the brought out the new Zesty and Spicy line of bike when Spesh walked out on the deal meaning they couldnít sell their bikes in the US.

All that left for me to say is look at the size of this unlicensed Horst link:

mtbr member
    So, you're butthurt because:

1. A. A company has a legal right to a design (they purchased and followed the proper legal channels to own it)
    2. B. Because they want to protect their interests in one of their largest markets, they won't allow competitors in who would use their legally licensed product
    3. C. All of the above

Please select the answer that most closely matches your whine.

mtbr member
    No, now you are just being childish, of course this isnít the whole reason why I dislike the company, itís just one of many that add up to make me dislike Spesh. If you come up with your own design I think you should be able to do what you like with it. But Spesh is not the original owner of the Horst link so I believe they should have no right to guard it like some frightened child trying to stop other companies using it because they are scared they cant make better bikes.

In case your wondering, from when I started this thread, I do actually own a Specialized and a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Actually its more their ethics and how they are not a nice company that pisses me off.

mtbr member
    No, now you are just being childish, of course this isnít the whole reason why I dislike the company, itís just one of many that add up to make me dislike Spesh. If you come up with your own design I think you should be able to do what you like with it. But Spesh is not the original owner of the Horst link so I believe they should have no right to guard it like some frightened child trying to stop other companies using it because they are scared they cant make better bikes.

In case your wondering, from when I started this thread, I do actually own a Specialized and a Cannondale.
    They paid for the licensing to the product. They own it. They're just protecting their market share from competition - it doesn't mean other companies do, don't, could or couldn't make better bikes. It's just corporate politics.

mtbr member
    Actually its more their ethics and how they are not a nice company that pisses me off.
    Come on. They're just competitive.

What about all the awards they win - sustainability, the good things they do for the environment and are recognized for, helping IBDs in Africa, etc, etc? There's two sides to every story and I'm sure the other bike manufacturers are just as "mean" from time-to-time. It just seems like it's popular to hate spesh.

mtbr member
    Bothered!

If you cast you eyeballs towards my user name you will see I am now boycotting Specialized, my next bike will almost certainly be a Cannondale Rize 4 European model in white with white Hayes Strokerís.

If I want to help Africa I will buy a Kona or get some fair trade coffee.

mtbr member
    Happy boycotting

mtbr member
    But Spesh is not the original owner of the Horst link so I believe they should have no right to guard it like some frightened child trying to stop other companies using it because they are scared they cant make better bikes.

Specialized hired Leitner to come up with a new suspension design that met several goals-he came up with the Horst link. A couple of years later they bought the patent from Leitner.

So let me get this straight; they paid to have it created, then paid to secure the rights to it, but they are the bad guys for protecting their investment?

mtbr member
    That has nothing to do with why I donít like them, sure protect your investment, but as I have said earlier you shouldnít pull out of deals at the last minute. Also perhaps you havenít noticed but several times now a Specialized dealer has switched to another brand, guess what Spesh does, they open up a concept store only a few streets away. I have found their customer service to be nothing short of abysmal, I mean really abysmal, passing the buck like crazy is not considered to be customer service where I live. They have also forced Fox to stop making their Terralogic forks because they have slightly similar technologies to the Brain which was also originally designed by Fox but Spesh stabbed them in the back with lawyers. They lean very heavily on US products, now that would be fine if they worked. They at one point were buying up all the web domains of their competitors so you went to the company you wanted and you ended up at Specialized.com. Cannondale came out with the BB30 several yrs ago and let any company use it so long as they used the BB30 logo and name, but no Spesh says it is their creation and wont put the logo and name onto their road bikes that have the BB30. Most of the cycling industry supports each other and just gets on with it, but Spesh does everything it can to undermine and hinder itís competitors, no other company does this. They have no respect for other manufacturers and or their customers, as I found out they are very helpful if they can see a gain through it like fixing problems with their own brand suspension which will make them sell more in the future and keep allot of customers but as soon as someone with less wide spread problems comes along they donít want to know about it. All they know how to do is hide behind lawyers just like my neighbours, and they didnít end up happy, they got a massive bill from the lawyers and a farm roller parked across their driveway for 2 weeks (Iím not a farmer). My final point is that Specialized are just a big company with too much money that are getting scared, they know that Ibis, Giant, Cannondale, Trek and allot of other companies are easily coming out with better bikes.

I would have broken this up into paragraphs for you but it would be wasted as you wouldnít enjoy the read anyway.

I will indeed be enjoying my boycott of Specialized, itís a real shame I made the mistake of buying one of their bikes before knew the truth and what crap kit came on the bike, the kit probably isnít even that crap, itís probably Spesh sending out kit that they have pre-broken for you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's popular to hate big companies.
    LS

mtbr member
    I may as well join the club then.

backwoods and backwards
    Didn't C dale trademark the word "freeride" at one point to keep other companies from using it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K
    Didn't C dale trademark the word "freeride" at one point to keep other companies from using it?
    Yep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K
    That's not very nice.

/me boycotts cannondale.

mtbr member
    That has nothing to do with why I donít like them, sure protect your investment, but as I have said earlier you shouldnít pull out of deals at the last minute. Also perhaps you havenít noticed but several times now a Specialized dealer has switched to another brand, guess what Spesh does, they open up a concept store only a few streets away. I have found their customer service to be nothing short of abysmal, I mean really abysmal, passing the buck like crazy is not considered to be customer service where I live. They have also forced Fox to stop making their Terralogic forks because they have slightly similar technologies to the Brain which was also originally designed by Fox but Spesh stabbed them in the back with lawyers. They lean very heavily on US products, now that would be fine if they worked. They at one point were buying up all the web domains of their competitors so you went to the company you wanted and you ended up at Specialized.com. Cannondale came out with the BB30 several yrs ago and let any company use it so long as they used the BB30 logo and name, but no Spesh says it is their creation and wont put the logo and name onto their road bikes that have the BB30. Most of the cycling industry supports each other and just gets on with it, but Spesh does everything it can to undermine and hinder itís competitors, no other company does this. They have no respect for other manufacturers and or their customers, as I found out they are very helpful if they can see a gain through it like fixing problems with their own brand suspension which will make them sell more in the future and keep allot of customers but as soon as someone with less wide spread problems comes along they donít want to know about it. All they know how to do is hide behind lawyers just like my neighbours, and they didnít end up happy, they got a massive bill from the lawyers and a farm roller parked across their driveway for 2 weeks (Iím not a farmer). My final point is that Specialized are just a big company with too much money that are getting scared, they know that Ibis, Giant, Cannondale, Trek and allot of other companies are easily coming out with better bikes.

I would have broken this up into paragraphs for you but it would be wasted as you wouldnít enjoy the read anyway.

I will indeed be enjoying my boycott of Specialized, itís a real shame I made the mistake of buying one of their bikes before knew the truth and what crap kit came on the bike, the kit probably isnít even that crap, itís probably Spesh sending out kit that they have pre-broken for you.

I still don't get your "protecting their market share means they're scared because other companies build better bikes" argument, but whatever.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Well let's set the record straight about Fox and Specialized...Mike Andrews (who worked for Fox) who NOW works for Specialized designing their shocks and forks designed the BRAIN shock for the original 2003 Epic...when he was working for Specialized.

I'll break it down....
    Mike Andrews designs the BRAIN shock...while working for Specialized.
    Mike Andrews works for Fox after leaving Specialized.
    Mike Andrews returns to work for Specialized in 2006.

Hope that makes sense. BTW I love my 2008 SJ FSR PRO with the AFR shock in the rear. Light years ahead of the Fox remote BRAIN on the 06 and 07 models.

Word...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I still don't get your "protecting their market share means they're scared because other companies build better bikes" argument, but whatever.
    That statement completely misses the point, I think somewhere deep down you do understand what I am trying to say.

backwoods and backwards
    That statement completely misses the point, I think somewhere deep down you do understand what I am trying to say.
    He's saying that Specialized has a long straw, and they're drinking Cannondales's milkshake. They drink it up!

Specialized Rida
    That picture looks photoshoped.

hummm! should I?
    Dec 2005
    EGF168:
    First: if the deal is a bad one you should always pull out whether its the last minute or not, to do otherwise would be a sign of idiocy--- i have some sweet lakefront property if your interested.

BB30 is pretty bad example of Cannondale allowing others to use what they develop. BB30 is not really in the same league as far as bicycle developments go as the horst link is. Would Cannondale allow me to make my own version of the scalpel and it to market as long as I put the Cannondale moniker on the rear end? Of course not I would probably get a very nasty "cease and desist" letter wouldn't I? What if I wanted to make a "head shock?" Cdale would not allow me or anyone to use any development that makes them money without purchasing the liscense from them--just like Merlin does/did with the head shocks.

If you have a problem with Spesh because they enforce the patents they own then you also should have the same problem with Cdale.

If you dislike a company and your reasons apply to others, but you choose not to hate them then you are just a hater and you should state that rather than try to feed us all a bunch of bullpuckey.

mtbr member
    Once again some idiot misses the point of what I was saying and changed what I have said to suit himself.

Neither company I spoke of could have know that it was a bad deal.

Once again I think you fully understand what I have said and have subconsciously failed to notice the main reason why I donít like them which I berried in post 2 on this page.

I like bikes
    If you are boycotting spesh why don't you stay off this forum then! good bye

mtbr member
    ER! And whoís going to stop me, as you may have noticed I have a Specialized and therefore as long as I donít cause problems on any threads apart from my own I have just as much right to be here as you do.

Itís always nice to see someone new who thinks they can roll up and usurp you.

mtbr member
    Once again some idiot misses the point of what I was saying and changed what I have said to suit himself.
    Oooooh, resorting to personal attacks. Way to get your point across.

d12294: Basically, EGF has said he doesn't like Specialized because of:

1) Their ethics
    2) Not a nice company

Yet everything he's talked about so far as reasons that they are:

1) Unethical
    2) Mean

has been about Specialized enforcing their patents. Thus, you have been led to believe that Specialized is:

1) Unethical
    2) Mean

Because Specialized:

1) Enforces their patents

Which means:

1) EGF doesn't understand how patent law works
    2) Doesn't understand the actual history behind the reasons he's listed that they are both unethical and mean.

Past that, he hasn't said much and will not respond to any questions as to his reasoning with anything other than "I think you know what I mean." This leads me to believe he is:

1) Uninformed
    2) Has no facts that support his claim
    3) Will resort to personal attacks henceforth.

mtbr member
    I wouldnít call that a personal attack, every one gats called an idiot some when, unless you have lead a very sheltered existence in a beech hut.

I understand fine how the patent law works, having filed one with my dad a few yrs ago.

You havenít actually posted any questions, just comments.

All the reasons I have given are true and accurate.

If you had received customer service like I had (which I notice is the only point you are ignoring) you would also hate Specialized and boycott them.

mtbr member
    I wouldnít call that a personal attack, every one gats called an idiot some when, unless you have lead a very sheltered existence in a beech hut.

wow

If you had received customer service like I had (which I notice is the only point you are ignoring) you would also hate Specialized and boycott them.
    OK, you had bad customer service. Sell your Specialized and move on. After all, there are so many better bikes out there, and Specialized are a bunch of unethical meanie-heads.

mtbr member
    OK, you had bad customer service. Sell your Specialized and move on. After all, there are so many better bikes out there, and Specialized are a bunch of unethical meanie-heads.
    I completely agree with you and am in the process of doing just as you suggest, with the exception that I wont sell the bike as I have spent allot of money getting it ride able from itĎs stock condition and it now rides nicely.

Cannondale Rize 4
    Marin MtVision
    Trek Fuel EX9
    Lapierre X-control

Most of them I would make some changes to the kit, what do you think of those?

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden any of those . I used to be a huge fan of Marin but didn't like the last one I had, and don't like the look of their current line. The Rize looks cool and I like the Treks.

I want the Fisher Superfly

mtbr member
    Fisher Superfly you say? Those are nice, this is the nicest I have seen so far:

SuperFly Update with new Orange bits and a diet...

Itís a bit of odd dilemma with those bikes I have chosen, for me the ride will likely be best on the Trek, however I want a simple/clean rear end like the Dale or Marin because there is so much mud where I live, the mud has completely trashed the seat stay arch on my Stumpy, I am sure the Lapierre will surprise me how good it is, but the Dale is still my favourite but I havenít ridden it and I need to find out if my chosen dealer can actually get a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Come on. They're just competitive.

What about all the awards they win - sustainability, the good things they do for the environment and are recognized for, helping IBDs in Africa, etc, etc? There's two sides to every story and I'm sure the other bike manufacturers are just as "mean" from time-to-time. It just seems like it's popular to hate spesh.
    Follow up to your comments about Africa, just read this, I told you Kona was helping Africa: http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2737

Stray Bullet
    Since when is trying to recruit employees from a competitor sabotage? Nothing unethical about it.

Stealing documents, marketing information, engineering information, mucking with production...unethical.

Offering someone a job not.

What bike you own has absolutely is not relation to who you are as a person. Buy a bike and then learn how to ride it.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Uhmmm, can you say DOCTORED SCREEN?

At least make the fonts look like the rest of the screen. Photoshop offers all sorts of classes on line to help your pictures look the best they possibly can.

Amature....

I have to say I was expecting uproar, this needs your attention, you should stand by your chosen manufacturer, Specialized needs your help, poaching engineers from other companies has suddenly stated to backfire on them.

Iíd also like to draw your attention to this thread and photographic evidence:

Where to find the best bike engineers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast